Overheating Problems? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
MV1

Question Overheating Problems?

I've had my F4 for a couple of years now and although I usually love it and have nothing but praise to say about it, I have had my share of problems with it as well. One of the biggest and most concerning to me has been the heating issues. I've personally had items on my bike melt and or warped by the temperatures generated by the motor (including the fan blades themselves) in even light traffic conditions. I'm thinking this stuff was obvously not by design and probably won't be good for the bikes long term. I've also heard other here on the forum complain about these same trype issue and was wondering how many of us are dealling with it?
Is it limited to certain years, or models? or is it across the board for all the F4 models?
What if anything have you, or your dealer been able to do to correct it?
Do the Brutale guy's have these issues as well, or are they spared because of there naked status?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:45 AM

My F4's body panels are a little warped where they meet with the bellypan, around the vent cut-out, and getting the dzuz fasteners out can be a pain around there, but I don't think it's got any worse over the last 1000 miles. (Approx 2600 total.)

I've made a habit of running the fans after stopping just to help cool the headers, as it's obviously their close proximity that warps the fairings.

I saw an early F4 at a dealership recently which had a lot worse warping than mine. In fact it was so bad the plastic had cracked because of it.

Mine only has a single radiator, but I've been told by dealers that the 2 rad mod didn't really help. The problem's not in the external cooling ability, it's in the minimal internal pathways to make the engine smaller. (Apparently..)

Si
post #3 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
MV1

Yeah this is one of the typical results of the overheating / fairing clearance / ventilation problems. It's also something that seems to develop over a few long rides too. Like I mean your not going to get this the first time out, especially on if it's a short blast, but if you run it long enough on a couple of hot days you begin to notice it happening. Trust me it drives you crazy, because it looks like crap and there really no fix for it. At least that I know of.
PK

Last edited by Paul Kelly; 06-18-2007 at 09:51 AM.
post #4 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 05:07 PM

Overheating is a major issue as one can tell by the numerous threads on this site about it. Several weeks ago I got stuck in highway construction traffic jam and bike hit 261 degrees (it was about 75-80 ambient).

I just took my bike in for 600 mile service (ok, 720 mile service) and the guy said "ah yeah thats normal for these bikes, always too hot" he didnt seem at all alarmed at the 261 degree mark. Normal trafic temps for me (i.e., going thru town, a few red lights etc.) is 220-240 degrees.

Frankly, it has me wondering if there isn't a strong basis for legal action here, i.e., breach of the implied warranty of fitness or implied warranty of merchantability; MV knows where and how these bikes will be used, and knows that traffic (low speed) situations are foreseeable and unavoidable. The bikes (at least the 1000s) do not appear fit for their intended purpose, and actual damage has occurred (melted fan blades, warped panels, etc.). For example, I know I would not be able to ride for 25 minutes and then stop the bike and let it sit running for 10 minutes without it overheating. Thus, the bike is not fit for its intended purpose since it should not overheat even sitting still.

Seems to me like a ripe area for a class action to get us all some upgraded fan blades, high capacity fans and radiators, and have it all paid for. Moreover, such an action would sort of force MV to deal with this issue in the next generation of bike(s) and not dump the problem on the owners.

If this exact issue arose in Fords or Chryslers, it would have been dealt with swiftly either by the manufacturer or by the courts.
post #5 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to quickfixx
over heating and other issues with mv

i agree with you , i have reported them to the highway administration and think every owner should. i have yet to send the paperwork back though. everyone complains but noone seems to actually standup and take action.

Last edited by quickfixx; 06-18-2007 at 06:49 PM. Reason: update
post #6 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Established Member

Question

you guys thought about using water wetter or engine ice to keep the temp down???? ive heard nothing but great things about those products!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

95 ducati 916[funeral]
06 brutale 910s-[sold]
05 f4 1000s[sold]
05 aprilia tuono factory R[best bike ever made !!!]
07 aprilia sxv 5.5 supermoto[sold]

FINE WINE,FINE FOOD, FINE WOMEN,FINE CARS AND FINE MOTORCYCLES.!!!
ITALY !!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:34 PM

I am sure this has been beaten to death but water wetter would not do anything to keep the temp down but allows better heat exchange to prevent local "hot spots" which results "early" evaporation. "Bulk" temperature (heat capacity) of the coolant remains the same under given conditions with or w/o water wetter.

I had my first ride with my bike yesterday. It heated up pretty quickly at traffic lights to blinking 235F and beyond. Today after work, I stripped the fairings off and studied it a little bit. Also checked the coolant level. It was near MIN level and when I pinched the upper radiator upper hose, there was a gurgling air sound. When I squeezed air came out from the tank but it was sucking the air back. I filled the tank with 50/50 mixture to the level where return hose was located. After few more squeeze, gurgling sounds disappeared. When I warmed the engine up, it went up to 205F, fans kicked in and temp dropped to 195F and stayed there (stationary bike). I've noticed No:3 (from left to right) header was glowing red by the mean time. When I killed the engine, fans stopped too.

My conclusion is that the dealer prep was lousy to say the least while filling it up and not bothering to check if there was any air trapped in the coolant system. They've earned one minus score so far from me which I will let them know about.

'08 312
'15 K1300S Motorsport
post #8 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbike-italia
you guys thought about using water wetter or engine ice to keep the temp down???? ive heard nothing but great things about those products!!

+100
post #9 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:02 PM Thread Starter
MV1

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obmot
Overheating is a major issue as one can tell by the numerous threads on this site about it. Several weeks ago I got stuck in highway construction traffic jam and bike hit 261 degrees (it was about 75-80 ambient).

I just took my bike in for 600 mile service (ok, 720 mile service) and the guy said "ah yeah thats normal for these bikes, always too hot" he didnt seem at all alarmed at the 261 degree mark. Normal trafic temps for me (i.e., going thru town, a few red lights etc.) is 220-240 degrees.

Frankly, it has me wondering if there isn't a strong basis for legal action here, i.e., breach of the implied warranty of fitness or implied warranty of merchantability; MV knows where and how these bikes will be used, and knows that traffic (low speed) situations are foreseeable and unavoidable. The bikes (at least the 1000s) do not appear fit for their intended purpose, and actual damage has occurred (melted fan blades, warped panels, etc.). For example, I know I would not be able to ride for 25 minutes and then stop the bike and let it sit running for 10 minutes without it overheating. Thus, the bike is not fit for its intended purpose since it should not overheat even sitting still.

Seems to me like a ripe area for a class action to get us all some upgraded fan blades, high capacity fans and radiators, and have it all paid for. Moreover, such an action would sort of force MV to deal with this issue in the next generation of bike(s) and not dump the problem on the owners.

If this exact issue arose in Fords or Chryslers, it would have been dealt with swiftly either by the manufacturer or by the courts.

I couldn't agree with you more Obmot. This has become a pretty big problem, that probably should have been addressed by the manufacture a long time ago and it annoys me that their not being forthright or honest about correcting it. For the most part I do love the MV and how wonderful the design turned out, but having to deal with production errors like this, that are serious enough to give you that "sinking feeling" just at the site of some traffic developing ahead really sucks ass. What is really annoying me now is the seemingly scripted responses you get from those involved. I mean I think we've all heard some version of the MV temperature speech. It almost doesn't matter were you purchased the bike from they all seems to sing the same song and try to tell you "it's normal for these types of bikes", "it's a high compression motor and all". I mean how long do they plain on playing stupid for? Every damn modern sportbike motor made now a days is made with a fucking high compression motor, but most of them have a cooling system designed to handle it. And despite what they try to say no combustion motor vehicle made for production use (high compression or otherwise) should ever run over the 220 - 235F range for any period of time.(period) Anyone that says otherwise is either mislead, full of shit, or completely out of their crazy minds. I'm sorry for the rant , but the bullshit really has to stop in order for anything to change.
post #10 of 131 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 11:12 PM

you shouldnt be sorry, you are right to be angry, mv should fix this problem, if my 05 1000s doesnt have a overheating problem, neither should other mv models, there is a problem somewhere along the line, i mean i ride in traffic and the outside temps are 100+ deg fer. and my bike is still under 220 deg. that is very normal temp. i dont know why your bikes are not the same. but if u ask me, i would say there is a problem and that problem should have a fix, u just have to find it. i would try alluminum fan blades, engine ice, and redline water wetter if i were u.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode