How far does your F4 lean on its side stand? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

How far does your F4 lean on its side stand?

Since dropping my F4 last week, I've become a bit nervous of the side stand. It was my fault it went down, but I can't help thinking my bike tends to lean a bit further than other bikes on its stand, and I have to lean it a long way to set it down, (which makes it easier to drop!)

I've checked the mountings and they're all secure, so it's not like its working loose. Are they all like this, or is mine bending with time? Are the stands on later bikes any longer? I quite often put a half-inch block of wood under mine if it's parked on anything other than the flattest of surfaces, and I can completely forget about trying to park it on the left side of a road with a cambered gutter.

Are sidestands Tamburini's Achilles heal? Was the genius sleeping in that class?

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 06:31 AM

New Site Garage
it's supposed to lean that far. it gets more attention that way.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna
2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM

You can always put a small block of wood under the sidestand when at home to keep it more upright. No more than an inch (25mm) in height should do it...

2007 F4 1000R 1+1 Red/Silver - RG3, Race ECU, mid pipe, factory impeller, recall cam tensioner, MV alcantara/leather seats. Owned since new in 2007!!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 AM

Not yet being an F4 owner (tomorrow I pick it up) I seem to remember that the rear ride height is a bit adjustable? If its set too high then the bike will lean more. The good part about a higher rear ride height is the bike turns in faster!

Correct me if Im wrong.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 AM Thread Starter

That's a good point. I had my bike set up a couple of months ago at Baines, (and totally transformed the handling - it was awful before!)

Getting rid of the static sag as they did will have made it lean further. Thanks for reminding me of that, it explains a lot. So my sidestand isn't bending afterall!!

Si
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
That's a good point. I had my bike set up a couple of months ago at Baines, (and totally transformed the handling - it was awful before!)

Getting rid of the static sag as they did will have made it lean further. Thanks for reminding me of that, it explains a lot. So my sidestand isn't bending afterall!!

Si
Awful handling? It probably wasn't awful... Just not as good as it is now

I have a 5/8" piece of plywood I use, but that's also so my stand doesn't sink into the molten asphalt we get out here in the middle of the day.

My bike leans over quite a bit. I have lots of rear ride height because I set it up that way, and also I have a huge rear tire. It seems like it leans too much with that setup.

My stand has also come a bit loose once and that caused even more lean.

Yes, these stands are silly. I think breakage is rare, but it should really be non-existant. Not rare.

'01 F4S
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Awful handling? It probably wasn't awful... Just not as good as it is now
No really, it was. The bike would tip the bars in when leant over and consequently try to countersteer away from the turn and stay upright. I had to really fight to stop it doing that, or crank the steering damper up too high.

It wasn't all due to setup mind. I don't think the 7 year old tyres helped much!

The guy at Baines said he'd never seen an MV F4 750 handle properly on standard settings, and he'd PDI's many in the past. There was an horrific amount of static sag as he showed me.

I got to ride it for about 80 miles between fitting new tyres and the setup done, and whilst the tyres helped, the handling was still pretty bad. I guess I'd been spoiled by my 748, which I'd got sorted perfectly. Since the Baines setup, my MV has been amazing, and I can see what everyone raves about. Before then I thought you were all mad...

Si
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-18-2007, 09:37 AM

My 750 never handled properly until I replaced the rear spring with a heavier one. The amount of preload it took to get the static sag correct was far too much. It wasn't horrible, but far from where it should have been.

I never liked the original tires either. They had to go.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode