Info for a newbie to MV. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

Info for a newbie to MV.

Hello everyone, I'm new to the MV world and am wanting to buy a MV Senna (which I will never find) so will probably settle for the F4 1000R. I have given up on Ducati (had a Tricoloure, see post 25,000 down the crapper in "other marques") and have a few questions for all of the faithfull MV people here.

1)How comfortable are they, is there a lot of weight put on the wrists? (thats really all I'm concerned with)
2)How is the reliability?
3)How good is the handling?
4)Does this bike really not need a slipper clutch with the 2nd cylinder pop up valve opening? (not sure what they call it)
5)How good is the torque, it being an in-line engine? (have only ever had V-twins)
6)Quality, Craftsmanship, Fit & Finish? (I realized very quick with the Ducati, that beauty was only skin deep)

So, any and all info is more than welcomed, if you think there is something I should know, please post it. Thank you for your time guys, Peace, Love and Good Rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 11:54 PM

Don't give up! 7 Sennas (new and used ) for sale on cycletrader. I've never ridden one, but I can tell you that for #6, they are quite spectacular! Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:20 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoinMan
1)How comfortable are they, is there a lot of weight put on the wrists? (thats really all I'm concerned with)
4)Does this bike really not need a slipper clutch with the 2nd cylinder pop up valve opening? (not sure what they call it)
5)How good is the torque, it being an in-line engine? (have only ever had V-twins)
6)Quality, Craftsmanship, Fit & Finish? (I realized very quick with the Ducati, that beauty was only skin deep)
This is my assessment. I'm sure others will chime in with differnent opinions, all equilly valid.

1. It's a race bike, and the riding position is setup as such. I also have problems on long rides with the weight over the front. I find my hands get numb after about 200 miles. However, having all that weight up front is how you want it on the track!

2. Awesome. IMHO, the engine is bulletproof. Mine has been ridden hard and it PURRS like a kitten. Last valve service inspection, the numbers were exactly the same as the prior one. There are some minor issues, most significant is high running temperatures, but it's generally a solid bike and it'll take everything you throw at it and come back for more.

3. The handling is amazing, IMHO. It turns in well, with fantastic mid-corner feedback. The huge, rigid front end design (50mm fork tubes, big t-clamps) really connects you to the tire contact patch. Feeling from this bike is telepathic.

4. I've found no really pressing need for a slipper. Certainly not on the street. Yeah, it's a very high compression ratio motor which can make downshifting smoothly kind of a trick, but the EBS works well. The rear can move a bit but it stays where you want it. A slipper is not on my list of mods.

5. Good torque. Not v-twin torque, but then this motor has more over-rev than a twin. North of 8500 RPM on this bike, hold on! That's when this bike comes alive. You'll have to get used to letting the motor spin more freely than with a twin.

6. Quality is good, although some have commented that is has fallen off a bit since the earlier bikes (750's).

Personally, I am very very happy with my MV and have found the ownership experience better to be fantastic. And I LOVE riding it hard, especially on the track. That's where this bike is really at home.

Alex
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 12:57 AM

> More so than the 1098 but you could get bar risers - or raise the front bars or preload. Just remember that it will change the dynamics of the bike. The MV doesn't really try to compromise (see #3).

> I'm pretty convince the MV's are as reliable as the Japanese. I take that to mean MV's has gotten better while some of the Japs have gotten worse. This is my 3rd MV and no main problems. The first was a 2000 model and had bugs like the 1098 (mostly due to poor set up). You want to be careful when you tinker with the MV because tolerances are tight and I accidently crush a fuel coupling on my 2nd MV when I took off the tank. Cause a fuel leak but that was really my fault. The MV will probably run hot in traffic but no more than your current superbike (it's actually cooler than my 999 and '04 R1 use to be).

It's the best handling sport bike I've ever had and I think it also has a lot to do with the agressive riding position. It has the most amount of front end feedback which gives me the most confidence. My point of references are 748/996/999 and an '02/'04 R1.

> Doesn't need a slipper clutch for street but the engine breaking system needs a little getting use to.

> Well, from what I've read here, the old S model has the most torque while the R and 312 were tunned for higher horsepower. My S model has an abrupt fuel surge right off idle so it's like a v-twin kick (IMO). If you want it from idle it will kick. If you're at 3K rpm, it's not as quick as a twin. (Just my opinion though). On thing is that lots of the new bikes are geared tall out the box (90-100 mph in first) but the MV's gearing is perfect so that helps the torque too (comparing stock to stock).

> Fit and finish is good on the S/R/312 models but I think you'll be happy with the Senna which uses real carbon fiber for the air ducts and key guard. The plastic could look a little cheap. Otherwise, yes, the qualities' there.

Lastly, some dealer do offer demo rides. That's what finally convinced me to trade-in my 999 for the MV.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 01:01 AM

I did a thread on MV prices last night - and I knew I saw a Senna somewhere:
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/5/3/82725753.htm

Quote:
2007 MV AGUSTA F4 Senna 1000, More sensuality, more high tech, more intuition. For every new model must outshine the previous one. This goes for all MV Agusta innovations. The Senna has graced the F41000 with new and exclusive characteristics: a state of the art engine reaching 174 HP, a new injection system, the Weber Marelli 5SM, for better power control, the most advanced Brembo four-caliper radial brakes available. This is the excellence of MV Agusta, in honor of Ayrton Senna: the legend. The Y-shaped spokes on the alloy wheels only add to the elegant sculpted design of the single sided Aluminum alloy swinging arm (weight: 6.6 kg) and emphasize the essence of the F4 project. This lightweight material is also used for the frame plates (weight: 1.65 kg) and for the lower fork triple clamp. The footrests are adjustable and are not only made from a solid piece, but also boast the F4 1000 logo. The rear carbon fiber mudguard is also new. Carbon fiber is also used for the heat shield on the exhaust. The frontal view is what makes the F4 Senna stand out from the rest. The Brembo Racing Serie Oro front brakes are exclusive to this model, as well as their bearings, which permit their radial positioning. The black front fork by Marzocchi and legs measuring 50 mm, treated with titanium nitride, are also new. The Senna logo is also visible on the side view mirrors and the front fairing is raised for improved driving comfort. This is thanks to a new type of plexiglass, developed within the wind tunnel which, thanks to its unique curved shape lightens the aerodynamic mass which would otherwise weigh on the pilots helmet. Call us now! Only 300 made worldwide!
Ducati Miami
2001 NW 167th Street
Miami Gardens, FL 33056
(877) 737-1997

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 01:05 AM

Also found one in San Francisco at Monroe Motorycles (pretty good dealer too)
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/8/88223818.htm

Matthews, North Carolina:
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/2/9/87522629.htm
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Established Member

Hey Coin! I'm not NEARLY as experienced with the F4R as most of our brothers (and a few sisters) on the site, but I'm happy to give you my impressions after 2 weeks and 600 miles on an '07 R.

I wouldn't call it "comfortable". When I ride my K1200S after a few hours on the MV, I can actually hear my ass saying "Thank You!". But I'm not uncomfortable either. I knew what I was buying before bringing it home and I'd had probably 45 minutes of test rides so I was prepared for the seating position, peg height, flat bars, all features appropriate to a world-class sport bike. My wrists got a little sore at first but I got used sliding myself around pretty quick. Just ride fast and let the wind do it for ya! Plus, my triceps are getting a good work out.It also emits tremendous heat which can be kinda off-putting when the ambient temp is above 85 degrees or so especially in city traffic so, I just make sure I go real fast when it's a little warm outside.

Can't comment. Only two weeks into the ecstasy of MV ownership. However, I did do a lotta research on that subject before I jumped in and found, anecdotally anyway, that MV's had really no more reliability issues than other exotics and NO ONE I spoke to regretted their decision to buy one. (read "$25,000.00 down the crapper) Most of my info came from Ken Zeller of Evoluzione Cycle Sports, the good people of MV Agusta.net and probably 10 MV owners over the last 5 years.

Handling is supernatural. As I've said before, like riding a 174hp scalpel. Orgasmic. Okay, sorry. Heading into Geekland. Trust me, handling will not be an issue.

I haven't really ridden it that hard yet but the Engine braking or EBS, seems to work very well on hard downshifts. I haven't noticed the rear tire locking up at all. I have ridden several other bikes pretty hard with a traditional slipper clutch and this seems pretty seemless. Again, there are many other riders on this forum who have a lot of seat time on the track who can give a proper expert opinion.

Welcome to "Torqueville". I've ridden the 1098S and it's very torquey, as you know. The MV seems to have a pretty usable powerband for my tastes. It's a little squirrely around 5000 rpm's, but I'm told this can be smoothed out with some aftermarket goodies and frankly, it seems to be smoothing out on it's own as the engine breaks in. I got no problem getting the front up or thankfully, keeping it down. Very tractable.

The MV Agusta website refers to their products as "Motorcycle Art". This is not hyperbole, my friend. I get as much pleasure looking at the details of the bike, welds, paint, (mine is pearl white/black) engine, plastic bits, fit etc. as I do riding it. True. I now have a new benchmark for pride of ownership.

I hope you find your Senna but if not, I'm sure you too will be as smitten with the beast as the rest of us. Even if you have to "settle" for an R. Good luck!

MotoMan
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-17-2007, 02:59 PM
dmx

2 sennas on ebay uk!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode