Masterbike article - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Masterbike article

I felt compeled to write this. I just finished the article in our local magazine on the 2007 Masterbike and call me paranoid but they seem to have done everything in their power NOT to give the MV the award. It was very blatant. All journo's felt the 1098 would romp it in and if not then the R1. I won't go into all the wording but very disapointing.
Randy Mamola did say though that the 312R put excitement back into the 4's and the feeling was like riding a turbocharged bike. Even though outright power's were simialr he said the GSX felt bland by comparison.
Also of note is the MV was only 7kg heavier than the measured weights of the other 1000's not much in that.
Power had the 312R outright on 124kw @ 12,380rpm measured (that's 166hp for the US guys) so 174 sounds about right with RG3's. That is serious HP.
The 1098 was measured at 111kw @ 9800rpm (148hp) so it has a deficit. Interestingly torque on the 1098 was measured at [email protected], the 312R was [email protected],300rpm and the Aprilia RSV was 93nm @ 8370rpm (and 97kw) so torque isn't much in it but you can't compete with that top end on the track that's for sure.Coparing the twin with the 312 the comments were the 312 felt refined and turbine like, the 1098 "finally has some excitement of a four cylinder" - interesting.

Reading between the lines Duacti were quite taken back by all this, and are really pushing now for the 1200.

In the same issue it was announced that Honda have a V41000 RCV replica waiting to release on the announcement of acceptance of the 1220cc twin change (I know this is a worst kept secret). I can't help think that Ducati blew it by not bringing out the road SBK spec version of their Desmocedici instead of hanging on to the twin. Could be a big blunder.

MVA Sydney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:28 AM

I'm not sure why the MV seems to struggle for acceptance with some of these guys, it seems it may be some sort of hangover from the 750 where it suffered in the hp and weight stakes but it's very annoying that they seem to take this attitude.

The advertising dollar may very well have a lot to do with it but when you read and hear what some of these guys say in the media it's not only annoying but appears to motivated by more than politics.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Hi Rockethouse.
Have you read it? it is in AMCN, which are normally pretty good. I think this was cut and paste from the Euro (UK) journo's. Also I know Alex Gobert and I know he really struggles on anything non Jap. I also know he was taken to Eastern Creek and given a full day on the 1098 to get familiar with it. I know because I was there. I actually said to him, when he was heading off to Europe that I thought the MV would go well, he said "it has no hope". HHHHMMMM he is young so we will excuse him.
Anyway at the rear of the mag Alex has an article where Paul Feeney is about to announce a name rider from either SBK or MotoGP who is out of a ride and will return to OZ to do a couple of ASC rounds on the MV that Trinder and Clarke has been winning on the East Coast with. Now maybe that will lift the profile and get them some race cred. It must gall the Ducati importer that they can't race the 1098 at this level this could be why Feeney is having a go while they can't compete.
In BEARS racing the MV's now win every race in what used to be dominated by hot Ducati's. There is a push from the Ducati camp to have a new class for MV.
Interesting times though.

MVA Sydney
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 02:20 AM

Ducati have got a big advertising budget!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 AM

MVASyd, any chance of a pdf or scan version of that 07 Masterbike article?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 AM

Thumbs up

Anyway at the rear of the mag Alex has an article where Paul Feeney is about to announce a name rider from either SBK or MotoGP who is out of a ride and will return to OZ to do a couple of ASC rounds on the MV that Trinder and Clarke has been winning on the East Coast with. Now maybe that will lift the profile and get them some race cred.

Steve Martin is a fav for the 08 World superbikes on MV,that'll be great if he gets that ride.

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:19 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockethouse
I'm not sure why the MV seems to struggle for acceptance with some of these guys, it seems it may be some sort of hangover from the 750 where it suffered in the hp and weight stakes but it's very annoying that they seem to take this attitude.

The advertising dollar may very well have a lot to do with it but when you read and hear what some of these guys say in the media it's not only annoying but appears to motivated by more than politics.
Face it Rocket ,we are where everyone wants to be...just sour grapes mate!
This brings to mind why Daryl Beattie hasn't stepped in and had a go at this type of crap journalism.
Daryl is wearing the police jacket...and yes that is Barry Sheenes son leaning on the Brutale with Daryls F4 behind!
Barry Sheene memorial ride OZ GP 04.
Attached Images

07 F41000R

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

Last edited by Ozboy; 06-13-2007 at 07:28 AM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Whoa so next year is going to be a serious year for the superbike or the roadbike category actually. Honda motogp bike for the road, Ducati 1200 cc upgrade its 100% happenign and has been confirmed, and the new Agusta. As much as it pains me, I would be making a smarter decisiong paying off my car and then getting a machine from MV for next year!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVASyd
Hi Rockethouse.
Have you read it? it is in AMCN, which are normally pretty good. I think this was cut and paste from the Euro (UK) journo's. Also I know Alex Gobert and I know he really struggles on anything non Jap. I also know he was taken to Eastern Creek and given a full day on the 1098 to get familiar with it. I know because I was there. I actually said to him, when he was heading off to Europe that I thought the MV would go well, he said "it has no hope". HHHHMMMM he is young so we will excuse him.
Anyway at the rear of the mag Alex has an article where Paul Feeney is about to announce a name rider from either SBK or MotoGP who is out of a ride and will return to OZ to do a couple of ASC rounds on the MV that Trinder and Clarke has been winning on the East Coast with. Now maybe that will lift the profile and get them some race cred. It must gall the Ducati importer that they can't race the 1098 at this level this could be why Feeney is having a go while they can't compete.
In BEARS racing the MV's now win every race in what used to be dominated by hot Ducati's. There is a push from the Ducati camp to have a new class for MV.
Interesting times though.
Yes I read the article and felt the same way afterwards....I believe it may have been cut/paste from the EU/UK wrtie up.

Oh Alex youth is a good excuse...make sure you remind him of that comment next time you see him

I'm looking forward to seeing the MV in the ASC although I really hope they're ready...is this the article you were talking about from the AMCN....
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
"MV TO ASC (Aus Superbike Championship)

MV Agusta is all set for it's Aus SBK debut at Queensland Raceway at the end of June. The distributor-backed MV team will run with rider Brendan Clarke for the first time at an ASC round, after spending the beginning of the year in the East Coast Road Series. Rumours had world championship riders Andrew Pitt or Steve Martin making the debut on the bike but that is unlikely at this stage."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tiago...sorry my scanner/printer stopped working last week and I still haven't pulled my finger out to get it fixed yet. If no-one else can scan it for you I will do it later when it's fixed.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 10:38 AM
dmx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockethouse

I think the answers really simple here : human nature.

The F4 design hasnt changed since its release 7 or 8 years ago. Bike journos run out of superlatives to describe the bike a long time ago, so its only natural these guys who make a living from writing about 'the next big thing' should champion any new contenders who come along.

Bike journos in my opinion are as susceptible to the influence of hype as the next man in the street.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode