Installing a Garmin Zumo 550 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Installing a Garmin Zumo 550

I just thought I'd share some pics. I've been looking for a way to mount a garmin ZUMO 550 on my R312. I really hate to mount anything on the bike but there's times when a GPS / SAT Radio and Music comes in REALLY handy. I've used garmin for years and stuck them in all my vehicles and bikes but this is the first Zumo so far.

I ordered the euro tech mount (I can post the model later) and I just started playing with the placement of the device and I have to say that I really like where's it's at. I have it tied into my Bluetooth helmet and my cell phone so it's cell phone > Garmin > helmet.

I ordered one more mount to see if I can stick my Valentine One on there too. I've gone years with one on my bikes on now in my M3 and it's hard not to have one every time you want to crack open the throttle a bit.

So here's the pics in case you want to do the same thing. You have to move the "default" settings around a bit to get it in the right position.

I'll let you know how it work after tomorrow's ride.

---Oh, the photos where you see the guages are from the riding perspective (hands on bars). Also, your hand will fit perfectly when pushing all the buttons. (very cool).
Attached Images

Wesley
------------------------------
Seattle, WA
Toys....
2008 MV Agusta F41000 R312
2000 BMW K1200RS
2001 BMW M3 Convertible

Last edited by weskro; 06-11-2007 at 08:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Established Member

Looks too busy in my opinion. I try and get away from it all on a bike and try and get lost...lol. As far as a radar detector....just crack that throttle and no cop in his right mind will come after you
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:43 PM
MV1

Damn. Does it even turn like that?
post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:50 PM

Honestly...

EXCELLENT job doing those electronic mods...BUT

to me, it just doesn't belong.

I would NOT go so far as to say .

I often want a radar detector, but just try to be smart and lucky. Also, I do not look down when at speed.

To each his own...

Peter
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I know EXACTLY what you're saying and I'm still up in the air over it. The radar isn't on yet (still just looking at where to put the thing). As for the GPS, I do have a K1200RS with all the goodies and for around town I don't use one at all.

To me it's like a tank bag. I don't like one on my MV but when I'm going somewhere I've never been before and I'm riding 250+ miles in a day then it's kind of nice to have. I would rather look / listen to a GPS and know where I'm going (especially in a group ride) then try to navigate with a map.

I guess the best thing of all is that the whole thing can be removed in less than 30 seconds and there's no visable signs that one was ever installed. I do remember using a GPS once to give the exact location of a downed rider. They got there much quicker.

Well, I guess I'll see how it works tomorrow.

Wesley
Seattle, WA
Toys....
2000 BMW K1200RS
2001 BMW M3 Convertible
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
MV1

You might be better off using your tank bag (one with a clear map pocket I would imagine) to store the gps and scrape the radar, at least until you can find a more compact unit. Because what you have there looks crazy especially on a superbike.
PK
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

ARG! I don't like look of anything on my bike. So the radar is off... I might go with just my pocket GPS system...... I have until 8 am to figure this out. LOL..

-W

Wesley
Seattle, WA
Toys....
2000 BMW K1200RS
2001 BMW M3 Convertible
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:14 PM
The Dude

I'm looking to try to outfit various bikes with similar instruments.

At the end of the day, it will never look clean. But hey, if you are touring on the MV, more power to you.

- How are you powering the devices?
- What kind of helmet do you have to handle both a phone and GPS (and is the V-1 linked in as well?)

Thanks for the pics....

-colin

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I just ran the very small power cable on the left side and followed the existing cables along the frame to the battery. It took me about 20 minutes as compared to over an hour on my BMW and it's very clean cabling (you can't really see it).

I got the Dainese Airstream Course Bluetooth Helmet which connects to the GPS which in turn connects to my phone. Without the GPS the helmet connects directly to my phone. (again no wires)

I'm not sure how I'm going to deal with the V1... I'll most likey use a H.A.R.D system with it through, not sure. Tomorrow I"m running without it and I'm taking plentry of bride money with me.

So I've decided that when I'm in R312GT mode I'll most likely use the GPS and tank bag (aka 200+ miles per day to places I've never been), otherwise It's off.

I remember going on a 1400mi road trip a couple years ago with a guy who was on a duc (now his track bike). I was on my K1200RS and everyone kept saying to him, "wow, I'm impressed with the road trip on the duc... how are you holding up?". Well, I've done one 250+ mile road trip riding 2 up and by the end of the day I was ready for a massage. I think tomorrow will be a great ride. My bike is just shy of 2000 miles and it's getting smoother and smoother.

Wesley
Seattle, WA
Toys....
2000 BMW K1200RS
2001 BMW M3 Convertible
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:18 AM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
IMHO, if you like it and will benefit having those devices on the bike for these long trips, why not? especially since it's easily removable.

when I need to see directions in the past, I just write it down on a little piece of paper and tape it to the TTT clamp with masking tape, it's a little odd but it has worked just fine for me.

do what will make you comfortable, IMHO.

O D O N A T A

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode