Ohlins Damper on 05 F4S - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Ohlins Damper on 05 F4S

Hi,

I just picked up my new (leftover) 05 F4S today... I noticed that the Ohlins damper on the the F4 when set to the stiffest setting doesn't even come close to the stiffness of the Ohlins on my 06 749R when set to the stiffest setting

Should they not be the same??

Thanks

Joe D.

2005 F4S
2006 749R
2007 KTM 250SXF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 08:19 PM

i have noticed the same thing, thats why i keep mine on the stiffest setting. my buddy has a ohlins damper on his suzuki and its hardest setting is atleast 2 to 3 times stiffer than mine.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 AM

mines also onhardest setting but dont seem as stiff as what id expect
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:36 PM

I have found the same on my 2005 1000F4 so I went into my local dealer and tried a brand new 1000R and that wasn't too immpresive either, certainly no different to my 2005 model with 4000mls on the clock.

I also ride Ducati's from time to time and I recon its fair to say that the Duke is loaded heavier on the front end than the MV so with the steering being heavier to start with this will affect the Ohlins for sure.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 06:45 AM

I wonder why they do that? I mean make the Ohlins so soft on MVs? Very strange. So what's there to do? I think when time comes to service them, which I belive is every 6K miles, you guys should have your service center fill it up with heavier weight oil which will make it alot stiffer.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 07:34 AM

don't think it's a good idea to compare machines and their respective parts. especially aftermarket vs. stock. i'd have to believe that some research and feedback went into picking the damper for the MV. could be that it doesn't need any more than what the stock piece requires. the front end on a MV is different that ANY other bike out there. surely a gixxer. no other bike has such massive forks and triple clamp. i used to run full stiff. it was a security feeling that i woudln't have a tank slapper more than anything. now i've backed the setting off a bit and like it much better.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned

it would be a good idea to have it serviced though, i know mine probably need to be serviced.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 02:05 PM

style_one ... Well, then again, every company out there including Suzuki do their multi million dollar research and then put the bikes together with the proper components, including the OEM Gsxr's steering dampener. But then I buy the bike, rip off the OEM dampener, toss it in the trash, and replace it with Ohlins. It doesnt matter how thick or thin your forks or triple tree is!
Same thing applies to the MV's.. They put one there, but not stiff enough. So either you buy a stiffer universal Ohlins dampener or service the current one with a heavier weight oil.

Last edited by KNEENELBOWDRAGGER; 07-17-2007 at 02:08 PM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 09:21 AM

if that what suits your needs. i still say that sitting on one bike or the next and comparing the dampers isn't a good gauge. i've NEVER heard anyone (not that there's a HUGE community) say that the MV front end is squirrly. however, steering damper or not, plenty of other bikes get that comment. end the end it comes down to each riders tastes and what makes them feel comfortable. wonder what Ferracci is using on matt and lucas bike. stock or upgraded.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2007, 03:59 PM

Yes it pretty much comes down to that.

To each his own.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode