bike just stopped running - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

bike just stopped running

Hi.
I'm new to the forum. I bought a 2005 f-4 last fall with a bad motor. Brass well nut fell into the intake and wiped out the valves. I rebuilt the engine over the winter and test rode the bike for the first time last night. First ride was great, 12 mile loop around the house. Second ride, engine just stopped running 3 miles from the house. I trucked it home, pulled the tank and air box, all looks well. All electronics are running, fuel in the tank and engine turns over just fine. I can see the intake valves open and close and no strange noises from the engine. The engine just cranks and cranks but won't start. Any ideas? Thanks Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 02:04 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Back to the basics,is the fuel pump priming when you switch the ignition on?Have you got spark and check the main 40 amp engine fuse,go from there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 05:35 AM

New Site Garage
Fuel line all intact in tank ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 09:20 AM

agree with donsy, the easiest check to make is open the fuel tank and have a look with a torch (the battery operated kind) and see if there is any bubbling when you turn the ignition on and the fuel pump primes. If there is then you have a detatched or deteroriated fuel hose. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

P.S. Welcome to the forum
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 06:03 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by george4337 View Post
agree with donsy, the easiest check to make is open the fuel tank and have a look with a torch (the battery operated kind).......
come on George you'll take all the fun out of this

Bill T;
Welcome to the Forum.....

just for GP replace the in tank fuel lines and the fuel filter.....PM me an address and I'll send you some rivnuts to replace the rear wellnuts in the airbox

also check all the vacuum lines and caps

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Hi.
Thanks for all of the responses, I found the problem. This winter, one of my maintenance items was a new fuel filter in the gas tank. After a lot of diagnosing, I found that the stock clip style hose clamp that I reused had let go and the hose popped off. I have all new screw style hose clamps on all of the hoses and the engine started right up.
Thanks again.
Cheers Bill
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2014, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Hi.
Thanks for your offer on the rivnut, but I installed aircraft style nut plates. They are held in with two rivets . Can send pics and more details on the rebuild and nut plates if any one is interested.
Bill
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2014, 03:13 AM

New Site Garage
Glad you're sorted mate.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode