F4-1000R vs. 1098S - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

F4-1000R vs. 1098S

hi all,

I 've been away for some time now.

Some of you know that I sold my F4-1000R to buy a 1098S.

I now have 5200km on the 1098S, so I can compaire the bikes now.

First of all I want to say that I always loved the design of the F4. Even before I had my license, I fell in love with the F4-750. The design is simply amazing!! Even now, 10 years old, it can still fit in between current bikes.
So here we go:

The used materials don't give much difference. There is no difference in riding "feel" between the ohlins fork and rear shock on my 1098S and the Marzocchi and Sachs from my F4-1000R. Both bikes are extremely stable under high speeds. Now that I finally mounted a 190/55 (wich is the standard tire for the 1098S, as it is for the F4-1000R) i must say that it steers lighter then my MV. A difference in weight (that untill I mounted the 190/55) I only felt when I was riding slow or parking the bike. The wheels are completely the same.

Overall finish of the MV is better. The detailed finish of the mirrors, paintwork, etc... it 's just better then on the 1098S. As everyone over here knows, the fairings from the F4 come of in 10 sec. The ones on the 1098S are bolted on with 666 lil screws...

Brakes... of the 1098S are better! Better? Yes, the BITE. First couple of hundred km you HAVE to get used to them. Once used to them, stopping power is amazing. When I owned the F4, I couldn't imagine how any brakes could be better then the ones on the F4, but they can!

So how is the power output compaired to the F4?

The 1098 (1098 and 1098S have identical engines) has a lot of torque! Power comes out rough and starting at 4000RPm it feels like an animal. Contrary to other twins that I testrode, the 1098 pulls untill the rev limiter kicks in at 10700Rpm. So it does have that endrush feeling like on a 4 cyl, but on a 4 cyl the feeling of the endrush is more intense because of the increasing engine sound, were the twin allready barks from idle.

Because of the torque and I guess it's weight, the 1098 lifts it's nose comming out of corners, when you wack that throttle open. so really spectacular experience!

top speed of the F4 is higher! the 1098S hits 286km/u (on GPS) and that is what most jap 4 cyl sportsbikes hit on a GPS. It does hit it's rev limiter in 6th. So when you change sprockets, top speed could go up, but it would accelerate slower.

So what is the best bike? hard to tell. They are different!

The MV has the best looks (but that's a personal opinion) and the best overall finish. But the 1098S is also spectacular to ride at low speeds, you don't need the endrush to have fun due to the torque.

I had a lot of warranty issues with my F4-1000R and its fuel consumption was a nightmare compaired to my 1098S.
I will always like an F4 and I am glad I owned a F4-1000R, but I don't mis it. I like my 1098S and (like the MV) it keeps me in the garage for hours, just looking at it.

I hope you liked my 1098S review. I tried to be honeoust.

This is my 1098S at the moment:

GreetZ,

Peet.

I have been hearing the " I am so talented I dont use my rear brake at all" chest pounding alpha male bullshit for decades now and I am dissapointed in my fellow rider everytime I hear it....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Smile

Nice write up Peet. I think you have been very honest with your assessment of both bikes. One question, you mention the fuel consumption of the F4 is worse than the 1098 but doesn't the 1098 have a very small tank so it's range is quite poor?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Hi peet! Glad you came back to let us know how it was all going. Your 1098S looks great.

It's unfortunately you had the warranty issues ont he F4R. What kind of gas mileage are you seeing on the 1098S with similar riding behaviour? Miles per tank?

They are both great bikes, and very different as you say. Low end torque is very appealing for its own reasons. Both beautiful bikes
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john
Nice write up Peet. I think you have been very honest with your assessment of both bikes. One question, you mention the fuel consumption of the F4 is worse than the 1098 but doesn't the 1098 have a very small tank so it's range is quite poor?
the range is the same. But the Ducati has a smaller tank.

GReetz

I have been hearing the " I am so talented I dont use my rear brake at all" chest pounding alpha male bullshit for decades now and I am dissapointed in my fellow rider everytime I hear it....
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:16 PM

Peet, what range were you getting with the F4?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
Peet, what range were you getting with the F4?
80 - 90 Miles.

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 01:35 PM

Nice review, Peet

They are both great bikes, no doubt.

The best would be to have them all
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Established Member

I just got the 1098S.

Two completely different bikes.

A few things I would also add to the assessment.

The 1098 vibrates alot taking away from feel from front end, takes a little getting used to.....the whole v-twin thing. I think the MV feels more stable at all speeds....especially at high.
The 1098 feels light and flickable but twitchy but the MV needs a little bit more effort ( I believe the MV's weight / feel is appropriate for it's power ).

I like them both but it's all what you are looking for.

Both great bikes but I am more biased towards my MV (in-line). The V-Twin thing is kind of an acquired thing i think.................
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:44 PM

damnit why did you have to go and write this...lol
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:54 PM

Thanks for coming back to write that Peet, oddly enough I was looking at a Tricolore today! and trying to see why the MV has supposedly the better build quality, the shop keep trying to get me to take the 1098 out, but up to now I have refused

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode