F4 Vs 1098s - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dova80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 4,476
F4 Vs 1098s

ok guys I have serious motorcycleitus and will buy one of these two probably around sept. oct. both have me lusting for them.

I have wanted an MV since they came out, its just so sexy... But it doesnt have that v-twin and dry clutch that I love.

SO my options are one or the other cant do both. If the MV had a twin with a dry clutch it would be game over sign at the dotted line, but it doesnt. So my problem exists, I love the dry clutch, and I do love that v-twin. But I lust for the MV.

For those of you that have both which one feels better when riding. That something that most people cant explain, its just something that draws you to ride your bike. Which one do you have that feeling for.

I am lost with this choice. I want both... or a mix of the two.... I really need to look at both side by side, sit on both. I am just afraid if I buy the MV I will regret it just for that twin and dry clutch. I dont know... seems the MV is a bit more exclusive which has a good and bad. Both dealers for the Duc and MV will be 4-5 hours away in Dallas. Prices are about equal.

Guys give me some help.
Dova80 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:38 PM
ASM
Senior Member
 
ASM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,791
I think you will find plenty of ideas in the following thread...

Just out of curiosity...are you planning to do the service yourself? Or will you ride it ti the dealer for service? Truck?

Ciao, Andreas
ASM is offline  
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dova80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 4,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASM
I think you will find plenty of ideas in the following thread...

Just out of curiosity...are you planning to do the service yourself? Or will you ride it ti the dealer for service? Truck?
Thats what happens when you cant sleep your thoughts of the search button go away... thank you sir.

I will be hauling it down to dallas, I am fortuante that I have a very close friend that I can stay with for weekend trips and he rides also...
Dova80 is offline  
post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:48 PM
ASM
Senior Member
 
ASM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80
I will be hauling it down to dallas, I am fortuante that I have a very close friend that I can stay with for weekend trips and he rides also...
You are very welcome...you are lucky...I am missing that friend...and a truck...

Ciao, Andreas
ASM is offline  
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-04-2007, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Dova80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 4,476
Well I just have good friends wouldnt call me to lucky.

The thread was intresting, and didnt help but confuse me even more...lol

I have a feeling either way I will still want the other. I will just have to go down look in person, sit, feel, hear, and listen to which one talks to me...
Dova80 is offline  
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Member
 
lizzardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 689
The dry clutch is no big deal. They make noise, but if you're not racing, I wouldn't have it swing the decision one way or the other.

My two favorite bikes are my 748 and my MV. The handling is very similar, but the engines are quite different. On a tight, twisty road, I'd be faster on the 748. If it's a little more open with big sweepers, I'd be faster on my MV. I'm definitely NOT sorry I got either.

I expect that this doesn't help you decide at all. Sorry for that. I'll add this: Whenever I ride the 748, I'm reminded just how much I love it. Just thinking it's in the garage reminds me how much I love the MV.

2008 MV Agusta F4 312 R
2002 Ducati ST4S
1998 Ducati 748
1994 Ducati 900SS
1980 Yamaha TZ250G
lizzardo is offline  
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 12:55 AM
Established Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Agoura, CA USA
Posts: 146
First, let me say how much I enjoy and appreciate all the terrific and very entertaining posts and pics on this website. Really a blast to read! You guys gave me a lot of info which was very helpful in making my decision that lead to the purchase last Friday of a brand, spankin' new F4R in Pearl/Black. 246 miles last weekend and ZERO buyer's remorse. Thanks again!
Regarding the decision between the Duc and the F4, I know it's tough. I rode the 1098S for about 25 minutes immediately after about the same amont of time on the Agusta. They both handle like scalpels and I have a long way to go before I'm able to ride either at 10/10ths. I found the Ducati more comfortable and loved the all digital Moto GP style cockpit, but the V-twin, while a fantastic motor to be sure, is still a twin and a little "rough" for my taste, especially when compared to the exquisitely, smooth "howl" of the inline 4 of the MV. But, although it is very subjective, when compared side by side, it was IMPOSSIBLE for me not to look at the Agusta. To me, it is absolutely stunning and seductive and I admit that the exclusivity also appealed to me. Also, I thought the fit and finish was better on the MV. Both bikes are pretty much world class and which ever way your heart takes you, I'm sure you won't be dissapointed. But I'll tell ya, the guys on the forum were right; The F4 is in a class all by itself. Oh,one more thing, I saw the 1098 a few days later in black. Very, very cool. Good luck!
Redwing is offline  
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:44 AM
Senior Member
 
nicensleazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dova80
ok guys I have serious motorcycleitus and will buy one of these two probably around sept. oct. both have me lusting for them.

I have wanted an MV since they came out, its just so sexy... But it doesnt have that v-twin and dry clutch that I love.

SO my options are one or the other cant do both. If the MV had a twin with a dry clutch it would be game over sign at the dotted line, but it doesnt. So my problem exists, I love the dry clutch, and I do love that v-twin. But I lust for the MV.

For those of you that have both which one feels better when riding. That something that most people cant explain, its just something that draws you to ride your bike. Which one do you have that feeling for.

I am lost with this choice. I want both... or a mix of the two.... I really need to look at both side by side, sit on both. I am just afraid if I buy the MV I will regret it just for that twin and dry clutch. I dont know... seems the MV is a bit more exclusive which has a good and bad. Both dealers for the Duc and MV will be 4-5 hours away in Dallas. Prices are about equal.

Guys give me some help.



Think this question has been flogged to death! No question, they are both superb bikes in their own right. Twin of four? I had a 999 before the MV and whilst the engine was superb etc etc the build qualitiy was crap. Reading the moans and complaints from 1098 owners, it would appear thats still a problem along with stalling issues etc. Also, I think Ducati have just recalled some 1098's for possible faults. I think you have got to go for a long test ride on both and way up what you want it for, track or road or both. For me, the MV has everything, build quality, attention to detail and performance and sounds like a formula 1 racing car. I also feel that the MV is such a special ride and I always look forward to my next solo flight. I liked my Ducati but I LOVE my MV!

Good luck with the decision
nicensleazy is offline  
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:51 AM
Senior Member
 
mv2envy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Reseda, California
Posts: 5,824
nicensleazy: nicely said!
mv2envy is offline  
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Senior Member
 
nicensleazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by mv2envy
nicensleazy: nicely said!

Hi MVtoENVY, I was just looking at your mods yesterday in your album, very nicely done and looks the dogs bollocks!
nicensleazy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome