F41000R bottomline - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

F41000R bottomline

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and would be greatful for your candid opinion.
I'm a great fan of in-line fours and owned mainly GSX-R's and I am a great fan but I have always been mesmerised by the beauty of the F4 since its first introduction....my dream bike.
The dream is or could be a reality and I wish to buy one. The 312R was recently tested in 'TWO' UK publication and they were very impressed, the F41000R has just been tested against the 1098s in 'Superbike' UK publication....my dreams were shattered! It makes the F4 out to be a real dog (old Rottweiller!). How do owners feel about the F41000R? Should I be looking at the 312R instead?....I'm wanting mainly for track use.

I'm aware of some of the tails of woe posted on this forum...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:03 PM

I have some advice. STOP reading into all these editor reviews. Take their words with a grain of salt. Even when they rave about a bike; I ignore them. Lets face it, the bikes that we are all interested in ALWAYS are faced against the BIG 4 Japs machines and the like. If we were buying a crusier, I bet you would not find many negative words because they do not exceed 180mph, have to turn on a dime, worry about ET times. yada yada yada. Buy what YOU think is for YOU. Forget about THEM. One more thing.. every year something better will always come along...you can bet on it. Best of luck in your venture.

Last edited by MVF4KPWR; 05-31-2007 at 07:19 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Established Member

Yeah, I'm interested in the bottom line opinions of other folks re; the F41000R out there too. I'm in a position where I can only have one bike for another couple of years til my son's finished college. I currently ride a BMW K1200S which I've tricked out a little and it's a beast. Pulls like a train and is just about as heavy. Terrific bike and pretty comfortable. I too have lusted after an MV for years and found out yesterday that due to the terrific finance rates, I could get an '07 R for less per month than I'm paying for the "S". I'd love to hear from any riders out there who have an F4 as an only bike. I understand that they're COMPLETELY different machines and if I could have 2 or more bikes, I'd have been an MV owner long "AGO" Sorry. couldn't resist. I live in the Santa Monica mountains in Southern California, so any bike is a blast to ride around here. Thanks in advance. Terrific site and only adds to the sweet pain of my lust.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 08:01 PM

Redwing.com

Keep the BMW forever. An MV F4 will not be as comfortable, and you can ride longer trips/days on the BMW. You will use it rarely and for 2-up riding.

However, get an F4...any F4 that makes you "lustful" and can afford. You will NOT regret your decision. I too came from a K1200. Sure I sometime miss the comfort and ability to ride >300 mile days, BUT ...

I'd rather ride 150miles in a morning session on my F4 than ANY OTHER motorcycle IN THE WORLD. That is how MUCH of a thrill I have EVERY time I get on #292.

Good-luck! Peter
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 11:08 PM

i can tell you this about the mv, it is not built for comfort, nor is it a cheap bike to maintain, but like all the members on this forum would tell you, its all worth it, it rides like a batt out of hell, has great handeling, if u want my opinion, get a 1000r its been said it gets better lap times than the 312 on the track, hope you get one soon, post pics.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 04:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
As a rule Italian bikes do not fare real well with Magazine testers.
The 1098 (which had glowing reports only one month ago) is now getting a hard time.
MV's are an aquired taste and most testers can't be bothered when they can jump on something familiar and go faster.
Make your own mind up.
Bikes are pretty simple.
Look at the brakes, the wheels, the suspension, the engine and the styling.
When you compare the MVR it scores top marks in all those areas.
The UK guys seem to be hung up on the "old" design thing. They don't seem to appreciate the evolution nature that MV is doing.
Compare a 2000 F4750 to a new F4312. To a novice they look the same. To a person in the know there is virtually no components the same.
Believe it the R is a gorgeous machine that lives up to it's famous name. Oh by the way, have a look at the quality of the thing..special comes to mind.
So if it "flys your flag" do it. You won't regret it. The looks on the faces on the non owners is priceless.

MVA Sydney
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyke
Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum and would be greatful for your candid opinion.
I'm a great fan of in-line fours and owned mainly GSX-R's and I am a great fan but I have always been mesmerised by the beauty of the F4 since its first introduction....my dream bike.
The dream is or could be a reality and I wish to buy one. The 312R was recently tested in 'TWO' UK publication and they were very impressed, the F41000R has just been tested against the 1098s in 'Superbike' UK publication....my dreams were shattered! It makes the F4 out to be a real dog (old Rottweiller!). How do owners feel about the F41000R? Should I be looking at the 312R instead?....I'm wanting mainly for track use.

I'm aware of some of the tails of woe posted on this forum...

Thanks!
Since you'll be using it mainly at the track i say go for the 312R instead of the R, since the main difference seem to be, besides a better fuelling, a higher rev engine that delivers more power and breaths better, and that is a good thing especially at the track.

Here's my take on the F4's

The F4 (S, R, 312R) has a very powerfull engine with great torque for a inline 4, but usually has a bit of a fuelling jerkiness (some more than others i guess) that needs to be adressed at least with a good CO2 and TPS fine tunning. A decatted mid pipe and a PC3 with a custom map will cure it, or so i've heard.
Chassi wise my impression is that, althought a bit heavy at the front due to weight distribution being front biased, it has a superb and precise handling with lots of mid corner stability.
It's an exceptional bike with an exceptional engine and chassis, BUT it has to be properly setted up by someone who knows what he's doing and unless it's propely fine tuned it's not an easy bike to ride fast.
I would say that, unless you're a fairly experienced rider, probably any 1000cc Jap bike is easy to live with and easy to ride fast since the first hour, but the F4 will reward you with so much more than any of those Jap bikes once you "connect" with it, and especially if your's is proprely setted up
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:38 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-999R
Since you'll be using it mainly at the track i say go for the 312R instead of the R, since the main difference seem to be, besides a better fuelling, a higher rev engine that delivers more power and breaths better, and that is a good thing especially at the track.

Here's my take on the F4's

The F4 (S, R, 312R) has a very powerfull engine with great torque for a inline 4, but usually has a bit of a fuelling jerkiness (some more than others i guess) that needs to be adressed at least with a good CO2 and TPS fine tunning. A decatted mid pipe and a PC3 with a custom map will cure it, or so i've heard.
Chassi wise my impression is that, althought a bit heavy at the front due to weight distribution being front biased, it has a superb and precise handling with lots of mid corner stability.
It's an exceptional bike with an exceptional engine and chassis, BUT it has to be properly setted up by someone who knows what he's doing and unless it's propely fine tuned it's not an easy bike to ride fast.
I would say that, unless you're a fairly experienced rider, probably any 1000cc Jap bike is easy to live with and easy to ride fast since the first hour, but the F4 will reward you with so much more than any of those Jap bikes once you "connect" with it, and especially if your's is proprely setted up
could not of put it better myself +1
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 07:12 AM

Read any forum and you'll see "tales of woe"
Forget them, some people make a living out of complaining and picking at things.
Nothing is perfect except what you think is perfect!!

(1000 posts, think I'll stop now)

John T
Certified Power Commander Tech.
Authorized Tuning Center/Dealer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 11:40 AM
Established Member

Thanks so much for all the input, guys. Much appreciated! Suddenly letting go of my beloved K12S is becoming tolerable. Kinda like ending a sweet romance with a strong, fit German girl and moving on to a high maintainance, hot blooded Italian super model. Wow, if this is the biggest problem I have in my life, I'm a lucky guy, huh? Now if you'll excuse me, I have an appointment with a lovely F4 in Pearl/Black, thank you very much. Ciao!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode