General advice on purchase of an F4 Evo 3 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 04:33 PM Thread Starter

General advice on purchase of an F4 Evo 3

(First time poster). I was reading the paper yesterday and read about the sad passing of Massimo Tamburini. My first bike was a Ducati 748sp, and I fell in love with it. I had it for many years, and I remember craving an MV F4 ever since I first saw one. But back then way out of my price range.

So after reading about him again and about his magnum opus, the F4 I thought I'd look into the possibility of buying one to sit next to my slightly modded bonnie cafe racer that I use as my everyday bike. I've always felt a loss since being deprived of my Ducati. I'm a pretty spontaneous fella, and so I'm just looking for a little sanity check and advice from you guys the experts. In case I'm doing something out of passion/sentiment rather than logic (not necessarily a bad thing either).

I've put a holding deposit on an '03 F4 750 Evo 3 - 9000 miles. Recently kept off road and well looked after by previous owner, who works at the bike shop/garage so I expect it's been treated well. They're asking £6,499. It's from a franchise that deals with MVs so will have full service, check and added mechanical security that comes with that. I'm pretty sure this is near the bottom when it comes to depreciation and would hope it would hold this value.

I've never actually ridden an inline 4 sports bike! Just v-twins and parallel twins. So I'm looking forward to the new experience altogether. It will also be the most powerful bike I'll have ridden. Is there anything I should look for specifically when I look around it? I'll find out what they're like to ride net week, but would love any general advice and impressions, - power delivery especially over lumpy twins. I'm used to the extreme riding positions of this Italian breed from the 90's, so I'm not overly concerned, it's not going to be a commuter! I live in a city, but will use it for ride outs and occasional trips in town. Much harder to manoeuvre at slow speeds over the 748/916/998? Any electrical foibles or engine/mech issues I need to check? I know it's the last iteration of the 750 so hopefully will be the least likely to have issues of all the early F4s.

Anyway, I'd love to know your thought, first time F4 stories as well as anything else you think I should know. Thanks for your time!

Chris.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 05:26 PM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
Thumbs up

Hello Chris

Welcome to the forum.

You’ve chosen a pretty good bullet proof MV model.

There isn’t to much to go wrong with these later 750cc F4’s, but there are a few points you need to keep your eyes open for..

The rear hub bearings need more frequent periodic servicing than the Ducati’s and if this F4’s bearings haven’t already been replaced at the indicated mileage, then I advise you have them changed for peace of mind. If you do a quick search on the forum for “Rear Hub” or “ Hub bearings”, you’ll find there’s at least 2 x volumes of War and Peace on this subject to keep you reading for the next 7 years.

Check for clutch fluid leakage behind the slave cylinder..

Front indicators can be a little bit temperamental, but that’s an easy fix and you can cross that bridge if you get there.

Engine idle speed can hunt slightly, but not a big deal.. The F4’s aren't great in hot weather at slow speed or standing traffic, but the 750’s are better than it’s bigger brother.. You shouldn't have many problems with this, but bear it in mind if you’re going to be stuck in London traffic,, Don’t over fill the coolant expansion bottle, as it will all come out again when the bike hits high engine temps ( Min level is fine when cold).

Make sure the side stand mounting bracket bolts are tight and as an addition precaution, re-torque the engine sump bolts..

Rear brake is poor and same set up as the Ducati.. Again, do a quick search on the forum and you’ll find plenty of suggested advice to improve its performance.

You’ve got yourself a nice model and if this sunny weather keeps up, I’m sure you’ll be grinning like a Cheshire Cat on ride outs.

J

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JDS; 04-13-2014 at 05:29 PM.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:59 AM

Having owned a F4 EVO3 for a few years clocking about 50,000 kms on the bike the only 'problems' I had were the rear hub which has already been mentioned. The radiators are prone to 'fail/leak' at some stage which can be prevented by adding a support to the left side of the radiator. Mine went at about 50,000 kms. Next is they run hot in city traffic but installing a larger water pump impellor (factory upgrade) seems to reduce or solve the problem. Can be done by someone with a little mechanical aptitude but undoing the hose clips may require a special tool. Finally, the riding position (bum to bars) is the most aggressive of any bike I have ever ridden and I would have to say even more so than the 748 although I have never ridden both bikes back to back. The only other thing to be aware of is the front tyre is a 65 whilst most bikes are 70. 65 can be hard to get (production may have ceased). If a 70 is fitted then the tyre may rub against the fairing on occasions. I ran a Michelin dual compound 70 front and didn't have a problem.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:26 AM

forgot to mention but RG3 are a must. The engine spins up much better and the power delivery is much smoother.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 06:34 AM

New Site Garage
Hi Chris,
I have owned my EVO3 for 9 years now, its covered 11k miles in which i do about a 1000 per year on it. Its been a great machine with only a small amount of work needed to keep it sweet, I balance the injectors every 2k miles, it has had clutch plates and springs due to slipping at 10k rpm, the engine absolutely loves being revved hard, this will take a while to get used to due to having twin cylinder bikes, these 750's scream and are very intoxicating.
I replaced the hub bearings as mentioned above at 10K as a precaution, replaced fork seals once due to leak, replaced high beam relay once, put in aluminium muzzy fan blades as originals can melt and fitted and inline switch to the fans so I can switch on when I feel the need (temp runs at 92-98 in the summer months) and I had a starter relay fill with water after a clean and short out blowing the main fuse, cheap off ebay to fix. They are easy to work on and this site is invaluable for any info you may need with a great bunch to share your experience.
I could not recommend the MV enough for that 'special' feel to motorcycling. I have owned many bikes but nothing gets attention like these do....................you will not regret the ownership.
Good luck and keep us updated.

MV F4 750 EVO3 2003
MV Brutale 910s 2007
Honda VFR800 1998
Honda MBX 125 FE 1983
F4 Agusta mini moto replica
Chinese Quadbike made of peanut butter (crunchy).

Last edited by EVO Chris; 04-14-2014 at 08:33 AM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
The only other thing to be aware of is the front tyre is a 65 whilst most bikes are 70. 65 can be hard to get (production may have ceased). If a 70 is fitted then the tyre may rub against the fairing on occasions. I ran a Michelin dual compound 70 front and didn't have a problem.
The Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa has been now come out in a 65, due to repeated requests for it, although not a really a great wet weather tyre, more of a dry road/track day tyre(which replaced the Corsa III's) :
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/moto...-17-front.html

Runs well imho with:
http://www.tyretectrading.co.uk/moto...5-17-rear.html

Regarding the 750 getting hot, mine does(yes it has 2 rads) and I have of heard from 2 others on this forum with the paint going brown with the heat at the point where the middle fairing panel meets the belly pan. I actually had burnt plastic falling off mine in this area. The problem is there is no airflow into the fairing once you get to about 35 MPH or less.
I have a manual fan overide switch fitted, which goes on just before I enter slow speed zones(doesn't give the heat a chance to even start building up), the ECU can also be set to make the fan come on at lower temp. The manual fan switch stopped most of my over heating problems immediately.

Last edited by MVBERT; 04-14-2014 at 02:46 PM.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post

The rear hub bearings need more frequent periodic servicing than the Ducati’s and if this F4’s bearings haven’t already been replaced at the indicated mileage, then I advise you have them changed for peace of mind. If you do a quick search on the forum for “Rear Hub” or “ Hub bearings”, you’ll find there’s at least 2 x volumes of War and Peace on this subject to keep you reading for the next 7 years.

Rear brake is poor and same set up as the Ducati.. Again, do a quick search on the forum and you’ll find plenty of suggested advice to improve its performance.
Good advice JDS.
When I bought mine at 8,000 miles the first thing done was new hub bearings for peace of mind, don't over torque the 2 hub bolts, get the chain tension correct as per the manual!!! Setting the MV's tension correctly is different from the jap bikes I have owned. Don't pressure wash the rear hub(or the bike for that matter).

My rear braked failed because of the heat on the reservoir near the exhaust. I fixed mine simply by fitting special heat shield tape on the resevoir and the mounting bracket, also whatever lines you can be bothered to do helps.
This is the stuff: http://www.advantage-motorsport.co.u...FZQZtAodbE4AYw
This stuff is also good for any damage to your fairings heat shielding, or even extending it to cover any problem area's

As EVO Chris says, the MV gets a lot of attention from people, I wasn't keen on this at first, but then took a chill pil, and now I am cool with it, infact I have met a few interesting people from the conversations that start up.

Last edited by MVBERT; 04-14-2014 at 02:43 PM.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated. I'm aware of the rear hub issue and heat problems. He mentioned a crack in the fairing due to heat, and that most of them get this? I suppose until you live with the bike you'll never really know her.

I remember horror stories around the Ducati when I bought her. But she ran sweet for years. And from what I read the MV is of superior build.

In regards to the hub. If it had given, what would be the signs of damage to look for? I'll definitely ask if it's been replaced yet. A good point to maybe bargain down the price.

In terms of the extreme riding position, I'm quite masochistic when it comes to this. I kinda like it to be uncomfortable, like it's a work out or something. I remember being winded by the fuel tank of the Ducati on numerous occasions. I like to think of it as if you're hanging on to an un tamed horse.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

PS. I've never replaced a rear hub before, and my tool box has seen better days. Do you know of reputable places SE that are reasonable when it comes to working on these bikes?
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpdstudio View Post
Thanks for the replies guys! Much appreciated. I'm aware of the rear hub issue and heat problems. He mentioned a crack in the fairing due to heat, and that most of them get this? I suppose until you live with the bike you'll never really know her.
Mine had that crack, and someone who posted a pick of his 750 had a cracked fairing in the same place as mine. I used a fibre glass repair kit. I think the design of the bike was a little biased towards styling, a really sleek close fitting fairing that in places just sits to close to the exhausts. Some extra heat shielding helps. I also don't allow the bike to go much over 75C(manual fan switch). When I park the bike I run the fan for a bit to chase out the excess hot air.

The suspension on these bikes is very firm, also the seat is hard. I am hoping to get my suspension set up by Chris at Xbikes, because at the moment when the road is bumpy, she tries to bounce me out of the saddle, and at speed this is not clever.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode