Superbike magazine (UK) F4-1000R v 1098S comparison test - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Superbike magazine (UK) F4-1000R v 1098S comparison test

There's a 9 page comparison test in the new July (?!) edition of Superbike magazine between the F4-1000R and the 1098S.

It's a pretty fair article from what I can gather, but not owning either an R or a 1098S I guess I can't say for sure.

The 1098 comes out the better. They say some great things about the R, like it's a total frenetic animal, that when you're 100% committed, on a track, and you get it right, then it's great. But the upshot is they though the 1098 was pretty much great all the time.

The fuel injection of the R comes in for the greatest criticism, being a bit jerky on a part throttle mid-corner. And the chassis they say is just too stiff for anything but the most perfect of tracks.

They don't really criticise the age of the design for age's sake like is most often bleated about by mags, but they do make mention tha the philosophy of frame design has changed, these days prefering a more softer, flexible design that offers better feedback.

Well that about sums it up.

Si
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 04:56 PM

Brit journos like everything too cushy....thats why they didn't get any decent lap times at Masterbike
Tont

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:09 PM

Why don't they test the 312 vs 1098, or 312 vs tricolore?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
There's a 9 page comparison test in the new July (?!) edition of Superbike magazine between the F4-1000R and the 1098S.

It's a pretty fair article from what I can gather, but not owning either an R or a 1098S I guess I can't say for sure.

The 1098 comes out the better. They say some great things about the R, like it's a total frenetic animal, that when you're 100% committed, on a track, and you get it right, then it's great. But the upshot is they though the 1098 was pretty much great all the time.

The fuel injection of the R comes in for the greatest criticism, being a bit jerky on a part throttle mid-corner. And the chassis they say is just too stiff for anything but the most perfect of tracks.

They don't really criticise the age of the design for age's sake like is most often bleated about by mags, but they do make mention tha the philosophy of frame design has changed, these days prefering a more softer, flexible design that offers better feedback.

Well that about sums it up.

Si
Thanks for the info.

I guess they're right.
Although i have never rode a 1098 (except for a ride around the gas station) i think it's no surprise that it's and easier and more forgiving bike than and F4R or 312 and a better all around bike.
But i still choose the 312 over it just a week ago
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

The test was done in February, before I think the 312 was available. And the 1098 is an S. Is the 1098 Tricolore available in S spec?

Si
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Here we go again. I have never bought a bike because of some bike journos say so. If I like it and it feels good, then thats good enough for me! However, I suppose there are people out there who hang on their every word!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 PM
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicensleazy
Here we go again. I have never bought a bike because of some bike journos say so. If I like it and it feels good, then thats good enough for me! However, I suppose there are people out there who hang on their every word!
+1
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b
Why don't they test the 312 vs 1098, or 312 vs tricolore?
Might have been worse for MV using the 312, if it's true that it is down on mid range torque over the r model.

Is it a Road AND track comparison? 1098 will always ride well on the road due to the mid range punch.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
Actually the 312 is stronger all across the rev range and the feuling is near faultless, it may just have been enough to win the UK guys over.
I have noticed that the UK mags really do not give much away to MV and seem to find ways to bag them. Of course they love Dukes. I think though eventually they will come around, maybe when Foggy starts his MV career next year.
As for the stiffness issue, if you saw the post earlier this week in the interview with Goggi he unashamedly said the new F4 's are designed for the track, if you want something for the road buy the Brutale.

MVA Sydney
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:58 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I have both an F4 1000 and the 1098. I'm not a motor journalist, I'm not a track racer.

I have 1300 street miles on the 1098, 650 or so on the F4.

I am seriously considering selling the 1098.

CAG

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode