Excessive engine braking... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-08-2014, 03:52 AM Thread Starter

Excessive engine braking...

New member....1st MV...06 F4 S...

The bike seems like it has excessive engine braking, and requires a really large blip to even get close to rev matching. Is this normal?

I've done a search on EBS, but am still unclear on how the system works. Does someone have time to explain it in detail, or share a link that does?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:14 AM Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:22 AM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
OK I will give it a go.When you close the throttle ignition is cut to No.2 cylinder and it acts as a compressor therefore giving you engine braking.Thats probably why you get that pop from the exhaust when you roll back on the throttle,unburnt fuel igniting.Hope I got that right,I will soon be told otherwise.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078 312rr
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:24 AM

New Site Garage
Sorry mate, what do you mean excessive, what are you comparing it to ?

The EBS system on your bike is controlled by the Eprom inside the ECU, this in turn controls a solenoid which opens a air bleed system to one of your cylinders, this helps reduce engine braking.
However, the EBS system only work between a pre-set rev range, I can't tell you what that is on your bike, but I think it stop's at about 4000RPM, I might be wrong.

I have run my bike without it, and it does produce a lot of engine braking, but nothing more than any other 1000 I've ridden.
I use a Microtec ECU which allows me to adjust the EBS settings.
Hope this helps.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 04-09-2014 at 05:30 AM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 05:27 AM

New Site Garage
Wink Hahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
Hope I got that right,I will soon be told otherwise.
Yup, sorry Mitch.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink engine braking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baketech View Post
The bike seems like it has excessive engine braking, and requires a really large blip to even get close to rev matching. Is this normal?
really?????

riding long? try a KTM 640 Duke ll, a 625cc 13:1 SINGLE....

pull the clutch, kill the motor in 4th at 45MPH, let the clutch out......

rear wheel is LOCKED PERIOD DOT END OF STATEMENT...

you MUST use the compression release

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Sorry mate, what do you mean excessive, what are you comparing it to ?

The EBS system on your bike is controlled by the Eprom inside the ECU, this in turn controls a solenoid which opens a air bleed system to one of your cylinders, this helps reduce engine braking.
However, the EBS system only work between a pre-set rev range, I can't tell you what that is on your bike, but I think it stop's at about 4000RPM, I might be wrong.

I have run my bike without it, and it does produce a lot of engine braking, but nothing more than any other 1000 I've ridden.
I use a Microtec ECU which allows me to adjust the EBS settings.
Hope this helps.
Thanks Donsy,

I have a hunch that my system is not working correctly, and this should be a helpful start.

Any idea if the dealer documentation has more in depth info?
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:17 AM

New Site Garage
Download the workshop manual from my website, have a bit of a fiddle, and then speak to Merc07 -- http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/member.php?u=21379 -- about doing some work on your Eprom if you need it.
Where in the world are you located ?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:26 AM

Does not the S have an EBS relay independant of the ECU located under on the left side front of the bike ?

As I understand under engine braking this system results in the EBS solenoid opening an air valve ( taking fitered air from the left side of the airbox ), and feeding this air along with an injection of fuel into #2 cylinder intake downstream of the butterfly. This mixture is ignited and adds a little torque to reduce engine braking effect.

So EBS is a kind of misnomer as it actually is an Engine braking reduction system

Those EBS relays are known to fail ....

from the 1000R 2007 the EBS function is controlled by the ECU.

Correct me if that's wrong guys

joe
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:30 AM

New Site Garage
You're right Joe, but almost to the "T", when the EBS relay fails, the solenoid stay "open", making the bike run on 3 cylinders.

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

Last edited by Donsy; 04-10-2014 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode