My 1st Sportbike - an MV F4 1000R! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
NAF
Established Member

Wink My 1st Sportbike - an MV F4 1000R!

Took delivery of my new F4 1000R last Friday, but didn’t get to ride her until Sunday (due to rain in NY).

Confession. This is my first sport bike (never even have been on a sport bike) so I was very apprehensive on riding this thing. Let’s face it, there are not many “beginner” Italian sport bike choices out there and I just fell in love with the F4 the moment I saw her (although I had also considered the Duc1098). My first sport bike HAD to be Italian (I’m Italian – born in Torino, so…), besides I feel my 6 year Harley experience gave me enough confidence to handle this baby. (Full blown 1,450cc Hog was my very first bike ever – never crashed or dropped her – knock on wood.)

First impression upon starting her – the F4 is sooooo quiet. Granted, my other bike is LOUD – but damn. My little 4 year old hates/cries when I turn on the Harley, but she didn’t seem to mind the MV one bit – hehe. Are all stock exhausts this quiet?

Anyway, first ride was just around my community as I was still just getting to know her and my objective was not crashing. Mission accomplished. Next, was time to get her on a real road. As I’m still waiting for my full face Arai, I had to wear my Harley helmet (not a full face) – so u can imagine how idiotic I looked – hehe. Luckily, most people attention was on the bike and boy did it get looks!!

Doing my best Valentino Rossi impression, I fearlessly took it up to about 60mph (3rd gear) as I’m following the recommended “break-in” procedure and keeping the tach below 6,000 rpm for the first 300 miles. The bike handles flawlessly and I couldn’t believe how easy it was to ride this thing – so tame. This is the fastest production 1,000cc bike ever? A definite confidence builder. However, I did get the feeling there is a can of whoop-ass just waiting to unleash on me past the 6000 rpm mark. We shall see…

As I mentioned in my first post, I had also considered the Duc1098, but the F4 was the choice for me. A bit more expensive, but it’s been around a few more years (fewer bugs??), it looks great (like a show piece) and has unbelievable build quality. Started on a dime, no stalls (sorry my Duc1098 brothers – couldn’t take a chance with a bike that stalls), no leaking coolant - just a perfect Italian machine (yes, there is such a thing).

The seat does get a bit warm, but no problems here. It’s always a bit cooler up in Putnam, NY so the warmth was very appreciated – no need to buy a heated seat that’s for sure.

The only problemo? Can’t wait to ride her again!! Overall, the best purchase I have ever made. Will never sell her.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:16 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
just remember your limits..... the F4 will break every law known to man..... and bones are included too.... be careful and don't forget whats under your legs....(easy to remember huh?)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 10:20 AM

Wooooooohooooooooo!!!
Congrats and nice choice
I just recently opted for an F4 over the 1098 too.

Now enjoy the ride but take it easy at first because and F4 can bite much harder than any HD if you over do it.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:11 AM

Congrats and be careful; The F4R is like getting behind the wheel of a Formula 1 car, after six years of driving a Ford Taurus.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 11:35 AM

Also, remember the seat height is much taller than a Harley and since you're leaned farther forward, you may not have as much leverage at slow speeds -not to mention a very large turning radius. So, just be careful when manuvering a slow speeds.

Just FYI, a replacement side panel is around $750 (self experience). Clutch/Break levers are around $120. I'm not sure how much are mirrors and don't even want to think about the gas tank.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:12 PM Thread Starter
NAF
Established Member

Thanks for all your replies.

Allan, not sure what you mean by 'leverage'. Height difference? I'll say. I have a 2002 Low Rider, much lower than the MV to say the least. At 5', 6", I thought the height of the MV would be an issue, but so far no prob. Can reach on my tiptoes when stopped and would have no prob leaning the bike a little ot get right foot down on any grade. The bike is definitely a light weight compared to the 600+ lb Harley.

Funny, I was talking to a guy at the dealer who has a BMW and he said he drops his bike like 2-3 times a year. However, given the cyclinder configuration on the BMW, there is almost never any damage done to his bike. Bike apparently falls and stays at a 45 deg. angle. Anyway, not the case with the MV, that's for sure. Thx for the price info on the parts.

Never dropped a bike and hope never will. (and please don't give me THAT quote - lol).

Cheers.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Established Member

You poor guy - what are you going to work up to from here? When you start at the top, there's not much room for improvement.

Seriously, congratulations on your obvious good taste, and get rid of that hog before it tries to mate with the MV.

Andy C.

'00 YAM R1
'06 MV Brutale S
'08 MV 312R
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Established Member

Congrats !!!! Bold move from cruiser to sportbike......and welcome to the dark side.

Let's see you still ride with your harley buddies on the MV.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:24 PM
Established Member

Hey man, congratulations on getting an MV! The bike may seem tame under 6k... after 6k you actually hit the powerband and feel the REAL power haha. Get used to the bike first, but as most members here will tell you, a hard break-in is the best way to break a sportbike in. Ride the crap out of that thing! If anything dont lug it too low in the rpms because that is proven to hurt the bike. I'm sure people with more experience breaking in bikes will be able to elaborate for you. Use the "search" function and you'll see what I mean . Good luck out there, hope you enjoy your masterpiece!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAF
Thanks for all your replies.

Allan, not sure what you mean by 'leverage'. Height difference? I'll say. I have a 2002 Low Rider, much lower than the MV to say the least. Cheers.
What I mean is that the riding position (taller seat, hands leaned farther forward and down) of the MV makes it harder to catch the bike as it starts to fall.

Sure it feels perfectly balanced when standing at 80 and 90 degrees - but at 40 degrees, it's challenging. Yes, self experience. I've always ridden sports bikes but the MV is the only one I give a lot more caution to at 1 mph than at 100 mph.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode