Andrea Goggi (Chief Engineer MV F4 312) says... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 03:55 AM Thread Starter

Andrea Goggi (Chief Engineer MV F4 312) says...

2 Wheels Only had an interview this month with Andrea Goggi who was the chief engineer on the 312 project...Interesting, but when you read it a second time is pretty superficial. All very well developing what you have, but there comes a point when what you are developing in relation to your competition falls so far behind it becomes nigh on impossible keep ahead. I'm talking about excessive weight. MV will need a radical rethink in the not too distant future. Whats your views?..........................

TWO WHEELS ONLY - A CHAT WITH ANDREA GOGGI

Why make the 312R now?
Around July 2006 we found for the first time it was possible to by titanium for reasonable cost. For it to be used in a production model we have to keep cost down as the development costs alone are expensive. Now we can bring this benefit to production bikes. Our goal was more revs, more power. What we have in the 312 is the best for both power and revs

The F4 concept is some ten years old, is it nearing the end?
No, we are already working on further evolution of the engine reducing the weight and changing the lubrication system. Every year there is a new Japanese rival and we are fighting to be the best. Our response is evolution, not to start with something new every three years as the Japanese do. The F4 is a demonstration that if you start with a good basic package, then you can continue development from there.

You mentioned track days in your briefing.
Yes, the F4 is becoming more and more of a track bike. If you ride this kind of bike fast on the road, then you are risking your life every time you turn the key. Normal road riders buy naked type bikes. The philosophy of this bike is that it is performance before cost. So we have a massive front part to the bike (50mm Marzocchis) and so many parts are built to strict tolerances. Itís the philosophy of Tamburini and why our bikes are so different to the Japanese.

Whatís in the future for MV bikes?
We have been working with Magneti Marelli from the beginning and if we were to develop any aspect it would be traction control that would benefit the riders.

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tont
2 Wheels Only had an interview this month with Andrea Goggi who was the chief engineer on the 312 project...Interesting, but when you read it a second time is pretty superficial. All very well developing what you have, but there comes a point when what you are developing in relation to your competition falls so far behind it becomes nigh on impossible keep ahead. I'm talking about excessive weight. MV will need a radical rethink in the not too distant future. Whats your views?..........................

Why make the 312R now?
Around July 2006 we found for the first time it was possible to by titanium for reasonable cost. For it to be used in a production model we have to keep cost down as the development costs alone are expensive. Now we can bring this benefit to production bikes. Our goal was more revs, more power. What we have in the 312 is the best for both power and revs

No, we are already working on further evolution of the engine reducing the weight and changing the lubrication system. Every year there is a new Japanese rival and we are fighting to be the best. Our response is evolution, not to start with something new every three years as the Japanese do. The F4 is a demonstration that if you start with a good basic package, then you can continue development from there.

Yes, the F4 is becoming more and more of a track bike. If you ride this kind of bike fast on the road, then you are risking your life every time you turn the key. Normal road riders buy naked type bikes. The philosophy of this bike is that it is performance before cost. So we have a massive front part to the bike (50mm Marzocchis) and so many parts are built to strict tolerances. Itís the philosophy of Tamburini and why our bikes are so different to the Japanese.

We have been working with Magneti Marelli from the beginning and if we were to develop any aspect it would be traction control that would benefit the riders.
I agree that MV needs to drasticly cut down on weight and now that i got the 312 and plan to keep it, i wish them to com out with a new bike as soon as possible
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
but there comes a point when what you are developing in relation to your competition falls so far behind it becomes nigh on impossible keep ahead. I'm talking about excessive weight. MV will need a radical rethink in the not too distant future. Whats your views?..........................
Masterbike no need to worry yet.

I also read some comments by someone involved with the MV in British superstock questioning the official weight figures of the jap bikes. Not sure if this is true.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacechumper
Masterbike no need to worry yet.

I also read some comments by someone involved with the MV in British superstock questioning the official weight figures of the jap bikes. Not sure if this is true.
The MV feels a lot heavier when you wheel it around by hand.
My Fireblade was a breeze to move around.Try pushing your MV uphill...you'll be yelling 'YOU FAT BITCH' in no time!

07 F41000R
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

09 Blazing orange Speedtriple
07 CBR 600RR trackbike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 06:25 AM

Send a message via MSN to KMS143
Quote:

Why make the 312R now?

Why would you risk your life by riding fast on the road more on this MV then on another supersport bike?
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Established Member

Weren't the 07 R1 and especially the 07 GSX-R1000 within spitting distance of the R?

Traction control on the street would be fantastic, IMHO.

Michel
RSV-R Factory
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:36 PM

The weight is only a reason for the streetbike. And as streetbike, the F4 has proven to be among the fastest on earth... hmmm
Concerning the racebike, I talked with JŲrg Teuchert, German Superbikerider, and he told me, that the weight of the MV racebike is on the same level as the competitors... hmmm

So what is that weigth issue? Canīt follow...

Red cheers
Manuel

you should either accelerate or brake - never you should coast
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS143
Why would you risk your life by riding fast on the road more on this MV then on another supersport bike?
He's not saying more than other bikes per say, but all modern sportbikes if ridden to their limits on the road would be irresponsible.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:19 PM

I'm glad they're working with evolution rather than from scratch
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Thanks for posting Tont, very interesting piece. I think its fantastic to read Goggi opinions & in what directions MV is heading. I agree that riding a modern MV aggressively on the road is not very clever. For that reason I only take out my MV for special days when things are just right. To me their is more to the MV than cold hard numbers-I love the sound & feel of the bike,the beautiful details & its just a joy to ride!
Just a note-most days I ride to work on my Vespa GT. I feel a scooter/esp a big wheeled scooter is just better in traffic & I am less like to get arrested for going way fast or end up in a hospital. I feel light weight/balance/feel & being able to control it are the future of street bikes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode