Headlight question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 08:28 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Headlight question

I just purchased an HID system however the headlights are not giving enough power to ignite the ballast. I hot wired the ballast directly to the battery and it works fine but wont work when I hook it up directly to the headlight wires. Is there anyway to increase the volts/wattage to the headlights? I have a 2007 Senna. The other thing I noticed is that the headlights do not come on unless I start the engine. My 2001 MV 750 comes on when I turn the key. Did MV change the way the lights come on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Established Member

You could run a direct wire from the battery to a Bosch 12v relay, then from the relay to the HID control unit. Cycle the relay with your original headlght power wire.
Hope this helps.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:15 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thats how I have it set up now. I cant understand why mine wont light up but others on this forum have not had any problems. I have tried 2 other HID units and the same problem occurs. Is there any other way to increase the voltage from the headlight?
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-21-2007, 11:18 PM

hmmm. not sure on that one, however the R/senna/312's now all turn the headlight on once the bike is running. older bikes aren't as fortunate.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

This could be the cause???
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 AM

your head light doesn't come on until the bike is running which gives the starter motor highest available current at start up, its a new feature on the later bikes, especially good for when your battery is a little worn or in cold weather. Also it gives your head light highest voltage as once the engine is running, the alternator will charge at a higher voltage than the battery output. usually between 13-14 volts pending on your RPMs. Measure the voltage at the headlight terminal with the bike running, also measure it at the battery terminals there should be no diference and it should be at least 12v at the headlight terminal, if not you may have a wiring problem or a high resistance joint. The HID lights use less power (current) than normal ones, they do use high voltage to ingnite but this is generated by the unit, similar to the coils for your spark plugs.

tribbo
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 01:58 AM

Ahh forgot!! if you dont get the right voltage at your headlight terminal check your relay as it may not be making good contact hence not giving full voltage through to the wiring and headlight terminal.

tribbo
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:27 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Tribbo,
Thanks. I will check tommorrow. If the voltage is different as you explained, what relay should I check? The factory low beam or the relay on the HID? I hope I dont have an electrical issue as the bike is new with less than 1000 miles.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:34 AM

my mv has a faulty low beam relay too, when i go from high beam to low beam, the low beam wont turn on untill i rev the bike a little bit so it vibrates the relay and turns it on. its going to the dealer tomorrow for service, im going to have them look at it. anyone els ever have this problem?
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-22-2007, 02:59 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

MV2envy,

I am not trying to sound mean but I am glad to hear you are having problems with your low beam relay as this may be the cause of my HID problem. LOL..... I plan to check the relay tommorrow. It seems as if this is the problem because my HID works when connected to the battery but not to the headlight wiring. When connected to the headlight wires, it sometimes it goes on, and sometimes it goes off. What a nightmare!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode