Thoughts on collectable F4 market - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Thoughts on collectable F4 market

OK, so thinking a lot about the collectable F4's. Tamburini, CC, Senna, Veltro, Ago, etc.

A lot of us bought non-collectable F4's throughout the '99-'08 period. And most of us just lusted over the collectable models. Sure, a few of us actually bought them. But, most of us just lusted.

So, here's the thing. Those of us who lusted either (1) finally bought the collectable bike we've been lusting after, or (2) realize that we'll never be able to afford that bike, or (3) the lust has passed.

Obviously, (3) is the interesting one.

Really. For how many of us has the burning desire to own a Tamburini, CC, Senna, Veltro or Ago passed? Surely for some, the desire is still there. But, I suspect for many, the fire has nearly died. After all, it's a 6+ year old bike that we've kind of grown accustomed to seeing in so many pictures on the web. And to many, the idea that it's SO FREAKING special (since really the technology of a 6 year old bike has been surpassed) has grown old. So, are there new lusters out there? New lusters must replace the (3) to prevent a decline in value.

Please don't think that I don't appreciate these jewels. Because, they each had their period of glory in all of our minds.

Objects (cars, motorcycles, works of art) go through periods of varying values and collectibility. The Ferrari market has been a roller coaster in my lifetime.

So, are we in a period where the collectable F4's are in decline. Will we have to wait for the next resurgence of interest in these bikes for values to escalate?

Just want to throw this out there, as I feel we're on the brink (or smack in the middle of) a recession in collectable F4 values.

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:28 PM

New Site Garage
I think the values will start to rise again. Yes, new bikes are swathed in a blanket of technology, but personally, I couldn't care less about that. 99% of riders can't even take a 1999 R1 to its limit, so how do they think they can take an HP4 to its limit? Sure, it has gobs of techno goodies on it, but it still takes two things to push a superbike to where it's really happy. Balls and skills (ok, that's three things). And honestly, I haven't seen a new superbike that actually sparks an interest for me. I've ridden a couple S1000RRs and they're boring. And ugly. I still lust over the Tambo, Veltro, CC, and Andrew's F4 even though they're "outdated." They're beyond my reach and I've accepted that.

Only other bike I lust after that isn't an MV is the Desmo. Lord knows I'll never own one of those.

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna (SOLD)

2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
So Nick, you're part of (4) "The lust is still there."

But, the market is suggesting that (4) is also a diminishing group. So, either new lusters must come to replace (3) and (4), or values decline.

Where will the NEW lusters come from? And when?

Baby boomers rejuvenated the market for US muscle cars. They wanted the cars of their youth. What will trigger the F4 collectable market to resurge?

Kevin
'14 MV Agusta Rivale EAS ABS

'19 SWM SM500R Supermoto

'16 Norton Commando 961 SF MkII

'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS

'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track bike

'04 Ducati Monster 1000S - Sold

'07 Husky TE-450 - Sold

'08 MV Agusta F4 1000 R 312 - Sold

"Some people achieve greatness, others have it thrust upon them. And then there are those who are ... born Italian"
post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 08:39 PM

New Site Garage
I still lust after them. The new model does not have the same sexy look as the old ones. With that being said I would lust over a limit F3. And thank you very much J spec. Not sure if my bike is that special. A money pit yes, but is very special to me.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:24 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia View Post
So Nick, you're part of (4) "The lust is still there."

But, the market is suggesting that (4) is also a diminishing group. So, either new lusters must come to replace (3) and (4), or values decline.

Where will the NEW lusters come from? And when?

Baby boomers rejuvenated the market for US muscle cars. They wanted the cars of their youth. What will trigger the F4 collectable market to resurge?
New lusters? 90% of the people I talk to about my F4 lust after it and deem it "untouchable." They don't even know about the limited edition models. Then again, 50% of those 90% don't even know what an MV is, so there you go.

And not just baby boomers want muscle cars. Everyone wants a muscle car.

And Andrew, yes, your bike is that special. I put your bike in the category of the top-end Moto Corse Platino. And I would sell a lung for one of those.

(For those who don't know what the Platino is)

Last edited by J_Spec; 04-04-2014 at 09:27 PM.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 09:36 PM

New Site Garage
Did it have a titanium frame?
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 10:01 PM

I've been asked on numerous occasions "What's a good collectable bike?" or something similar. My answer has always been, "Buy the bike you want to own and that you can afford".

Similarly I've been asked "Is this a good investment bike?". My answer is "There is not one production bike of the last twenty years which has appreciated $1 in value." That is not quite true as the Honda Rune has increased. There are some bikes which the owners have made money on usually by selling their deposit or the bike just after they took delivery. Ducati MHE, Ducati desmocedici, MV Senna come to mind. There are also some bikes which have for some reason obtained a cult status for a short period and the value of the second hand bike is higher than when purchased new. Again another Ducati, the sport classic. Remember we are talking about a bike less than 20 years since it was released.

If you sit back and analyse the limited edition bikes in many cases they are 'dressed up' standard bikes. Ducati super light is a 900 SS with carbon and a single seat. The MV Senna, Ago, Special Parts, SR, are basically standard bikes with up spec engines and different graphics which are surpassed in performance by the next generation . Then there are the 'add on' kits such as the America, Corse.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't lust after them and even buy one. Personally I have dreams of owning a F4 Tamburini or a Pista. If finances were unlimited then one of each of the oros (F4, Brutale & F3) would be in the shed simply because they were the first and in all honesty would probably never be ridden. There would be other standard, less collectable versions which would be for riding.

You will probably find that in twenty to thirty years these limited edition bikes will again be in demand simply as people will have established their careers, paid the mortgage off, the kids have left the nest and are now in a position to indulge, relive or something similar their youth and now wish to acquire their 'dream' bike which may be a limited edition or just the basic model. And yes, a limited edition low mileage original bike is always worth more than the stock standard version.
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 PM

I think if you view collectable models as a means of an investment, then look elsewhere to invest your cash.

If you view collectable models in desireablility then "yes", buy them. For what you pay, I think they are worth it. You can Nickel & Dime the cost effective ratio of various components but to me the complete package of these collectable models is really something special and more than the sum of their parts.

1992 ZX7R K1
1992 ZX7R K1 (2)
1994 Ducati 900ss
2012 FLHTCU
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:31 PM
Formerly WYD OPN

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
This is a question I've had, but never asked or researched. Has there ever been a titanium frame available for the Gen1 F4?

post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-04-2014, 11:36 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1andrew View Post
That I do not know. I'll look for the pictures from when I visited the Moto Corse warehouse and actually got to touch that bike. Also, I'm pretty sure MC Japan has a history section on their website where you can read about the different builds. I think one of the Platinos started life as a Tambo, as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode