aftermarket side stand and work stand options - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

aftermarket side stand and work stand options

Hi,

the stock side stand is a bit worrisome. the bike lists over more than other bikes.

is there a longer after market option?

also, the rear wheel stand that I got with the bike is failry useless as it requires 2 men and a small boy to use.

I used it once by myself and that was enough.

options - pitbull, FG, Handy? others and what experience.

used the FG on my 996 and it is solid.

used a Handy on a Tri ST and it only worked OK.

have a pitbull front end stand and it is ok (unfortuantely does not work on MV or Duc since there is no hole in the lower triple clamp)

tia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 02:52 PM
Smile

Hi Charlie, I've got an Abba stand for my F4, it's excellent and allows you to remove front and rear wheels. I think Emoto sell them or check out their own website: http://www.abbastands.co.uk/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:03 PM
Established Member

I've got an ABBA stand aswell and think it's excellent! As John said it allows you to remove both wheels (it's a centrestand) and also perform work on forks etc which a "normal" front stand, except the ones the fits under the triple clamp, wont do.

BTW, its a one man operation aswell

// Cris
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:26 PM

anderson stands, mine has jockey wheels...
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 04:32 PM
Pit Bull stands are certainly a good choice. Personally I find that I'm just as comfortable with the factory supplied stand as a Pit Bull after a couple of tries; even with a Pit Bull you have to go behind the bike and it's a bit nerve-wracking to lift the bike up while you're not next to it.

In fact, the factory stand is more reassuring because I can stand next to the rear of the bike when I step on it to lift it up: just balance the bike then stand on the end of the stand to lift the bike up. Maybe don't give up on the factory stand it till you've practiced some more. You just have to do it like you mean it, just like loading a bike in a truck or similar operations that require both force and feel.

As for the side-stand, you can get a side-stand puck if you park it on an incline or soft ground and feel the list is too much to bear. See http://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/parking-puck/ Keep in mind that if the bike doesn't lean over enough, that's also a problem, as it can be easily knocked the other direction by a gust of wind or a passerby.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 05:20 PM

the pitbull REVERSIBLE stand you dont' have to get behind the bike...and you can use it for either side.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 06:01 PM

I saw a bike, can't remember if it was a Ducati or MV (they had the same stands for a while there) that someone just welded a piece to the bottom to make it higher.

The bike lists over a lot, but as long as you keep the stand tight, it shouldn't be a problem. There have been reports of breakage, but it's usually on not level ground. The pivot point on the stand can loosen up, aparently.

I carry around a little piece of wood to put under the stand. Asphalt (tarmac?) turns into goosh out here in the desert over 100 degrees F. And it helps keep the bike more upright too.

Senna 026 from this board posted pictres on the old www.mvagustaf4.com site showing his Abba stand. There wasn't much of a bike left, just an engine, side plates, and swingarm. He said he likes to take the frame off to adjust the valves

'01 F4S
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 07:22 PM

New Site Garage
Check out this earlier thread you might find it useful for your question regarding rear and front paddock stands: http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ghlight=stands
The ABBA centre stand is great for rear suspension work and also for removing front wheel (if you don't have a triple clamp front stand) but it's too cumbersome and takes too long to use for track days when you want the bike up and tyre warmers on quick. I've learnt to use the factory rear stand quite efficiently (as have most of the members here) and once you get to grips with it it's really quite easy.
In the link I've mentioned above you'll find other useful links and in particular one describing easy technique for using factory rear stand.
Only problem you might have with the factory rear stand after long term use is that the black plastic spindle that inserts into the bikes' rear hub will start to get too tight in there. Happened to mine and I had to gently coax it out from the othger side using long rod and rubber mallet. I've had the plastic spindle turned down by quarter mil since and all ok (I think the newer ones come with an Ali spindle which does not suffer the same fate).
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2007, 11:14 PM

just got a pit bull reversible stand....LOVE IT. easy to use with no help and not one bit nervous using it. very stable so far and i can wheel the bike around. buying the front stand soon!
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-18-2007, 11:50 AM

beware of the front stand. there are threads on how the front stand allows for the forks to twist once the wheels is removed and the bike falls off the stand. search the threads first before you decide to get it for more info.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode