benefit of removing mid-pipe cat?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

benefit of removing mid-pipe cat??

i was wondering if this is really worth doing. maybe worth 1 hp and a bit of weight.

for $300 does not seem like it is worth the bother and upsetting Al Gore.

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:15 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Someone recently posted a dyno run where the bike actually Lost a little torque at the 6000-7000 level. But as I looked at the charts the torque curve seemed smoother. (It was like 1/2 lb/ft anyway).

I imagine the main reason to do it would be better sound. I still have the stock pipe on my 1000 but have the FBF mid pipe on the Brutale. It did make a difference in sound.

CAG
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 08:50 PM

The main benefit is the heat reduction around your right foot. The cats on these are well designed and don't really rob the bike of that much HP...but that dyno chart was interesting...the dip at 6000 and the increase at the top end. Getting the bike properly tuned will make a bigger difference...I'd do both.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 09:07 PM

My Brutale runs a bit cooler 6-8deg, seems to come on the throttle a bit smoother and makes a deeper [not particularly louder] exhaust note, also the weight difference is pretty huge 8lbs+/-

I wasn't convinced of the benefits either untill I found a 'new unused' arrow midpipe on ebay for $260 shipped so I thought why not?

It is a pretty simple bolt on job that took me about 2 hours - cause I'm anal about these things - the hardest part was taking the old section out, until I realised the cat is bolted on on both sides! [idiot]

second I found it a good idea to :

1. rub down the edges of the male fittings with emery cloth and help them fit with a bit of wd40

2. separate the two halves of the silencers and fit them individually into the mid pipe and then present the whole section to the headers for best fitment and

3. sparingly wipe down the whole pipe with wd40 before you start up the bike for the first time otherwise your greasy finger prints will etch into the stainless.

I am actually quite happy with the change and I feel it fills in the bottom end dip in torque - I will take the bike back to Airfuel for a dyno pull or two just to optimise the fueling between 4 and 6500rpms

you can see the dip on the old dyno chart that both Airfuel and I believe is cat related
Attached Images

Last edited by quacker998; 05-16-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode