Gear Changes - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Gear Changes

Anybody perform any gearing changes on an F4?? I am thinking about going down one in the front and up two in the rear. Any experience with this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 02:59 AM

New Site Garage
Hey 303andrewp, I have just purchased a new rear carrier and +2 on rear sprocket from emoto who have confirmed that it nect couple of days. I have booked a trackday on 21st May at Brands Hatch and really looking forward to feeling the difference. From what I've read about this mod it's pretty worthwhile especially for our 750's. I'm not sure how useful it'll be for you 1000 as you guys have plenty of power on tap as it is. Reason I decided to do this mod was coz a mate of mine did it to his RSVR but didn't tell me about it until half way thru our last trackday and I was wringing the crap out of my F4 and couldn't understand where he was finding all that extra grunt. From previous outings with him I knew I should be able to keep almost with him accelerating down the straights but he was just gone like I was standing still! I'm going to post a thread once I've done my next trackday with my feedback in case your interested although like I said probably a moot point in your case with the thou. Some of the other guys might have done this mod to their thou and be able to help more but that's my penny's worth for ya.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:02 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
just recieved my new chain, and sprocket set.... stock front, up three on the back... DID gold (Rk32?) not sure about the chain numbers.....but all of it loks really nice.... am going to have it installed this week...I'll post thoughts and comments asap
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303andrewp
Anybody perform any gearing changes on an F4?? I am thinking about going down one in the front and up two in the rear. Any experience with this???
I opened a thread, under customizing, with the same subject (F4 R sprockets).

For the F4 1000R, 1 tooth less in front or 3 teeth more in rear sprocket, is too much!
The choice is between none, 1 or max 2 teeth more in the rear sprocket

P.S. 2004 F4S models have 39 teeth rear sprocket, so thinks are different

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-14-2007, 10:57 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

my 2005 F4S has a 40 tooth rear sprocket (steel) is this normal for a F4 sprocket...I read that hey have aluminum rears....?? Anyways...my new sprocket is aliminum...seems to be great quality....color could be re-worked (orangish-gold) got it from Emoto..... in like 4 days...thanks Geoff!!! I'll be counting the days till the new c/f bits arrive.....woo!!!!
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 12:55 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Thumbs up

ok.... changed out my steel sprocket (40t) to a aluminum sprocket (43t).....
I have to say that I like it. I only ran about 25 miles but from the time I spent on it, it was really fun.... lots of bottom end power..... wheelies in third with just a turn of the throttle!!!!
In 6th gear at 75mph, it revs at 5 grand... and has a good bit of pull at that point. I'll have to test it out at deals gap in a few weeks...maybe I can hit the turns sooner.... but it looks like i'll be pretty busy till then.
I may order a 41t sprocket just to see what the difference is between the three. I didn't even see what the 1st gear RPM's/speed was..but it was feeling a bit shorter than before....I'll take a ride this weekend and post results..... now if only AFAM would hurry up with their development of rear sprockets I've heard 2 months for the last 5 months.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djester
ok.... changed out my steel sprocket (40t) to a aluminum sprocket (43t).....
I have to say that I like it. I only ran about 25 miles but from the time I spent on it, it was really fun.... lots of bottom end power..... wheelies in third with just a turn of the throttle!!!!
In 6th gear at 75mph, it revs at 5 grand... and has a good bit of pull at that point. I'll have to test it out at deals gap in a few weeks...maybe I can hit the turns sooner.... but it looks like i'll be pretty busy till then.
I may order a 41t sprocket just to see what the difference is between the three. I didn't even see what the 1st gear RPM's/speed was..but it was feeling a bit shorter than before....I'll take a ride this weekend and post results..... now if only AFAM would hurry up with their development of rear sprockets I've heard 2 months for the last 5 months.
Keep us update on the diff of 40t,41t n 43t.

whts the front size ur using ?
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

stock front.... 15t
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djester
stock front.... 15t
i think 14t will be better
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

from what i've heard..... -1 on front is almost = to +3 on the rear

With +3 on the rear and -1 on the front.... it would be too low for anything but a wheelie festival

another forum member has already said that he thinks +3 on the rear (F4) is way too much..... I have mixed feelings so far so I can't really say what I think..... more riding will tell.... I'll order the 41t and see how that holds up.
As for the front....i'll keep it stock.....the rear is way easier to change out.... (15 mins)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode