Would welcome your thoughts... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Would welcome your thoughts...

So here I am at 46 years young pondering the purchase of an F4. Really attracted by its beauty and the promise of exhilaration (at least that's how it plays out in my head), the sound and everything that comes with it like just looking at it in the garage on a snowy day.

Couple of minor details holding me back some: 1. I haven't ridden a bike since the 125cc enduro I owned until age 18. Biggest bike I rode back then was a 500cc Honda XR. 2. My wife is 100% opposed and very generous with guilt trips ("not just about you now that you have a family"). Can't really argue with that but that's something I'll have to sort out on my own... Just thought I'd mention it for completeness. I do wonder whether I could progressively acclimate to the kind of power an F4 delivers and whether I could ride safely in normal traffic (given horror stories I have heard about car drivers' behavior toward bikers). If only I could rent one for a little while.

However, I enjoy fast things in a very reasonable manner. Fast cars up to now. Did some rally racing many years ago for fun. Own a beast of a car today. I also have a pilot license. So I tend to do ok with coordination and really enjoy driving/riding mechanical things.

Thinking of selling my car and getting into an inexpensive daily driver and a 2014 F4 RR for the fun factor on a sunny day here in Colorado. Yes, not just the 'standard' F4 because I just go crazy for the looks of that white RR. I do that with cars as well... Can't go for the base model. The archetype dream client for savvy marketers.

I've been reading posts on this forum for a while and would love to join this group on the road as well. Would have to start with getting a riding license of course and I plan on taking courses but would really appreciate comments/testimony from experienced riders and perhaps from some mid-lifers who may have dared to 'start' off on a 1000cc. Feasible or akin to playing Russian roulette? Thanks for indulging me with this long intro. Promise to keep it short from now on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 05:33 PM

I'm 43 Veteran of Somalia,Iraq and Afghainstan. Shoulder surgery and Suffering from Sciatica. With that being said, I enjoy taking my 750 for an occasional ride every weekend just to keep me sane. I WILL NOT ride it as a daily ride or for a crazy ass long trip but rest assured I ride her. It's a matter of taste, I enjoy having something not everyone has here and enjoy caring and looking after her. The worst thing it can happen is that you buy it and it becomes a Garage queen but in Colorado?? I doubt that..Buy it and ride it as much as you possibly can....you will enjoy it.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 05:44 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for your feedback! And deepest thanks for your service. I hope you find a way to fix that back problem. I can relate to those sciatic pains... Had back surgery last year for a bulged disk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 05:49 PM

Start of with something a lot slower, like a Brutale.

Seriously though, if you haven't ridden in almost 30 years; get something smaller, cheaper, and won't be afraid to drop...BECAUSE YOU WILL DROP IT! Find a cheap GSXR 600 and ride it for a few months, then decide whether you want to drop that much coinage on a new F4RR.

I had ridden cruisers for many years before I went back to sportbikes. About five years ago I got tired of my son smoking me on his GSXR while I was on my Road King. Bought a Honda F4i, went to a Ducati, then an Aprilia, then the F4. Now I smoke him!

Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... ~Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by micwhitt1; 03-22-2014 at 05:56 PM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:47 PM

The path forward....

Agree with last post. So I have ridden constantly since age 12, and I'm 56 years young today. Don't have a pilots license, but have 'flown' motocross bikes and raced them for 40 of my years. Still do a bit of vintage and toned down tracks racing. Also, fulfilled lifelong dreams racing road race at Daytona, on an air cooled Honda MT125R ( look it up amazing machine for its time) and a modern RS125R. Still a bucket list to ride my '91 TZ 250 there. In any case I have considerable riding and racing experience at a family expert level.

I can honestly say you do not want to go from not a lot of street experience and only riding a milder older 500 to an MV? I own a F4 1000 Senna and for sure it is an amazing machine, brilliant looks and performance. However, it does command focus, respect, and some self control as it is capable of great speed in a hurry.

Go for your goal! Get a 250 Ninja or CBR 250 and have some good skill building fun on good roads, with a light but mild bike. Learn the handling / braking skills. Far better to go fast on a slower bike than slow on a faster bike. Then, once you have some saddle time, and wife's support. Get a 600 used and ride it some to step up speed and weight, once you have. Hammered the 600 and have more skill and defensive riding, then you are ready for the dream bike. That way you have good riding skills, bout up confidence and wife points, and you know how much you still love riding. Once you get to that's point the MV is a great step and awesome machine you can really enjoy.

Stepping directly to the MV is a huge step and in my opinion with many riding years, unwise.

Last edited by ossaracer; 03-22-2014 at 06:58 PM.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:50 PM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

Hey time2gomv,

I have been riding for years since about 22 years old and now I'm 39. I started of with the old school model of Yamaha 600, Blackhawk 1000, cbr 900rr, gsxr 1000's from the 2002 model to the 2007 model. Then all of sudden in 2009 I get hit by a drunk driver and ruptured my quad, road rash and broke both of my hands. At this point i didn't have a family but I knew i would someday and ride again. About a year later I purchased a 2009 zx6-r strictly for the track to get me back on the ball. I loved the track especially the twisties come in and out of the breaks but still wasn't ready for the street just yet. Then in 2011 I said you know what let's make the dreams come reality which for me was going Italian on em. Lol. After purchasing a Maserati Coupe and realizing what true power is on the road it was all to easy to go out and a get 2012F4 1000r. Now for me the the r was the choice and I flipped the color on mine and used that extra 5k that the rr costs to get tru

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 06:57 PM
Formerly - dagmvagusta

True upgrades like real ohlins internals and ttx shock and not the branded ohlins. All this to say I'm Turning 40 with a 3 year old son now with my toys and I wouldn't have it any other way. When you ride with a family you need to make sure your affairs are in order in the event a misfortune happens. When your affaires are in order your mind will be at peace to enjoy the F4 and your other toys. Have fun man.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

"In the middle of difficulty lies OPPORTUNITY!"
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:37 PM

Send a message via AIM to Gearhead
Good advice on here.
I would also recommend a step up riding smaller street bikes first.
I have seen too many fellows really hurt themselves seriously jumping on a liter bike with little road experience.
I am 56, learned to ride at 12, dirt bikes, XL Honda, then bought a H2 Kawasaki 750, big mistake I came close to cashing it in too many times. Then a Harley 72 Super Glide, Kawasaki Z1R, &50 Norton, 750 Kawasaki 4 cyl, then, a few Honda 750s, Then GPz 550, Suzuki Katana, GSXR 1100 first generation, and about six more road bikes then a new HD 1450 Softail (still have it) and then 2.5 years ago the F4 1000R.
I had a few hard wrecks, and was lucky no real debilitating damage, still have issues with a displaced atlas. I should have started smaller and worked up. I have six friends that are not around anymore also.

Take a Motorcycle Safety Foundation course, Start out on a smaller sport bike, then after a year if you still have the fever step up to a 600 then 6-12 months an F4. You have to acclimate your reflexes and perception. Liter bikes are unworldly fast. And the F4 will wheelie at over 65 mph easy.
You really want to see your children grow up.
I did not go from a Cessna 152 right into an Aerostar or M2, either.

Ed
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-22-2014, 07:38 PM

Fast cars are not quite the same as fast bikes on the public highway. I hadn't ridden for 6 years, got given a 600cc Suzuki bandit, rode it for 1 yr, then got the MV 750F4. The 2014 F4 RR is a lot of horses for a 28yr gap.

The police tell me that the most vulnerable riders(those dying at the fastest rate)are the born again bikers in their 40's who get the really fast bikes. My opinon for what it's worth is there are several things to learn with bikes over cars, road surface conditions, being able to make the bike go round the corner(most bike accidents involve the biker and the corner, no one else) and finally cars not seeing you, and you as a rider trying to anticipate the car drivers moves. Give yourself some time to pick up a basic skill set on a much slower machine.
And don't forget to ride a bike in full armoured riding kit. You can get perforated leathers and boots for those hot days. I wouldn't have half the injuries I have today if back in the 1980's they had the high level kit that is available today.

I'm now 46yrs old by the way, and despite having my Italian mistress into the 4th year, I still get a real buzz of looking at her in the garage when the weather is being typically British!

Good luck to you Time2GoMV in what ever choices you make.

Last edited by MVBERT; 03-22-2014 at 07:53 PM.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 12:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink

Time2GoMV;

big bikes are a whole new world......they can bite HARD, really HARD

back when you were riding, RD-350's had 40HP and were knick named "road death"

now quadruple the horse power.......

we put Fritz Egli, 2 time Swiss National Open Class Champion on a liter bike with his name on it.......at Hochenheim at a Das Motorrad magazine test...

oh, he launched it alright......and turned pale

his comment roughly translated from Swiss German...

"God damn, that thing is fast"

that was 5 years from being National Champion

buy a used SV-650 and get familiar with riding again.....

then get the MV

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode