MV Agusta Forum banner

new '06 F4 - overheating and poor gas mileage

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Ozboy 
#1 ·
so far, not so good.

the bike leaves a puddle of coolant when ever it is hot and parked

mileage 26.5mpg on break-in, i can only imagine mileage once I really hammer it

will be taking it in for service

I hope this is all resolved or I need to look into getting something else.

#2 ·
#3 ·
as for your mpg......

that IS what all MVs get....
sorry about that
none of us know where all the gas goes

while japanese I-4 bikes with similiar horsepower/weight ratings get 10 mpg MORE....
we are left with a much more desirable product
but, one that "loses" gas somewhere

#4 ·
+1 Greg.....but worth 'loosing' for for the experience eh!!
The fuel consumption does get a bit better once you have broken it in though not much!!
tont

#5 ·
I looked through the posts. not a clear cut fix that I could see. what I saw is that this is a fairly common problem.

i am not drinking the MV koolade yet, so my expectations are not to settle and accept issues.

I know every manufacuturer has it's issues. This seems to be systemic. i can get on with one of the big-4 liter bikes.

#7 ·
Tont said:
+1 Greg.....but worth 'loosing' for for the experience eh!!
The fuel consumption does get a bit better once you have broken it in though not much!!
tont
NO question it's 100% worth it
thanks goodness MV puts a 5 gallon tank on it's bikes......
unlike ducati with that 3.6 one on the monster series (though, they get 10 mpg MORE than our MVs)

#8 ·
spalding12 said:
as for your mpg......

sorry about that

while japanese I-4 bikes with similiar horsepower/weight ratings get 10 mpg MORE....
we are left with a much more desirable product
but, one that "loses" gas somewhere
Sorry, not all MVs get 26mpg.

I get between 38-40mpg (mixed city/highway riding). Solid freeway crusing will push it up to almost 45mpg.

Alex

#9 ·
altoon said:
Sorry, not all MVs get 26mpg.

I get between 38-40mpg (mixed city/highway riding). Solid freeway crusing will push it up to almost 45mpg.

Alex
you must be counting your mileage differently than the rest of us.....
because i know of no other mv that gets close to 32 mpg

45?

no way in hell....
unless someone took out that MV motor and put in one from a honda 600

seriously

#12 ·
spalding12 said:
you must be counting your mileage differently than the rest of us.....
because i know of no other mv that gets close to 32 mpg

45?

no way in hell....
unless someone took out that MV motor and put in one from a honda 600

seriously
i just checked my numbers. yeah 45 is high. sorry.

but i have done 40mpg. back a while, 160miles & put 4 gal in to fill it up.
seems like i'm getting more around 38-39 now.

but it's over 32. pretty comfortably.

alex

#13 ·
altoon said:
i just checked my numbers. yeah 45 is high. sorry.

but i have done 40mpg. back a while, 160miles & put 4 gal in to fill it up.
seems like i'm getting more around 38-39 now.

but it's over 32. pretty comfortably.

alex
excellent...
you are truly lucky
my well-tuned.... pciii/usb brutale 910R....
i'm LUCKY to get 28.... even when i'm "riding her like my grandma"

#14 · (Edited)
spalding12 said:
as for your mpg......

sorry about that

Reakon your about right. I did my own calcs and yep :baddeal:
But I don't think thats a considerable difference, unless you are using the bike to commute, then its a concern.

But as a reference, my old 97' ZX-6R Kawa did about 12 mpg more than the mentioned jap bikes ;)

#15 ·
At least we can get further than a 1098....feedback seems to be 80 miles and your urgently looking for gas. I couldn't live with that!! Going to be touring round France next month and we have a 1098 coming with us....I can see alot of premature fuel stops..its going to be a right pain...
Upside though...I'll be in France on an MV...can't wish for fuch more!!!
Tont

#17 · (Edited)
charliep said:
so far, not so good.

Don't jump to conclusions that the MV is the only superbike to do this..(get hot)

I would like to try and justify this problem by example.

The Superbike motorcycle class is pushing the boundarys for power output inside a motorcycle. Therefore its hard to keep them cool.
It seems the manufacturers are comfortable sacrificing thermal stability for more power.

There are threads like this about other superbikes:

CBR-1000 (no. one in technology)
http://www.sportbikez.net/phorum/read.php?13,192041,192876#msg-192876
You will see the resonces indicate an acceptance of the problem like you will see on this forum.

ZX-12
http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1619

ZX-6 & ZX-10
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10395&highlight=traffic+overheat

Heres a quote from a review about a GSXR
"Engine temperatures also remain stable unlike some overheating prone ZX-6R and 10's."
from here:http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/motorcyclereviewdetail/rv=27690/veh=14027/review27690.htm
Guess we can assume the GSXR is better..

R1
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-185555.html
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-197360.html
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-192572.html
overheating one guy says, normal says another :) sounds famillar
http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167137
http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/showthread.php?t=327919
quote:"But most all bikes when you are in traffic are hot as hell. Moving is perfectly fine though"

OK so it seems from my quick searching the GSXR is the most stable, ain't got time to search anymore.

Also when i got my bike serviced last time I told the mechanic how hot it got in traffic on the way, he said don't worry some of the other 1000's are as bad or worse. I couldn't believe it ;) but I was easily convinced......

charliep said:
i can get on with one of the big-4 liter bikes.
Maybe only 1 of 1 ;) , but i'd be surprised if the GSXR didn't get hot too..

#18 ·
spalding12 said:
that trip sounds awesome
i hope you will take some pictures to show us
have a wonderful time..... and, ride safely

Thanks Greg,
I have added a few pics of previous trip to my album.
Be assured I will take plenty of pics this year!
Tont

#20 ·
no offense but people crack me up with gas milage topics.....i mean it is a "sportbike" built specifically for "racing". If you are concerned with gas mileage you should look for a sport touring motorcycle or cruiser....poor mileage is not an MV thing it's seen in all the inline four R model motorcycles.

#21 ·
Ahh, I agree 50%.

Fuel mileage is also a measure of engine efficiency, which has more implications than just economics or environmental friendliness. A major topic in MotoGP this year is efficiency.

But I think most people complain about mileage for economic reasons (my opinion only!), which I agree, is kinda misguided when you're sitting on top of an over $20k bike with top level performance.

Also note that the rider is likely the biggest variable in fuel efficiency.

#22 ·
I am sure other makes have overheating issues. on the MV it looks to be across the board and a design issue. I guess if you keep your bike in the living room it is a moot point.

I ride the bike and having it spew coolant and seeing the temp gauge hit 230F is unacceptable. if the dealer can make it right, great. if not, MV will be buying this bike back. as for the gas mileage, it is a hassle filling up the tank ever 110miles.

I ride every day and therefore probably expect to have a bike that is up to the task.

am dropping off the bike today.

#23 ·
My last bikes in Phoenix, AZ were a '04 R1, '05 999 and all of them have run very hot as I drove them almost every day all year round. Both the R1 and 999 were constantly into the 212 to 230 range. Actually, I literally had burns marks and blisters from the 999 on my left leg and the scar are still there! So, as someone mentioned, I do think modern high performance sportbikes will run very hot.

In regards to fuel mileage, I'm only able to get about 100 miles on my '05 MV - however, 95% of my riding is canyon riding to work. It's mostly under 6K rpm but lots of rpm variation -as opposed to constant 5K-6K on a freeway drone. And, I supect that and just slower speeds are why I'm not getting an extra 40mph range.

Charlie, what city are are you in and are is your mileage city or freeway?

#24 ·
I am in the San Diego area.

The 26.5mpg is commuting to/from work. This is 12 miles backroads and 8 miles freeway (20 miles each way)

for reference my 996 get's high 30's and occasionally 40mpg, runs much cooler. the '04 Mille I sold to get the MV was low 30's.

i have been using restraint on the MV since I am still running it in. I do get on it and have been gradually increasing rpm limit.

bike is in the shop now, so we will see. at 600 miles they made mention of doing an adjustment to the fueling as if this was NOP. I sent them email pictures of the amount of collant it was loosing after being parked. they agree this is not normal.

#25 ·
Charlie, remember that Italian machinery is fickle...but it does make great music when on it and its level of craftsmanship is second to none...its like a beautiful model woman...its fickle and you have to put up with more...but nothing like it when everything is working perfectly :) :crazyeyes

#26 ·
charliep said:
so far, not so good.

I had a coolant problem (literally) right out of the box!!! Same problem as you explained.. I would not leak while on the stand or riding, but parked on the stand it leaked like a gutted pig. I turned out to be a bad thermometer...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.