New owner Need help Quick - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Angry New owner Need help Quick

so I picked up a 2000 F4 and the thing is a dog and gets about 75 miles to the tank?? It falls completly on its face up to 6000 rpm and is even hard to get going from a stop..The intake is loud as can be with barly any noise from the exhaust and blows some smoke alot of the time when reving hard... Tell me this, If I dumped the clutch in 1st gear going about20-30mph should the front end come up at all?? well it dosent. It feels like a damn 250.. WHAT THE HELL MV
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmin540
so I picked up a 2000 F4 and the thing is a dog and gets about 75 miles to the tank?? It falls completly on its face up to 6000 rpm and is even hard to get going from a stop..The intake is loud as can be with barly any noise from the exhaust and blows some smoke alot of the time when reving hard... Tell me this, If I dumped the clutch in 1st gear going about20-30mph should the front end come up at all?? well it dosent. It feels like a damn 250.. WHAT THE HELL MV
Sounds like it might be a little bit sick, you should get about ~140 miles per tank, not blow smoke.

Not sure about lifting the wheel cause I have a 1000, but I would extect it should.

I hope its not as bad as it sounds, get it checked out.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:41 AM
Red face

I'd get a competent mechanic to check it out asap, sounds like you've bought a bit of a pup.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...Ö..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:54 AM

I bought a 2000 F4 last year that was a little bit like that. It was down to the fact that the engine oil hadn't been changed in 6 years. (Though the bike was very low mileage so hadn't been serviced since it's 600 mile first service.)

I changed the oil and it ran a lot better, revved more willingly and ran a lot cooler.

Mine also smokes a bit when cold, but it's actually steam from moisture build up and from any water ingress into the exhaust if I've washed it.

My fuel economy is pretty bad, and I know I need to get it set up, but it sounds to me like yours is way too rich. There's probably not too much wrong with it, just sounds like it needs a decent service. Oh, but don't expect decent power under 6k rpm regardless. They really do have two-stroke like power curves.

Si
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

can you lift the front wheel of the ground at all?? cat
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:25 PM
Established Member

Yep mine was like this, get a service or do one yourself I bet the plugs are knackered/well fouled! Change the oil and air filter then take it for a good ride and I reckon it should sort it.

The power on the 750 only really starts ay 6K so if you want to make progress you need to rev it!

'98 916 SPS. '01 MV F4S 750.07 Suzuki VStrom
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

I couldnt get the spark plug socket past the valve cover and the air filter was horrible also what oil can I go get?? It has only 4300 miles on her.. thanks for the help
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 03:19 PM

bemmin540,

Seek immediate MV service help BY AN MV EXPERT.

Goodluck
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 05:05 PM

Don't blame MV though, blame whoever you bought it from.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bemmin540
I couldnt get the spark plug socket past the valve cover and the air filter was horrible also what oil can I go get?? It has only 4300 miles on her.. thanks for the help
I had to buy a snapon thin-walled spark plug socket to get 'em out. It was not cheap.

I use the Agip 4T when I can find it, but I've used motul in the past. Any motorcycle oil should be fine though.

I have an '00 750 also.

True: The intake is LOUD, the exhaust is not. It doesn't get screaming until past 6K.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode