What More - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

What More

WHat more could go wrong! so i have my plane ticket money down on a bike. set to leave next weekend to buy an awesome bike. I call the Ducati service man and he says he will not work on it. so i found out there is another ducati tech here and he says he would not touch it either even if i had the manual and a few speciality tools. so i call Seattle and talk to there service guy about the bike and i ask him how important are these service intervals because on japanese bikes you really can go past the intervals and never feel any pain. but the service guy says that i want to bring it in at everyone that the bike can be finicky and if i want a good running bike it needs to be taken care of so i thought well all service men say that and told him that and i wanted the real scoop on the bike and he said it had a standard valve train and any trusted mechanic with the manual could do all the work no problem there was only 3 specialty tools needed for really odd things. he also said he was not talking me out of the bike but if i was to buy then i needed someone that would be able to look at it. and every dealer i know with a good service guy says no due to liability so a buddy at the duc shop give me a guys # that used to be there lead tech and is a car mechanic and still works on older bikes so i call him and he says i have never touched one but i am game. so now i am in the boat of do i but a $25K machine and trust a guy working out of his garage with no liability to fix it? sounds like i might be taking my money somewhere else. any comments on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:05 PM

Err are you buying a gusta or a Ducati?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

well i was looking at the f4 312 or at least that is where my money is right now. so i called pat clark in las vegas and their service guy said as long as i did the 600mi oil change stuff basic 600mi. i would be fine that the 6000 mi adj. they RARELY have any issues that the motors were on spec with the Japanese bikes and i would know if something started to fail long before the interval. unlike v twins they could have something rattle loose at any time and the 1098 was to new and they have not had any come in for there service. so the seattle service tech says bring it in stay on top and the vegas sevice boss says i will be just fine if i skip the intervals professionally and unofficially.so the seattle dealer said they would throw in the mainenance manual, 2 oil filters, and some wheel nut or something to that effect. and also so the techs would be more than happy to fly up if i split the cost of the ticket so as of now the deal is on and sounds like the seattle dealership is going out of its way to make me happy about buying this bike. what are you guys feelings about the service intervals?
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 PM

I can't read your posts due to the lack of paragraphs
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 08:56 PM

wa2fst,

Maintenance is an issue. If you can do it yourself then it shouldn't be an issue. Unfortunately, MV is a small company without a huge dealer network and it should factor into the equation. It's probably no different than buying a Ferrari, it is going to require some specialized maintance.

As far as the bike goes I don't think you will be dissapointed. Unfortunately the price of admission is pretty steep; in bike costs, parts and maintenance. If you are just looking for good performance and low maintenance you are probably better of buying something Japanese.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

thanks for you input i already own japanese and i want to own an upper echelon bike with character. but after talking to a few different service techs and getting the same answer i am more comfortable buying this bike. i am an airplane mechanic by trade and work on my race R1 and mine and everyone elses small engines so i have sense of mechanical knowledge. but my issue was does this bike need constant attention to mainenance are parts always breaking? does it require constant adjusting like v twins can or do. and the answer i got was no it does not as long as i do the initial 600 mi which is not big deal and keep up with regular oil changes then the bike like japanese bikes will never need vlv adj. or anything else done to it the motor is really solid. per service techs. not saying that things go out on the bike but it would be a rarity. so the dealer said he would throw in the black and red MV leather jacket the service manual on disc a cpl of oil filters and some nut? not sure what he was talking about. and he also said the service tech there said they would be more than happy to fly Alaska if i pay half the ticket to work on it in my garage and that my friends, tell me that the dealer in Bellevue Wa is commited to selling a high end bike and taking care of there customer so after 2yrs i would barely have something close to 6K mi so the warranty would be expired and i talked to local mech. that said they would service it under the table. so today MV has once again made me happy and i do not even have it in my possession yet.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 02:52 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
If you are mechanically inclined and enjoy tinkering you should be fine.

You can allways fly a technician if onece a year or when required if you really need to.
I used to live in Singapore, and used to fly a Ducati guy up to service mine and some mates bikes. He used it as a holiday so it all went well.

Enjoy your toy.

MVA Sydney
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2007, 01:30 PM

If you're mechanically inclined, you should have no problems, especially if you have the manual and access to the mvagusta.net...get the bike and enjoy it! Our bikes are actually remarkably reliable, just search the forum threads and you'll probably see more threads about nice long rides rather than bad reliability.

Last edited by outtadaloop; 05-04-2007 at 01:33 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode