Collapsed Fuel Tank - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Collapsed Fuel Tank

About a month ago i picked up a 07, F4 1000R... The happiest day of my life... But this past weekend i was on my lovely way down to Maryland to meet with other fellow riders... Then the unthinkable happened. My fule tank collapsed... I couldn't believe my eyes. Has this ever happen to anyone or is this a sign of a recall?
Then on top of things the dealer wantted me to ride the bike to them...
But after a while of screaming, they're going to pick it up tomorrow. I just hope that they don't have it for no more then a week...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:14 PM

This can happen if the vent isn't working.

Did you hear air sucking sounds after shutting off the bike before?

But it can also happen fairly easily by putting weight on it, so this might be what your dealer might argue.

'01 F4S
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I didn't hear any sucking noise after shutting the bike off bit I did notice when I went to refuel, alot of pressure would come out of the tank or some in...

It's not only the top of the tank that's damaged, the sides of it are sucked in as well... I feel like i'm riding a Ducati..
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
Rick,

After looking at those pictues i can't believe that would happen to any kind of motorcycle while you were riding it. i am sorry this had to happen at all, and hopefully your dealer will recognize that you spent over 20K on a bike and would appreciate some quality service!! Keep us informed on the final outcome.

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:25 PM

It was going back in.

Your vent wasn't working right. Those fuel pumps can suck pretty hard and they can do this to a tank. In the old days of gravity feed, you'd just "run out of gas".

This can sometimes be fixed by just pumping up the tank and blowing it back out if it didn't damage the metal or paint too much.

'01 F4S
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:33 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
I've heard of this before. Some guy at Laguna Seca last year had the same thing happen to him. Not sure the cause, but from what I remember, there was a HUGE temperature difference between the inland areas, and near the ocean. Like 20-30F, and the collapse happened after the bike went from the hot climate to cold.

I'm going from my vague memory here, but that's what I recall.

Alex

Last edited by altoon; 05-02-2007 at 01:34 PM. Reason: typo
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:43 PM

I have a new F4 also, when I parked it in the garage a few days ago I heard what sounded like the radiator boiling; it was pressure in the fuel tank escaping plus gas fumes. Hope it's reconciled to your satisfaction!

Julian

R312 5,425 mi
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Julian, when you go to refuel, does alot of air get sucked in? or do you have a hard time opening the gas cap? If so then you have the same problem as I.

It also chipped a little paint of the corners of the air box. Should i have them replace that as well?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:00 PM

I haven't had pressure in the F4 tank when refueling but I'll watch it and mention it to the dealer when it goes in for the 600 mi. inspection next week. I would certainly expect for your dealer to fix everything to your complete satisfaction.

Julian

R312 5,425 mi
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
Julian, when you go to refuel, does alot of air get sucked in? or do you have a hard time opening the gas cap? If so then you have the same problem as I.

It also chipped a little paint of the corners of the air box. Should i have them replace that as well?
I'd have them replace everything that was damaged by the blocked vent line, and if that includes the airbox then so be it. You shouldn't get any argument.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode