Arrow exhaust options - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Arrow exhaust options

I've been doing a bit of research and after hearing the Arrow (twin can) exhaust in the multimedia section, I'm hooked on this exhaust. I talked directly to Arrow and I found a dealer they recommended here in the U.S. with very good prices but there are several options available. First, there's the full Ti race system, Ti headers, etc...not recommended for street use. Second, there's the full system with stainless headers. Might be incrementally better for heat retention and heat the fan/radiator assembly a bit less? Then there's the midpipe/slip on combo without the headers and lastly, just the slip on's. At the very least, it'd be the midpipe/slip on combo.

If I can stick with the midpipe/slip on combo and get that fabulous sound, I'll go that route. The full system with stainless headers is actually not that much more in cost (a few $100 more) but I'm honestly not looking for any increase in hp. Naturally the full Ti system is much more expensive and I'm not sure why they do not recommend it for street use. Sound levels and perhaps the thin wall Ti doesn't hold up to daily abuse?

For those who have the arrow, does the sound get tiresome in "cruise" mode? I'm taking several long trips this summer.

Michel
RSV-R Factory
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:33 AM

An exhaust is like a chain, its only as strong as the weakest link. Get the headers.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:35 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
the lower notes are very deep and pound....but are not irritating. I love my full Ti ehaust.... it doesn't have the removable baffles, my guess is that they've been removed. The others have removable baffles for noise choices. As for the Ti system not holding up.....I would think that the Ti system would be better in all aspects..... the mufflers will need to be re-packed sooner than the stainless ones....other than that I think th Ti system would shed heat better... I haven't had any problems yet with my exhaust. I love it. Fast by Ferracci are a bit longer than the Arrow's cans.... You'll need a eprom burned just for your exhaust/bike combo.....ferracci can help with that. I got a power comander and new filter too.... free up the rear = free up the intake too.....
I took the stickers off as soon as I had them out of the box.......ugh....

Last edited by Djester; 04-27-2007 at 09:38 AM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Apparently the mufflers are Ti, it's just the headers? Maybe you're right, as the full system with stainless headers isn't any more expensive than what you would pay for any of the JDM bikes which is quite refreshing.

And are the factory headers really that bad?

Michel
RSV-R Factory
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

I think the mufflers are stainless...if not labeled Ti on the site..... either way I got the Ti for the power and weight savings....what a difference.... the stock system was very heavy.... the Ti headers didn't look too much bigger but it isn't like theres much room under the bike for bigger ones in the first place...they cool down way faster than the stainless. either way...you'll be happy.... stainless gives you a choice loud or not-as-loud
are you looking at getting the carbon ones? they'd cool down quick too
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I've actually thought about the carbon cans as the carbon itself provides a bit of heat shielding for the underseat as opposed to metal cans (it transfers less heat).

So you've not had any issues with the Ti system then? I've heard of Ti systems cracking on twin configurations (RSV-R comes to mind) and they've switched to stainless for the header system, specifically Akrapovic.

Here's a link (just read it again and they're Ti mufflers):
http://www.gearitalia.com/product.asp?ID=1072&C=10&S=14

I think the main problem with Ti is that it's very brittle. It's also very strong for it's weight and the wall thickness of the typical Ti header isn't much and less than the stainless counterpart. That's where much of the weight savings comes from. Because the walls are thinner, they tend to suffer from stress fractures a bit more than the stainless header. I'm sure this is especially true on twins and it might not be a problem on I-4 bikes, who knows. I'm sure the difference between a full stainless header and Ti header in terms of conductivity is almost nil. I'd be better off ceramic coating the header inside/outside now that I think about it.

Michel
RSV-R Factory
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:01 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

between the stainless and Ti headers ...there wasn't much wieght difference..... the differece was between the slip ons and the middy pipe...... headers only had a different look to them... not really bigger or lighter... just looked like Ti.
that site doesn't have the Full Ti system listed (does it?)
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 11:36 AM

actually Ti is stronger and lighter than stainless. Ti uses a thinner wall becuase it is stronger and thinner means lighter. if you were to weigh the original headers with Ti you would see the difference. there is no more power from Ti headers and stainless headers unless the Ti are bent or routed a tiny bit to allow air and back pressure to be different which you would only really notice on 2 different brands of exhuast each company has their unique bends to make a difference in power. also Ti will not allow anymore heat out than stainless does. Carbon fibre does reduce heat and that is why a lot prefer it for underseat exhaust but is more brittle but i am talking having to kick it to break it.if Ti headers are cracking most likely it is due to the company or because of the V-twin which rumble or vibrate a lot.With the not street legal or race version exhaust is usually the baffliing has been removed or set up different which is louder and most states enfoce a noise ordinance and if the company did not disclaim this then they would be paying your fines all the time. all exhaust companies have a street and race version most people always buy the race version because in reality the only reason to put on the exhaust is to change the music of the bike or full system to get max carnage out of the machine. hope this helps
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

It does! I'm assuming Arrow did their research and made some sort of improvement in the header design over stock. For the measly price difference, why not find out!

Decisions, decisions...

Michel
RSV-R Factory
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psperl
An exhaust is like a chain, its only as strong as the weakest link. Get the headers.
where do they sell the headers ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode