Ok...now I'm Pissed - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Ok...now I'm Pissed

still having overheating problems......riding yesterday and the fans are running like crazy and the bike is still overheating

Today...call North American Warhorse....the only MV tech has joined the MV racing team and will not be available until mid May. Called FBF, the tech's joined the MV racing team and won't be available until late May

WTF!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 02:52 PM

Be more specific. I know the bikes run hot. Fans are not set to come on till ~125 on the 06's and ~130-135 on the R's and 312's. I did go back and read earlier posts in March...but tell us more...than I will talk to Jason at FBF and anyone else I have too...

Peter

Last edited by Reopropf; 04-25-2007 at 02:58 PM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:36 PM

SO how many kilometers has the bike done? Is it still running in? What is the temp when you are cruising on the open road vs in heavy traffic? What is the ambient air temp? Is the coolant overflowing, purging or boiling? What coolant are you using? Is there anysign of leakage from the pump as distinct from the coolant overflow pipe?

Cheers
Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo
still having overheating problems......riding yesterday and the fans are running like crazy and the bike is still overheating

Today...call North American Warhorse....the only MV tech has joined the MV racing team and will not be available until mid May. Called FBF, the tech's joined the MV racing team and won't be available until late May

WTF!

DocMV

- MV Agusta Brutale RR1090
- Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
- Ducati Monster 659

The only thing better than a fast Italian motorcycle is several fast italian motorcycles.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

I just talked with my local dealer about a bike they have for sale. The same thing was happening to this bike. It ended up being a wiring harness.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 08:11 PM

the fan relay on my bike was f*cked from the start - a defctive part. Also, I know another F41000R owner who had a defective water pump from new. When you add these quality control issues to the propensity of the F4 to run hot in traffic, the mixture can have dramatic effects....

DocMV

- MV Agusta Brutale RR1090
- Ducati Diavel Carbon Red
- Ducati Monster 659

The only thing better than a fast Italian motorcycle is several fast italian motorcycles.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

well...the other day it was in the mid 70's....i was riding not necessarily sitting in alot of traffic but the temp get's to 250F and begins to flash....I would get out of traffic and get a breeze going to cool off a bit and the temp would stay around 240 - 245 flashing. I got to a place to park for awhile and coolant was coming from the belly pan...i looked at the overflow bottle and it was boiling.

I am running with Engine Ice. The fans are operating but the temps is still reaching those high numbers and flashing......I remember baslining around 230F
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:17 AM

That is HOT. I did speak to Jason at FBF. He agrees, that is HOT. You gotta keep these big engines with all the fairings MOVING . Make sure coolant is refilled.

He says you should take it to be checked out. Also, an auxillary fan switch can be put on for YOU to turn fan on sooner. FBF SERVICE dept. is open for full MV service. Just call Doug and schedule appt. Patience is necessary as I know they are busy as the season is in full swing here, as you know.

Peter
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Ok...I just found the problem....I removed the fairings from the bike and inspected both fans....the tips of the blades are completely warped...In the case of the upper fan to the point where the tip of the blade was causing the fan to hit the housing and if you spin the blade by hand, without the bike running it would catch and stop...I took some wire cutters and clipped some of the warped tips until the blade turned freely...now for the good part....I fired up the MV and turned up the choke and left it running for awhile watching TV in the house....I come back out to the garage, temp is 208, I look at the fans and what do I see??????? only the lower fan operating...the upper fan is not functioning.....switch the bike off, take the connecter off and put a volt meter on it...no power.....inspect the wiring and notice the headers completely melted the wiring harness, severing the wiring......

Now...i called FBF yesterday and they said there is nobody to work on the motorcycle...I would take it early next week if someone is available.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

ok...i spoke with Doug at FBF on Tuesday and I mis-understood him.....they only have on MV tech right now working on MV's and they have a full schedule.....I mentioned to him that I was suppose to be going to Deals Gap May 4 - 5......GUESS WHAT HE DID? He fit me in the schedule for Monday so I can still make it to Deals Gap......

NOW THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!! THANKS FBF AND TO DOUG....U GUYS HAVE A NEW CUSTOMER!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 11:16 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to altoon
FWIW - I've been running around with melted fan blades for a while. It's had zero effect on how well the bike cools. My observations have been that the operating temperature is the same, and the bike still will exhibit thermal runaway when at a standstill.

Alvin's Ago will also runaway thermally, and his fans are 100% complete.

It appears that the small amount of fan blade material that's missing has had minimal effect on the temperature. Motor temps will start to climb at about the same rate regardless if the fan is 100% intact or not.

The bottom line for me is that I MUST keep the MV moving. Long stop-n-go traffic is a killer. Luckily, here in CA lane sharing is legal so I'm never really stuck for long.

If you're going to Deals Gap, you should be fine. Log the problem with FBF. Have them get the new fan. If it comes in before the trip, great. If not, no big deal, go on your trip, have a great time, ride the crap out of the bike, and have them do the replacement when you get back.

Just my $0.02.

Alex

Last edited by altoon; 04-26-2007 at 11:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode