eMoto and others - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

eMoto and others

emoto, I just emailed you an inquiry about a possible part for the exhaust area by the right rearset that, at least for me, is getting gunked up with boot black and melted boot laces. The "brass" (?) part protects the rear pipe, but does not extend forward enough to protect the forward pipe.

Does anyone know of a part to replace the stock piece, a part that extends more forward to protect both pipes? Also, how to clean the melted and hardened gunk off the pipe? See circled area in pic for the area I refer to, and the piece that could be replaced with a larger one to solve this problem. Thanks.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 PM

The heatshield is there to protect your leg from burning, Are those riding boots?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b; 04-25-2007 at 06:34 PM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:37 PM

+ a replacement part doesn't exist, it would have to be custom made. The only solution I can offer is to thermal wrap that part... it's not such a great idea.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by d-_-b Tamburini d-_-b; 04-24-2007 at 09:40 PM.
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

d-_-b for some reason my boot must rub up against the forward pipe and is getting well gunked up. If that heat shield piece was only 1.5" longer towards the front.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 10:13 PM

your not the only one....

on my big phillip island trip, it poured rain and we all stopped to put our wet weather gear on. I put on a slip over rain pants.
When i got home the pants were melted all over this part of the pipe
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:25 PM
Established Member

I have had similar problems on other bikes. when the bike is warm I used very fine 0000 (4-0) steel wool. it cleans right off with no scratching
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:33 PM
Established Member

Getting a pair of motorcycle-specific riding boots will more than likely prevent this from happening in the future.

FWIW.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 05:03 PM
Jason + Stanley Knife + D.I.Y = Casualty and

apparently neat acitone removes burn on stuff from exhausts i remeber reading about it on the sp1 site when i had mine
neat acitone is neat nail varnish remover you'll have to get it from a chemist i think
nail varnish remover is not strong enough on its own

try it and see
nothin ventured nothing gained
be nice to know if it works
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:01 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
my Sidi Vertebra's velcro closing flap was melted against the pipe. the flat metal/CF heat shields(on exhaust and foot rest) can get in between the velcro and open it up as you move around on the bike, a common issue, I have heard it happened to several MV riders .

My boot flap was really melted against it, half of the flap(1"x2") was gone, in black gooy mess on the pipe, here is how I dealt with it...after removing the heat shield and taking the bigger chunks off with pliers, I used green scrubing pads, steel wool, and finally Dremel with steel and brass wire brush bits... and it left a shiny spot on the pipe, then I used 00, 000, and 0000 steel wool to try to blend it in with the surrounding area. it becomes less noticable after a few heat cycles as the new bare area turns darker.

it was a real PITA!!

O D O N A T A

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 06:23 PM
MV Cellist

Send a message via Yahoo to odonata Send a message via Skype™ to odonata
Here are some pics of the boot and pipe. after some elbow grease as you can see it is almost not noticable.

if you look carefully, there is still a bit of the melted plastic around the eyelet where exhaust can retaining spring mounts... although I am a perfectionist, I wasn't about to waste another hour trying to clean it up!
Attached Images

O D O N A T A

Last edited by odonata; 04-25-2007 at 06:29 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode