Verym VERY high temp 1000S (267F) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Verym VERY high temp 1000S (267F)

Hi all,

So I went on my first extended ride this weekend, put 400 miles on the bike.

On the way back from PA to NY today, there was an area of road "construction" in PA where 2 lanes had to merge into 1. There was a 2.5 mile backup BEFORE the merge, and the ambient air temp was about 80 degrees. The traffic for the 2.5 miles was all stop/go, top speed about 7 mph with many MANY stops (i.e., crawling along).

The bike got VERY hot, and reached a high temp of 267F with fan running fine (and cooking me along the way). A very dreadful 2.5 miles.

Anyway, there was no place to pull off or exit, I was completely stuck in it. When we got going again (finally) the temp cooled down to 180-195F for the duration of the trip (which was the same temp on my ride to PA).

So, I hate that the bike got this hot (majority of time in traffic jam it was 250-257F). The bike ran normally the rest of the way home and spewed no coolant. There was no wind/draft in the traffic jam and we were often wedged between cement barriers.

Has anyone else experienced such high temperatures? Could any damage have occurred? Any thoughts at all? This just seems way too hot, even in traffic. Of course, it was 2.5 miles of <5mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:09 PM

Have you had a look to see if your fans have melted, I would be concerned those temps are very high and I think higher than the manual maxium. Something must be wrong for the temp to be so high even in those conditions.

There are tests you can do to see if you have damaged the engine...this thread might also be worth having a look at.

http://mvagusta.net/forum/showthread...ht=overheating
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:10 PM

New Site Garage
Not sure if it has the same plastic fan blades as the F4R, but I would check to make sure they have not melted any.
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

The bike will soon go in for its 600 mile service, I imagine this event is not "normal" and should be raised with them and addressed?
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:28 AM

sure do wish someone would make us some melt proof fanblades
(EMoto)

Italian outfit, Rubber, heat, grunting, and you fill the open hole for more?? What's not to love??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obmot
The bike will soon go in for its 600 mile service, I imagine this event is not "normal" and should be raised with them and addressed?
um.. they do get bloody hot.
They hate traffic, I usually turn mine off. I have been told getting rid of the cat helps.

I ride mine for 3 months and never get hot like that, but as soon as you hit traffic. Other makes have problems like this I'm told.

Engine Ice helps, but not much while standing still, what would help is:
- more flow from fans. (because you may notice the radiator handles the heat fine while moving)
- a water spray like on turbos (but as minime told me not so good cause tires get wet.)

+ 1 metal fans.... (and more through put while your at it)

For me its the only thing I don't like about the bike, people will pay to fix it.
I have eyed off bigger fans but not much room in there.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
you should cut off the bike at 235f..... mine has never ran that hot....it has hit 230 and i cut the switch, later on I checked the radiator fluid level and it was low.....then checked for air trapped in the system.
I have added engine ice....didn't help
added half water, half engine ice, with water wtter.... no help
I put the motul factory cool (red stuff) and it runs fine.....gets to 210f and stays
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Djester - unfortunately due to the traffic situation and configuration at the constructions zone, I was completely stuck in it no place to exit etc. It sucked.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
I have nightmares about that kind of situation....
Hope you get your problem sorted out.... I'm sure someone on this forum will have better advice than mine....
267*f......whew.... i still cant imagine.....
is it worth living up north??? traffic....and such..... jus kiddin
here in atlanta you are worried if you're going to get shot while sitting at the red-light.... had some erally wierd people (bums,crack-heads) come up to talk/look at my bike....
not fun at all.....
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:25 PM

Mine goes up to 235-240 F while sitting in traffic. I am guessing your coolant level is low. Better get it checked.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode