Evo2/3 HP/BHP - the definitive answer? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Evo2/3 HP/BHP - the definitive answer?

Can someone clear this up for me, the Evo2 and Evo3 F4 are marked as 137 Horsepower (mvagusta.com), but most magazines rate this bike as 106 Brake Horsepower, I thought BPH was the larger figure, as, to quote wikipedia "bhp is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 09:48 PM

MV is known to be a bit ambitious in their claimed figures

This gives the differences

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2006/03/mo...enna-2002.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvetica
Can someone clear this up for me, the Evo2 and Evo3 F4 are marked as 137 Horsepower (mvagusta.com), but most magazines rate this bike as 106 Brake Horsepower, I thought BPH was the larger figure, as, to quote wikipedia "bhp is the measure of an engine's horsepower without the loss in power caused by the gearbox, generator, differential, water pump, and other auxiliary components."
It's a question of semantics. Brake Horsepower (BHP) is an old term related to a specific type of dynamometer used to rate crankshaft horsepower. Nowadays it's used to mean horsepower. Horsepower is a calculated value - (torque x RPM)/5252.

In the old days we had Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) horsepower which was badly abused by the US auto manufacturers. They would would come up with SAE BHP figures that were measured at the crank without any parasitic accesories such as water pumps, alternators, fans etc. In 1972 the concept of SAE Net Horsepower came about which included the parasitic accesories.

Today, with the convenience of readily accessible (and affordable) chassis dynos, we look at real world rear wheel horsepower (but still refer to it as BHP). I don't know if that answers the question, but it's an old timers history lesson as I remember it.
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 05:32 AM

I think tests of the first F4 750s were getting about 106 at the wheel from a stated 126 bhp at the crank. So the Evos which had about another 10 at the crank would probably be putting out 110+ at the wheel.

Si
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah there was an article about buying used F4s for around 6000 in a recent(ish) copy of "superbike" magazine I think. They reckon the first model was just a bit shy of the latest GSXR 750 at the time and compare it to a very fit 600. My brother has a very fit zx6-RR which is off its nuts so i think 1999-2002 F4s must be good. However I have an Evo 2 and its noticeably stronger than the Kwacker. I read the same EVO2 figure of 136-137hp in a few places, which according to superbike magazine makes for a different animal. they also claim race cans and a chip can add up to 7hp. This makes sense to me - an Evo 2with sil motor pipes and chip like mine was on ebay once claiming a dyno measured 141hp. I'd love to know if that's true. Also, on this forum somewhere i've read that the difference between power measured at the crank and rear wheel hp is about -15% for an F4. If so, 126 at the crank would be 107 at the wheel and 137 at the crank would be 116 at the wheel.

IMPORTANT WARNING; MY MATHS IS POOR- YOU SHOULD CHECK MY ANSWER BEFORE USING IT AT THE PUB!!!!!!!!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 AM
http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2006/03/m...senna-2002.html

Above link posted by d-_-b Tamburini is very good. Also see these below:

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...20Evo%2003.htm

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagu...dels_past.html.

And while i'm here, can someone please tell me how to select a a quote from another person's post and show it in a box to respond - i haven't figured that out yet!! Cheers, Richard.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 10:58 AM
The Dude

Push the "Quote" button to start.

Then delete bits that are not relevent.

Also, you can copy paste on the "Post Reply", since it puts the thread below it. Then select the bit that is copy paste, and push the "Quote" icon (next to the others for pics and links).

hope this helps.... ?

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Smile

Some interesting reading here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoLunch
Push the "Quote" button to start.

Then delete bits that are not relevent.

Also, you can copy paste on the "Post Reply", since it puts the thread below it. Then select the bit that is copy paste, and push the "Quote" icon (next to the others for pics and links).

hope this helps.... ?
Ah... I see! I was being soooo blind! Thanks very much!!!!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007, 11:48 AM
wikipedia even has a section describing the F4!

another useful one is this because a lot of manufacturers now quote ps instead of horsepower:

http://www.statman.info/conversions/power.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode