New 2012 F4r owner...would like input. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

New 2012 F4r owner...would like input.

Hey guys. Just picked up a 2012 f4r with 670 miles on it. I love it. A couple of questions though. I notice the bike has some lag in the fueling. Is this caused by the ecu for break in purpose? If so how do I derestrict the bike for full power?

Also noticed that the sport mode will light up but does not stick. Could this also be due to the break in period?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Established Member

I also own a 2012 F4r. The lag in the fueling could be because Sport mode is off, however Ive read a lot of people prefer sport mode off. It is a little confusing to get it to stick though. You have to start the bike and then hold the start button for a few seconds wait for sport mode to appear and then let go and then press it again. At least thats how I got it on and havent messed with it again. I really like the throttle response on sport mode, even though its sketchy and very uncomfortable. If you get an open road in front of you after a red light it gets pretty intense.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 10:29 AM

There's a reason why restrictions are put in place for the break-in period, why would you want to push the engine and have it result in costly maintenance and problems in the long term?

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 11:04 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via AIM to Ryan Stewart
Mine stopped after the first couple hundred miles (had oil changes at time intervals instead of distance due to being idle for years).
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:47 PM

New Site Garage
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4_Toronto View Post
There's a reason why restrictions are put in place for the break-in period, why would you want to push the engine and have it result in costly maintenance and problems in the long term?
Nonsence ! ? Care to share ?

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Last edited by Donsy; 02-17-2014 at 01:49 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 01:49 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endgame View Post
Hey guys. Just picked up a 2012 f4r with 670 miles on it. I love it. A couple of questions though. I notice the bike has some lag in the fueling. Is this caused by the ecu for break in purpose? If so how do I derestrict the bike for full power?

Also noticed that the sport mode will light up but does not stick. Could this also be due to the break in period?
Typical bad MV fuelling mate, welcome to the forum, have you had the latest fuelling maps done by the dealer?

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Nonsence ! ? Care to share ?
Since you claim it be nonsense, why don't you educate me instead. Always open to learning new things from experts.

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:32 PM
Established Member

The whole break in period thing has been done to death. I agree with donsy though that modern 4 stroke engines should be broken in the moto man method. I asked the head mechanic at the mv dealership this when i bought them bike and he told me the same thing, that they make every engine run through all the rpms including redline before they ever assemble them on the bikes. I was told to never baby the bike.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:41 PM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4_Toronto View Post
Since you claim it be nonsense, why don't you educate me instead. Always open to learning new things from experts.

Three things, no-one claimed to be an expert but you had a good go anyway , I just thought I'd have a go also.

Then, it sounds like the gent either messed with his mapping and is obviously still struggling with it, so that could be his problem, I can't find the easy dash instructions for the R, but the F4 one I have might help, maybe some of the other guys will chip in to help the guy with his dash set-up.

Lastly, read this, he's an real expert - http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAZCADE View Post
The whole break in period thing has been done to death. I agree with donsy though that modern 4 stroke engines should be broken in the moto man method. I asked the head mechanic at the mv dealership this when i bought them bike and he told me the same thing, that they make every engine run through all the rpms including redline before they ever assemble them on the bikes. I was told to never baby the bike.
Yup
Attached Images

Dons Nel
PayPal :

eMial:

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 09:51 PM

Well, you did state that what I said was "Nonsense" and therefore it was quite clear that you know more than me, which I think is very possible.

Now...I have no idea who Pat McGivern is but he does need to get a new web site designer to bring him out of the early 90s. With that being said, I cannot deny his engine break-in logic but even he's unsure of why engine manufacturers still require a break-in period for new vehicles. Is it warranty related or some other reason, who knows, might just be old habits that no one wants to change. I think it would give manufacturers an easy out if you did not follow optimal usage instructions and tried telling them that Pat McGivern said it did not matter.

Anyways...this Pat McGivern guy has some interesting reading material so as stated earlier, always open to learning something new

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsy View Post
Three things, no-one claimed to be an expert but
you had a good go anyway , I just thought I'd have a go also.

Then, it sounds like the gent either messed with his mapping and is obviously still struggling with it, so that could be his problem, I can't find the easy dash instructions for the R, but the F4 one I have might help, maybe some of the other guys will chip in to help the guy with his dash set-up.

M.O. from T.O.
2011 F4
2004 Yamaha R6
2007 Porsche 997.1 C2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode