MV 312R Test - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
MV 312R Test

I just got the latest motorcycle news magazine down here and it has a test on the 312. It is quoted as the fastest production sportbike available to date.

It is written by Alan Cathcart so I am sure you will all get the same article in your local magazines.
In short it gets an excellent report, with Cathcart saying it is extremely well sorted and obscenely fast.
Apparantley the new ero3 emissions laws is playing havoc with bikes (mainly in mid range) and MV has invested heavily to overcome this (and in their words to get a jump on the japanese.). Most of the changes are in the head, valves, ports, timing and injection etc and Cathcart calls it a "minor miracle in engine development".

Andrea Goggi is interviewed and confirms that MV will be going SBK next year and the team will be managed by Carl Fogarty, but no mention of riders. The FBF bikes and others racing this year are essentialy 312 road bike test mules. The SBK bike will debut to the world in June, and will most likely have the variable intakes etc. The 312 is a model to allow them to go racing at team level this year but still have a realistic price tag. The race bike homolgation model won't, so expect it to be more expensive.

They quote that power is 134kw (180hp) at 12,400rpm but redline is 13,500. In race trim it can rev to 15,000 rpm where more power is available.
It has a healthy 115Nm of torque at 10,000 rpm and Catchcart reports it is ultra smooth and meaty in it's delivery.With no glitches whatsover.
Weight is quoted at 192Kg dry and has items such as magnesium cam covers but in an interview with Goggi he says the weights quoted by the rivals is bullshit and that in terms of true power to weight ratios "the pretend weights are over" when we go racing.

Cathcart says the engine slipper clutch is now perfect and is a real bonus and the new suspension has a new shock with an added check valve for high speed rebound to do away with any rear wheel chatter when diving into corners hard etc. He gives glowing praise to the chasis and handling.

He sumarises by calling this the New Benchmark In the Superbike Category.

In short a great write up and a good glimpse into what is coming. I must say after reading it, this bike has now shot to the top of my list.

MVA Sydney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Wow, thanks for the post, thats a lot of information that is good to know!

Now, how can i get a copy of that!
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 01:57 AM

Send a message via AIM to Vatoloco
Where ever "Foggy" is at Im there Loyal Till the end!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 02:17 AM Thread Starter

Admin, it is Australian Motorcycle News if you search that you should find it in Australian sites. If not I could scan and post if you want. Just let me know your preference.

MVA Sydney
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:03 AM

Well, what Alan Cathcart doesn't know about Italian motorcycles isn't worth knowing. I would much rather take note of Alan's comments then some hack from MCN. I have always found Alan's style of journalism informative and knowledgable I still read his moto Italia book which is extremely interesting. Alan seems to keep his finger on the pulse of the Italian motorcycle industry and is very well respected from MV to Ducati etc. Keep up the good work Alan!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:32 AM Thread Starter

I agree Alan Cathcart would be about top of the journo's world wide. I allways like and respect his articles.

MVA Sydney
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:37 AM

Weight is quoted at 192Kg dry and has items such as magnesium cam covers but in an interview with Goggi he says the weights quoted by the rivals is bullshit and that in terms of true power to weight ratios "the pretend weights are over" when we go racing.

MCN did a true weight thing a couple of years ago, all the top 1000 sportsbikes + a Ducati 749, the Duke was within 1kg of claimed weight, the others within 20ish kg's even when totally dry, including oil/fuel/battery,brake fluid/fork oil etc, the jap manufacturers then claimed 'manufacturing tolerances' MCN have NEVER refered to the test again, I wonder why? and no more test bikes?

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 03:44 AM

Now I'm really concerned, anything that Foggy touches usually turns to shite. I hope I am absolutely wrong for MV's sake. I would love to see them kick arse.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 04:20 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4SR
Now I'm really concerned, anything that Foggy touches usually turns to shite. I hope I am absolutely wrong for MV's sake. I would love to see them kick arse.
I never really liked the guy but it's hard to ignore his single minded attitude. The Petronas project was beyond him as it also needed a technical guru. If this is true, I hope MV provide the bike required and the team sign the right riders - Leon Camier from British Superbikes would be a good start.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007, 04:25 AM

As well as AMCN doing a test on the 312, another Australian publication, Two Wheels, also has one. Author is Roland Brown.

And for the fans of the older MVs, the same issue of AMCN has another Alan Cathcart story featuring the ex-John Surtees 1957 500/4 GP bike. Value of the bike upwards of $400,000 AUD (and some thought the CC was expensive).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode