312 Decision... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

312 Decision...

First, I'm very happy to be a new member of this forum and look forward to meeting and riding with new friends.

I have an opportunity to make a very good deal on the new 312; I've seen it and sat on it but haven't turned the key yet. I think this bike is the cure for anyone's need for speed. I'm coming from BMW sport touring K bikes and have no experience on a pure sport bike like the F4, I will keep my K. After lurking through the site for a few days I'm a little concerned about the F4 being somewhat dated and the seemingly large supply of new bikes for sale by dealers that may lead to lower values down the road. I realize there's a huge adjustment to be made in comfort but the quality of the F4 more than compensates and this bike seems to have an ageless Itallian beauty. So, what is the wisdom of the board... are my fears in vain? Will a smile be permanently placed on my face? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:50 PM

Firstly welcome Julian, an exciting time awaits you given this is to be your first toe in the water in sports bike riding!
Your point about the F4 being dated is true only in the sense that it has remained unchanged for some years, however the reason for this is really self evident in that it really is a timeless design (this being true for so many other classical design icons)
Yes, there have been some slight changes to the componentry over the years, however the shape and contours remain as breathtaking now as when it were launched at the Milan show September 16th 1997.
You will love everything about MV ownership, and its probably started for you when you sat on the 312, just wait until you ride it....the smile never fades.

Last edited by agusta01; 04-14-2007 at 08:53 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 08:52 PM

Have you even test rode an F41000 yet? I have ridden many sportbikes including R1's, Gixxers, 999's, and the MV1000, and nothing, I mean NOTHING comes anywhere close to that Ferrari aided designed motor. Not to mention that Tamburini can build a chassis that works, boy does that thing rail. 2 words for you... GET IT! You wont be sorry, but its no sport tourer so good thing that you're going to keep the Beamer, because if its a sport tourer that you're looking for then I would say look for another bike, but if its all out performance that you want...you found it. Its not a dated bike, the aesthetic design might be considered to be due for a style upgrade by some (I dont personally hold that opinion, just look at my signature) but you would'nt call the 916 a dated design, or a Shelby Cobra dated would you? No way, its a classic. Classics arent dated, they're timeless. The only reason why you see alot of leftover F4's is because not everyone can afford to spend $20K on a motorcycle. Trust me, if they could they would all be sold. That's my 2 cents worth!

Last edited by F4R312; 04-14-2007 at 09:07 PM.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007, 09:17 PM

Welcome, and I know that you will love the bike.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 02:28 AM

Welcome Julian.
To onw an MV Agusta you:
> enter in a familly
> are parts of the history
> own a timeless beauty
> choose quality
> ride on a high performance machine
but.... .... you will feel a strange feeling in your stomach.
It is normal, you own an MV Agusta !
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 06:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by desmolight
Welcome Julian.
To onw an MV Agusta you:
> enter in a familly
> are parts of the history
> own a timeless beauty
> choose quality
> ride on a high performance machine
but.... .... you will feel a strange feeling in your stomach.
It is normal, you own an MV Agusta !
You will also have a big hole in ur pocket.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:03 AM

Descriptions that often get applied to the F4 are: old and dated. You have to consider what they mean, in what context and how they are applicable. Yes, the basic chassis design is now nearly a decade old. That makes it "dated", but does that make it old? In my opinion the styling looks as fresh when put against the competition as it did 8 years ago. Then consider that though a new 312 might *look* the same as a 2000 F4 750, its engine has undergone successive revisions to deliver the 180 bhp 1000cc brute that lies within the frame today, which is the equal of anything from Japan. Couple with that the newer forks, lighter wheels and radial caliper brakes, what are you left with? The only thing that's "old" about it is the aethetics. And its looks are timeless. I think MV would struggle to surpass it aesthetically, (which is perhaps why they haven't tried.) The only criticisms people tend to throw at them are: it's old, and it's heavy. Well, heavy it is in comparison to a Japanese litre sportsbike, but with that weight comes sure-footedness, mechanical and structural resilience, and the feeling that it's a substantial motor-vehicle, not just a throwaway track queen. With the 312 you'd be getting a cutting edge motor, on high-spec modern running gear, in a classic package.

Si
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 09:17 AM

Julian,

You can expect this design to be around awhile. YEARS!

All used vehicals depreciate. So what...

I too came from a K1200 GT, 1150RT, R100RS...Once you get the MV, the BMW will sit idle alot. Eventually , you will sell that pig for a loss...sad but true. So what...

The MV will leave a smile on your face, and no doubt the roads open to you will be eaten up by the 312. Go for it...I promise you will NOT regret your decision.

, Peter
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:34 PM

I cannot speak for the F4 but I do have a Brutale 910R and an 04R1. The R1 is an amazing bike and I have gone very fast on it, on the street and on the track but it is the MV that gives me butterflies and can't wait to go riding. There is just something about the MV that makes me want to ride and I have been riding high performance bikes for 28 plus years. You will never regret owning an MV.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-15-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
Descriptions that often get applied to the F4 are: old and dated. You have to consider what they mean, in what context and how they are applicable. Yes, the basic chassis design is now nearly a decade old. That makes it "dated", but does that make it old? In my opinion the styling looks as fresh when put against the competition as it did 8 years ago. Then consider that though a new 312 might *look* the same as a 2000 F4 750, its engine has undergone successive revisions to deliver the 180 bhp 1000cc brute that lies within the frame today, which is the equal of anything from Japan. Couple with that the newer forks, lighter wheels and radial caliper brakes, what are you left with? The only thing that's "old" about it is the aethetics. And its looks are timeless. I think MV would struggle to surpass it aesthetically, (which is perhaps why they haven't tried.) The only criticisms people tend to throw at them are: it's old, and it's heavy. Well, heavy it is in comparison to a Japanese litre sportsbike, but with that weight comes sure-footedness, mechanical and structural resilience, and the feeling that it's a substantial motor-vehicle, not just a throwaway track queen. With the 312 you'd be getting a cutting edge motor, on high-spec modern running gear, in a classic package.

Si
I gotta agree with this quote. Like the cat said, the chassis might be a 10 year old design, but do the laws of physics change?? No they dont! What worked brilliantly ten years ago will work brilliantly today, and MV has done a fine job of keeping the motor up to date with all the others. And extra weight can always be shed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode