312 v R1 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

312 v R1

MCN carried a test of the 312 against the latest R1 today.

I think they picked the wrong track, namely Mallory Park, as too twisty so the 312 lost out with a lap of 1:00.97 against the 1:00.84 of the R1.

What they did say in the MV's favour was that it could do that time lap after lap whereas the R1 really struggled in achieving the lap it did.

The road test was more of what they said last week so I haven't the heart to post it, as been too many negatives lately!

They did do some top speed runs at Bruntingthorpe but picked a pretty windy day so the results were unimpressive...175.09mph for the MV against 172.49 for the R1, both into a strong headwind.

They have previously had 182.6 out of the R1 on a still day, so add on 3mph difference for the MV and they still didn't reckon they could get the 193mph.

Despite the negatives, one of the testers still rated the MV as his dream bike and got a real buzz each time he opened his garage door.....

Well, we can all relate to that one....and we don't have to hand ours back!!!
Yahboosucks!!!!!
Tont

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:21 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
I'm sure the R1 riders just stayed in first or second gears.... the R1's have very tall first and second gears... I hate starting off in 1st on a R1....I feel like I'm having to clutch it too much...like the first time learning to drive a 5-speed. With the MV I can just ease out on the clutch and the bike will do the rest. Should be easier when I get my new sprockets and chain installed.
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 09:34 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
there is a video made of the test as well
in the end....
they liked the 312R.... but no more than any R1 or K7, costing 1/2 the price

let's face it:

1. MV still makes the sexiest sportbike on earth.... but, it is LONG IN THE TOOTH.... and, needs replacing to keep up with the pace of the market

2. the 1098 has trumped a lot of cache from the F4... even if it isn't 1/2 the bike...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:11 AM

Agree with spalding heartily. The Agusta is groin-tingly good looking but it is getting old...and there is too much hype around it. I have yet to see a report showing it did 193 mph. Even at the salt flats test the Agusta went 185. I dont care much for top speed but when I am paying 30k for a bike, it better do what it claims to deliver.
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 10:55 AM

well firstly, i don't think MV is trying to keep up with the pace of the market aesthetically. they are however trying to outdo the competition performance wise. they consider themselves to be makers of niche bikes but want to be earning of that 37 championship winning heritage.

as i've stated before, before the f41000 came out, i never saw ANY press on the MV. it was after the 1000 release and all the power the bike had that the press jumped on it. and that's when the comparo hammers came out. everyone expects that a bike that cost 2x as much as the competition will outperform it 2x. but that's beyond possibility. funny how at the end of every article, it still remains most coveted even by those who give it the shorter marks.

i think long in the tooth is relative. for those who've been lusting after an MV for 10 years and can finally get a new one, i don't think there unhappy that it looks unchanged from it's original posters. wonder how many '98 R1 posters are still up on the wall. or are even in orignal owners garages for that matter. i think modern day superbikes are incredible feats on their own. and to each their own on the bike THEY consider BEST...or best for the money at that time.

and i disagree that the 1098 has trumped a lot of chache from the f4. i think it's something new and the majority of duc owners and want to be duc owners are glad they don't have to deal with such an ugly bike anymore. bet they don't care what the mags say either about it getting whooped all over the place and still costs more than JAPAN, INC. but the duc faithful are awaiting bigger things. all i say is watch out for aprilia.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Smile

0.13 of a second, it's hardly worth writing home about. We all know you can get a much cheaper (Japanese) litre bike than the MV which will turn in much the same or marginally better (in this case) performance. Horses for courses but I won't be selling my F4 to get the latest R1, however much faster it is around specific racetracks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:13 AM

The 1098 and F4 are niche bikes...they are similar as they are dissimilar. twin vs 4...4 will always win. Its just a matter of preference. Ducati is touting their bikes as the best twins in the world. Difference is in bike reviews they are reviewing a twin vs all 4 cylinders...so the fact that it is right up there is a feat in itself. Best vtwin? Ducati no questions asked. Best 4 cylinder? MV Agusta? I dont think so.
post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:26 AM

well, what do you think is the best 4 cyl? again that will probably be subjective as each motor has different target characteristics...torque curve vs. horsepower curve. topend vs. midrange. sounds like it comes down to personal preference again. but i will say this, depending on how you classify "best"....the MV motor has been under far less production evolution than all the others...save the zx-10. so you could argue that it's been the better motor all along since it is STILL up at the top in performance will relatively less change. but again...that's one type of arguement.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:31 AM
whatever it is ... i dont trust MCN report...... one hell of a weird report with too much favourism
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by style_one
well, what do you think is the best 4 cyl? again that will probably be subjective as each motor has different target characteristics...torque curve vs. horsepower curve. topend vs. midrange. sounds like it comes down to personal preference again. but i will say this, depending on how you classify "best"....the MV motor has been under far less production evolution than all the others...save the zx-10. so you could argue that it's been the better motor all along since it is STILL up at the top in performance will relatively less change. but again...that's one type of arguement.
Great point. Well said.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode