Hello - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Hello

Hi

I have just bought a completely standard 2006 F4 1000 (yesterday). I've ridden twins (Ducati & Aprilia) on the road since 1993 but couldn't resit an MV. I have done almost no research and it was cheap and it has little history! It's only covered 6500 miles and the motor is devoid of nasty noises.

I've checked the rear hub bearings but otherwise it reminds me of a fast (with rubbish fuelling) version of mid '90s Ducatis - looks great, fairing pannels fit badly, thin paint, wobbly mirrors, the brakes aren't great and a comedy sidestand. The noise is however lovely (and I'll need to make it a bit louder).

It's also got a 120/70 Sportmax on the front to "match" the new Diablo Rosso on the back! I'll swap this for a Supercorsa scrub as I use these on my trackday fireblade on my F400 race bike.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Also can anyone recommend a uk srevice agent/dealer. I live near Cambridge and was thinking of BSD who have looked after my 4 stroke 4 cylinder bikes in the past.

Thanks

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 PM
Big Randaddy

Welcome Steve. I hope you enjoy your time here. We've got really knowledgeable members and a couple of jokers as well.

Where are you from?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Welcome Steve. I hope you enjoy your time here. We've got really knowledgeable members and a couple of jokers as well.

Where are you from?
I believe he said the UK Cambridge, unless uk is a word
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:11 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the forum Steve.
Pretty sure some of the UK guys will hop onboard to help you out with a dealer, I only know about X-Bikes, GotoJo will help you out there.

If it's an 06 I assume it's and F4 1000S, brakes are great but non-radial calipers need to get regular servicing to prevent pistons sticking in calipers.

Fairing panel fit is usually great on the OEM panel and paint quality was great on the S modles, you sure you don't have replacement parts on there.

Good luck and enjoy.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 07:19 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveltrap View Post
Hi

I have just bought a completely standard 2006 F4 1000 (yesterday). I've ridden twins (Ducati & Aprilia) on the road since 1993 but couldn't resit an MV. I have done almost no research and it was cheap and it has little history! It's only covered 6500 miles and the motor is devoid of nasty noises.

I've checked the rear hub bearings but otherwise it reminds me of a fast (with rubbish fuelling) version of mid '90s Ducatis - looks great, fairing pannels fit badly, thin paint, wobbly mirrors, the brakes aren't great and a comedy sidestand. The noise is however lovely (and I'll need to make it a bit louder).

It's also got a 120/70 Sportmax on the front to "match" the new Diablo Rosso on the back! I'll swap this for a Supercorsa scrub as I use these on my trackday fireblade on my F400 race bike.

Anything I should be looking out for?

Also can anyone recommend a uk srevice agent/dealer. I live near Cambridge and was thinking of BSD who have looked after my 4 stroke 4 cylinder bikes in the past.

Thanks

Steve
Welcome and congrats on the purchase! You'll love it.

Where are you near Cambridge? There's an MV and KTM dealer up in Norwich. Dave Barkshire, I believe. They're pretty good guys from the few times I went up there to chat. I test rode a 2010 F4 that they had as a demo bike as well. Also, X-Bikes Racing is out in Wisbech, not too far of a drive and Chris is an MV guru and all around good guy.

fairing pannels fit badly, thin paint, wobbly mirrors, the brakes aren't great and a comedy sidestand. This bit, I'm not too sure about. Panels fit badly? Thin paint? Wobbly mirrors? Bad brakes? Doesn't sound right to me. Fit and finish of an MV is quite superb. You should upload some pics of your new steed so maybe we can help you get these issues sorted.

Cheers!

If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking. - George S. Patton
2008 MV F4 312R -- Luna (SOLD)

2016 MV Turismo Veloce 800 -- Sol (SOLD)
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveltrap View Post
I live near Cambridge......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randarosa View Post
Where are you from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by spypyp View Post
I believe he said the UK Cambridge, unless uk is a word

Duuuuh......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 PM

New Site Garage
Pics
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 10:37 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
Welcome to the forum Steve.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 PM

Welcome Steve. If you use the search function on the top right you will also get some usefull info on whatever issue you want help with. Enjoy yr new tool.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:45 AM

Steve,

Forza Italia at Silverstone are good, but there are a few more closer to you as has already been mentioned.

Take it to somebody who deals with MVs regularly, failing that you service it yourself as there are loads of how-tos in the servicing section.

The bad bits you mention sound like the previous user has abused it rather than loved it.

Dan

The power one person holds is not determined by the individual but by the audience who recieves them.

Current stable:
MV Agusta F4 750 Senna 106/300
Triumph Street Triple

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode