Newbie - which F4 should I buy?? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Newbie - which F4 should I buy??

Hello all, thanks for having me onboard!

I'm planning on purchasing my first MV Agusta. This will be the 34th bike I've owned, starting with RD250's, RGV's, moving through the Jap sports bikes (lots of R1's and ZX10s) then on to the exotica. I've had Aprilia RSVs, an RSV Factory (loved that bike, just not enough grunt, but the build quality and forged Oz wheels were gorgeous) and then I started on the sports nakeds. My Aprilia Tuono Mk 2 was awesome and very useable, and now I'm on a single seater KTM Super Duke R. Once I fixed the snatchy fuelling with Yoshi cans, an airbox and tuneECU it became an awesome, awesome wheelie bike with a fair turn of speed to go with it.

But I've decided I need something beautiful again, and there aren't many bikes more beautiful than an F4 MV!

So to my dilemma - which one to get? I'm not a millionaire and I live in Australia, where bikes are massively overpriced anyway, so I'm limiting myself to two - an 07/08 312R or a 2011 F4 998. I've ridden the 312R and was impressed, especially with the amount of carbon fibre on it - gorgeous! The fuelling was a bit fluffy down low but compared to a big v twin it's nothing I can't handle. It did feel heavy though, and the pegs! How bloody high are they?? I'm 6'2, 99 kg with longish legs and I really noticed the height of the pegs.

The 998 is interstate - I'd pretty much be flying there to buy it sight unseen. Do they have more or less leg room than the 312R? What's their fuelling and power like in comparison? I've read the traction control isn't as good as that of the S1000R or Aprilia APRC - is it still effective on track? Does the F4 have less bling carbon? Is it lighter to steer?

I'm planning on tracking this bike and I spend a lot of time in the hills, so I'm after good handling, brakes and agility.

The 998 is $3000 more expensive. I love the silver and red, the 312 is dark grey which also looks amazing - which one is the best?? I'm leaning towards the 998 (if I can cough up the extra $$$) just because its newer and apparently handles better...

Any advice would be much appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:31 PM

New Site Garage
Hi Tim. Welcome to the forum, and hope you do end up with an MV in the stable.
First you need to get the terminology's of the various MV's correct.

Broken down the F4's fall into two main groups, pre-Y10 and Y10+. If you say you rode a 312R, it's a pre Y10, it's also a 998 motor, but a different motor to the Y10+ bikes.

The 312R also came standard with no carbon fibre parts, so all carbon you saw must have been added on. 08/09 312RR's had a 1078 motor, absolute beast, I wish I had one.

In Y10 or 2010 MV brought out the new generation F4, 998 motor.
Almost two years later came the F4R with a new short stroke motor and the F4RR followed ... etc.

312R is a great bike, rearset's on them are adjustable, but many aftermarket options are available form forum vendors in the "Market Place" section.

There is an aftermarket ECU available from Microtec via X-Bikes in the UK, with great fuelling and ignition options, for both bikes you are looking at.

It's a big question you're asking as to which is better, the differences are vast, and for various reasons, best to ride both before you buy.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Don. I was going through the gallery after I wrote that post and saw your bike there - so you race and ride the same bike?
Thanks for the tips re model designations. I'd like to ride both before I buy, but having them interstate is problematic...
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-01-2014, 10:52 PM

New Site Garage
I don't ride on the road anymore, too dangerous for me and my right wrist. I race a F4 1000R, I have 2, the second one is semi spare parts.
Have a look through this list, it's not accurate to the "T", but close enough to help you hopefully.
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/bikes/mv%20agusta.htm

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 05:05 PM

PM sent
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 06:10 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedfiend41 View Post
I'm not a millionaire and I live in Australia......

Any advice would be much appreciated!
I can't help you with the Australia part.......but if you buy a Brutale, you'll be on your way to being a millionaire.

And the chicks'll dig it too!

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:11 PM

New Site Garage
Randy it goes without saying that chicks will love a girls bike.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 12:58 AM

New Site Garage
I think before you make a decision go look at a 312RR with the 1078 motor. As donsy said its a beast. And there isnt much out there if any that would be as fast if your deciding to go on the track. Parts a plentiful mow for the pre 10 model and prices are much more reasonable. If you ever crash you can get back on the road quick and also do the majority of the work as there easy to work on as spiro and my good friend scotty have showed me cause im nonmechanic at all.

But in the end of the day get on all 3 see for yourself and go with what your heart desires and pockets will let you or wife lol

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode