Another Stupid Question - Best Tires - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Another Stupid Question - Best Tires

I'm the fella with a brand new '05 F4-1000s and I'm curious if there are clear winners (or losers) in the battle for the best street tire for this great bike. Although I like the OEM Michelin Pilot Powers well enough, lots of new tech tires have come out in the last year or so.

Thoughts?

'05 FJR 1300
'05 F4S "Custom"

'04 Brutale
'08 Suzuki DR650
'74 RD350 Restoration Project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 09:23 PM

for me Mich has the best tires
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-10-2007, 11:00 PM

Morgan, my S had the pilots and I thought they were great, Im certainly not at a 'expert' rider level, however the Senna came with the Pirelli SuperCorse Pros as stock, and I feel more confident in their capability (in the dry). They just seem to provide more feedback.
They do seem to be waring a bit more quickly though.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta01
Morgan, my S had the pilots and I thought they were great, Im certainly not at a 'expert' rider level, however the Senna came with the Pirelli SuperCorse Pros as stock, and I feel more confident in their capability (in the dry). They just seem to provide more feedback.
so far i think mich has produce the best tires in wet n dry situation and they have never failed me
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:27 AM

My R came with the Pirelli SuperCorse and I'll back up comment above that they are one of the most confidence inspiring tyre around. I would however qualify this in that they take time to warm up in cold weather and are pretty scary in the wet due to lack of tread..it depends on what climate you live in and whether you ride in all weather. If you are more track orientated the Pirelli's are faultless.
Tont

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutt4913
My R came with the Pirelli SuperCorse and I'll back up comment above that they are one of the most confidence inspiring tyre around. I would however qualify this in that they take time to warm up in cold weather and are pretty scary in the wet due to lack of tread..it depends on what climate you live in and whether you ride in all weather. If you are more track orientated the Pirelli's are faultless.
Tont
you are absolutely ride. i have a scary incident with pirelli on a wet surface.

It does not at all provide that grip that you want.

My back tire wobble at cornering in wet surface.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 04:06 AM

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
There is a previous post on this. I have an S with Pilot Powers and for the road they are hard to beat.
For the track you could go with the Pirelli's as mentioned or the new Michelion Pilot Race. I will be trying these when the Pilots wear out as I am doing some track days on mine.

MVA Sydney
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agusta01
and these are the road version of the tyre which many apparently believe are a poor substitute in both feel and grip (even for road use) in comparison to the race version of the tyre...I look forward to hear your feedback if you upgrade.

Michelin have also just recently released the 2CT here which are the power race compound (also dual compound...softer edges) which I'll be throwing on my bike shortly.

It was a tough call over trying the pirellis but the 2CTs' took so long to arrive here and with rain now just around the corner, the 2CT it is.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 07:16 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

I think we should continue to update this thread as we all try new tires this spring and summer. It seems the flavor of the year is multi-compound tires. Michelin has the 2CT Pilot Powers. Pirelli has a new multi-compound tire too... the Diablo Corsa III.

I have a set of those I was going to put on my K1200S, but they might be interesting on the MV, too. The K1200S also came with the pilot powers as OEM tires.

I believe most of the other mfrs have new tires out now too, but I'm not familiar with them.

P.S. I'M MOGAN (aka Mogan David). MORGAN IS A DIFFERENT MEMBER!

'05 FJR 1300
'05 F4S "Custom"

'04 Brutale
'08 Suzuki DR650
'74 RD350 Restoration Project
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-11-2007, 08:03 AM

Interesting thread. I would have to vote for Michelins for everyday use....but if you are gonna be riding fast and only in the dry I think the Pirellis may be the right way to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode