1ST Track Impressions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to MVASyd
1ST Track Impressions

Ok I just finished my first "shakedown test" on the track with my F4 1000S.
It was track a day at Sydney's Oran Park which is curvey, up hill down hill kind of track. A smaller bike that is agile (like an R6 is probably ideal.)

Ok, so I am comig off my CBR1000RR race bike, and R6 track bike, and my friends bike is an AGO, he is coming off a new R6 track bike.

We both gave up racing this year, and decided to get the most out of our "road bikes", by investing in some track fairings etc and using them on ride days. This was our first outing.

First my impressions. Lets see, I love my MV as a road bike so was interested to see how I would adapt on the track after yaers of Japanese race bikes. Well first session I was totally crap, I was trying to ride it like an R6 and it was not happening for me. Same for my mate.

Second session slightly better but still not getting my head arpound it. But boy, do they have power.I could blast past anything on the staright, even K7's but blew it in the corners.

Third session we decided to go out and really grab them and throw them around, it all started to click. It started to feel like my old 748 race bike. Very solid, planted and really powerfull. Yes I had made the right decision...phew.

Ok so what is needed now, is some real good track tyres. It was a cold day and the Pilots were not cutting it. My mate is going to steepen the head angle to get more agility in the front end, I will play with ride height and suspension.

Once we started looking at what each of us needed to do, you can really start to appreciate the design and adjustability.

The feel, the sound the power is simply awesome. Just the feel of the gearbox clutch etc is so precise, and the sound when you are on song changing down for corners, is very GP like. Gorgeous. The brakes don't feel as powerfull as the Honda or R1 (If you have an R than this won't apply.) Not bad though, so a new set of pads should help that.
I feel I am way ahead of where I was with my Honda when I had my first outing.

What was priceless though was the continual stream of guys (and gals) coming down to chat, have a look, take pictures and ogle. It was great having a good talk with those people.

We were sharing the day with guys on the new R1, GSK and CBR and I can tell you they were all very impressed. There were no 1098's there but a few 999 and 749's, but once you hit a straight it is goodbye.
I did not notice any weight penalty, but once you get used to the handling it is sublime, and this was on road tyres and road suspension settings.

I can't wait for the next one, it may not be the latest Jap machine, but now I have the best of both worlds. If you have an F4 and are thinking of doing a few track days, do. You won't regret it.

Cheers.
Attached Images

MVA Sydney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 05:33 AM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
great write-up
i'm so very happy you took the time to post all of this

i'll hope you'll update this thread again

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVASyd
It started to feel like my old 748 race bike. Very solid, planted and really powerfull. Yes I had made the right decision...phew..
The terms "748" and "really powerfull" don't go together at all
Brakes: HH sintered front pads will help .....
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Established Member

Thanks for the post. I'd be interested in how you setup the bikes. I would agree with you that the handling is impressive regardless of the weight.

The bike gives me a lot of confidence on twisty roads. It feels planted and solid when cranked over ... but what I like the most is the confidence in the front end that I've not previously experienced with my CBR900RR, CBR929, GSX-R1000, or ZX10R. Although these other bikes are more nimble, they don't match the MV feeling and I would never go back.

Senna 1000, 06 zx10r - past 82 kz750, 82 gpz750, 87 1000 ninja, 92 cbr900rr, 2000 cbr929, 03 gsx-r1000
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 AM

MVASYD,

Thanks for the write up and pics. We love seeing this type of MV action. It sure is fun going to the track with a buddy both paired with MV's. Thomas and I do the same, but he now uses a Honda instead of his SPR, stupid him.

Nonetheless, I wish I had more track experience at a younger age as I would certainly be more adept at the skill set needed and balls required. Seems that >20 yrs of marriage has shrunken mine. Anyway, I love the way your set up is, and wish you lots of luck in future outings.

Using our MV's both on the road and track is what it is all about.

Peter
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 10:17 AM

i know speed is all about the rider, but leaving K7's behind in the straight is impressive.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM

Nice write up, look forward to hearing how your next outing goes with new tyres and better tuned suspension.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode