312 - MCN Test - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

312 - MCN Test

Whilst it gets a reasonable track write-up, particularly along the straights, MCN have also given the 312 a bit of criticism.....namely too heavy (26kg over a Gixer K6), too track focussed, too difficult to set up, and and 8 year old design starting to get left behind....What do they know?!

They are taking it to Bruntingthorpe Proving Ground (with mega straight) next week and putting against an R1. Hopeful of a good result on that one!

I have a pdf of a scan of the test but would not know what to do with it on this site.
Tont

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:44 AM

Any reference to the dreaded 5K surge or fuelling in general ?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:54 AM

You can just attach the pdf as if you were attaching a picture in a thread. I tried it earlier, and it worked, so it should work for you.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:55 AM

Thanks for the info. I would have to say I dont understand why the Agusta weighs so much over the literbikes. Mind I have yet to own an Agusta and I am doing a lot of digging around on it but that is one thing I have noticed it doesnt lack...and that is weight! Surely that much of a weight diff will affect handling? I know that the ZX 6r 600cc though it might be is infinitely flickable, surely the Agusta with the bigger 1000cc engine and the 26 kilos over the Zook should not be as agile?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
any liter bike will be less flickable than a 600.... MV's are heavier, but I don't seem to have a problem with handling and flicking the bike around.... I have done a few mods to lighten the bike up a bit and help to turn better (haven't weighed it yet) but even in stock form.... the bike is fun to ride. the bike is really simple to work on yourself....(try that with a jap bike) and really easy to understand how to take apart (try that too). I can have the fairings off, change oil, check the entire bike for loose bolts, leaks, proper clearances, wires, change radiator fluid, check blinker fluid level (just kidding on that one), and install all the fairing back on in less than 2 hours... and thats taking smoke breaks , beer breaks , and more smoke breaks.....
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

312 - MCN Test

Test as attached. Reference the weight...I don't find it a problem as the handling generally is sublime, the bike is through the bends before I have even thought about setting up for the bend! They don't mention the 5k surge so assume that is solved. They do mention that the fuelling is a pain when riding in 1st gear and generally around town. My R doesn't suffer from this, and luckily I don't get a 5k surge to speak of, just a mild delay when levelling throttle at that speed (which I never do anyway!).
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 070404_mv_test.pdf (298.6 KB, 218 views)

...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:26 AM

Told ya it would work... Thanks alot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:36 AM
Wink

This weight thing certainly seems to be a big issue these days (for the biking press that is) perhaps they could make things clearer by doing a weight comparison with some of the Japanese litre bikes, i.e. weight of engine, weight of wheels and suspension and weight of frame/chassis so that the finger can be pointed at where the difference/s are.

I accept their point about the F4 being an 8 year old design however. With the Japanese constantly revising their offerings every 12 months or so, I suppose it was inevitable the MV was going to get left behind somewhat but I still won't be selling my bike for a GSXR1ZX10RCBRR anytime soon! I'm a 48 year old design myself so how could I criticise an 8 year old one!!

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:41 AM

Haha great post John. I think the MV is a timeless design...but still...the one thing irks me is the headlight area...I love the Ducati style headlights...the 1098...better than one on the Agusta for example...Thats about it...and if they could make it more...swoopy...and streamlined...like you see in some studio sketches for bikes...that would prob enhance the look more...but the bike is already as close to perfect as is possible....
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:48 AM Thread Starter

48 yr model myself...and my R is staying with me for a good while yet....MCN signed off the test with the usual 'get e better bike for a good deal less money by buying an R1/GSXR/Blade'....maybe so....but its an R1/GSXR/Blade...precisley the reason I bought the MV. The wow/pride factor I get each time I return to my MV when its parked up at a meet is second to none!

...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode