New member with a f4 750 in need. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

Smile New member with a f4 750 in need.

Hi a quick intro my names Antony, I am 23 years of age and come from Nottingham (robin hood county) England, UK.

A long story short my father passed away four years ago and i acquired his 2001 f4 750 (he always swore that he would never sell the bike so it has quite a lot of sentimental value to myself)

Now four years ago i wasn't in a good enough financial situation to run the mv and at 19 was abit young, so it has been in storage since, In the mean time i have browsed on here and gained experience on Japanese sports bike's etc.

Well this year is the year the mv is coming out too play, having sold my other bike's and settled into my own home i am ready to splash the cash on the italian beauty

So ive put together a job list of things to do/maintain or replace on the old girl, please feel free to add to the list if i have missed anything.

I have already replaced the battery, changed the oil and filter and put some fuel in and it run's. The bike has covered 10,000 miles from new

My list is as follows;
Clean fuel tank, replace fuel fittings for metal one's (already purchased)
Replace fuel filter and all fuel line's' (already purchased)

Modify the fuel pump housing by this i mean follow the guide on here and fill the groove in the tank to avoid trapping the o-ring (still need to purchase o-ring)

I'm thinking of ultrasonically cleaning the injectors (thoughts on this?)

I am going to send the forks and rear shock to k-tech to be serviced etc and setup for my weight.

Bleed all brakes and clutch

The head bearings feel ok, no roughness or play, is it worth stripping and greasing these? Same goes for the front wheel bearings?

The rear hub feels ok, but i have no faith in the standard one after reading on here so i think the mitchy hub is the only way forward. Are these still available?

The wellnuts in the airbox will be replaced following the guide on here.
The airfilter will be cleaned and spark plugs changed

Valve clearance's will be checked although my father was very meticulous in his servicing so these should be within spec.

throttle bodies will be cleaned/balanced and tps reset.

I have purchased the racing waterpump from designcorse this will be fitted with new antifreeze and muzzey cooling fan blades

I have purchased a radiator brace from gotojoe to prevent the rad from cracking.

Tyre's will be replaced with metzeler racetec k3's

Have i missed anything off my list?
I do apologise for the long post.
Regards antony

Just a quick pic of how the bike stands
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-03-2014, 04:00 PM

Welcome aboard Antony !
Well I think You did already some good job on her.
Sure the brake fluid and tires should be changed.
Once You get the air box off than sure change the well nuts.
Other than that I would ride the thing first and enjoy it.
Why bother with all the upgrades and parts exchange ?
If it has the twin radiator set up than overheating is not a problem.
So is it with a well cared rear hub.
Hey come on mine is the same age I have no Muzzy, Mitchy, Antifreeze, etc.
And the old girl runs fine.
So ride it like You stole it.
The F4 loves to run fast.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 08:02 AM

I have the 2000 F4 model with twin rads fitted, same Sil/Ferraci pipes as you with a power commander III.
Yours looks like a conversion to single seat, beautiful condition by the way!
That's a very comprehensive list of jobs you have there antonyf4750, well done!
I can see that you want to remove any threat of problems, so would I if I had the cash, particularly Mitchy's Hub?

Is there any sign of heat damage to the fairings bellypan on the right side(as you sit on her)? I can't see well enough from your pic, but she seems ok.
I have seen several F4750's with damage there(browned paint and cracks in the fairing). Check the heat shielding is good, consider extending it if you have issues.
The muzzy blades make sense, but if you are doing much riding in traffic/30MPH limits try it out and consider fitting a manual fan switch, or ECU change to trigger fans on early before the heat has a chance to build up.

Just a thought regarding tyres,the Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa tyres (not the cheaper II's)now come with 120/65/17 profile(correct size for MV), would go well with a 180/55/17 rear.
These are a well reviewed road/track day tyre. not brilliant in the wet, but I don't ride in the wet if I can avoid it.

Last edited by MVBERT; 01-04-2014 at 08:13 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

The bike was originally a solo seat, my father purchased a 1+1rear subframe and another seat unit. Unfortunately after his death some parts were lost between nottingham and kent, this means I have the pillion footrests and the 1+1 seat unit as spare. it makes swapping so much easier. However I haven't got the standard bits that have been replaced with carbon or the single seat rear subframe.

Yea I want to be pro active with replacing parts that can fail, I like to ride quick and I want 100% confidence in a fast sweeping bend that nothing is going to fail.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM

My list is as follows;
Clean fuel tank, replace fuel fittings for metal one's (already purchased) Good idea ( alot of guys only change the male part for metal and leave the plastic females be as they aren't the problem.

Modify the fuel pump housing by this i mean follow the guide on here and fill the groove in the tank to avoid trapping the o-ring (still need to purchase o-ring)

I'm thinking of ultrasonically cleaning the injectors (thoughts on this?) I wouldn't unless there was a problem with fuel injection.

I am going to send the forks and rear shock to k-tech to be serviced etc and setup for my weight.

Bleed all brakes and clutch ............Use Dot 4....never Dot 5

The head bearings feel ok, no roughness or play, is it worth stripping and greasing these? Same goes for the front wheel bearings?.................Just check the steering bearing adjustment and the fronts for smooth spinning and leave well alone....

The rear hub feels ok, but i have no faith in the standard one after reading on here so i think the mitchy hub is the only way forward. Are these still available?..... This is a judgement call. The oe are known to fail. Some don't some do for various reasons...

The wellnuts in the airbox will be replaced following the guide on here......Use Metal rivnuts on the rear locations in the airbox.

The airfilter will be cleaned and spark plugs changed...Iridium plugs seem to be the favourite ...

Valve clearance's will be checked although my father was very meticulous in his servicing so these should be within spec........ No harm in doing this but for me if I had the last service interval and status is within tolerance, I would do at the next service time....Refer to Donsy's manuals at the top of Maintenance section ....and print yourself a workshop manual for the bike.

I have purchased the racing waterpump from designcorse this will be fitted with new antifreeze and muzzey cooling fan blades

I have purchased a radiator brace from gotojoe to prevent the rad from cracking. ( Good ) Samco hoses are nice and also better at shedding heat than oe...

Nice to see you paying attention to detail...Have a look at my post " proactive on the wheel nut" too.

joe
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 04:11 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonyf4750 View Post
Hi a quick intro my names Antony, I am 23 years of age and come from Nottingham (robin hood county) England, UK.

A long story short my father passed away four years ago and i acquired his 2001 f4 750 (he always swore that he would never sell the bike so it has quite a lot of sentimental value to myself)

Now four years ago i wasn't in a good enough financial situation to run the mv and at 19 was abit young, so it has been in storage since, In the mean time i have browsed on here and gained experience on Japanese sports bike's etc.

Well this year is the year the mv is coming out too play, having sold my other bike's and settled into my own home i am ready to splash the cash on the italian beauty

So ive put together a job list of things to do/maintain or replace on the old girl, please feel free to add to the list if i have missed anything.

I have already replaced the battery, changed the oil and filter and put some fuel in and it run's. The bike has covered 10,000 miles from new

My list is as follows;
Clean fuel tank, replace fuel fittings for metal one's (already purchased)

I'm thinking of ultrasonically cleaning the injectors (thoughts on this?)

Bleed all brakes and clutch

The head bearings feel ok, no roughness or play, is it worth stripping and greasing these? Same goes for the front wheel bearings?

The rear hub feels ok, but i have no faith in the standard one after reading on here so i think the mitchy hub is the only way forward. Are these still available?

The wellnuts in the airbox will be replaced following the guide on here.
The airfilter will be cleaned and spark plugs changed

Valve clearance's will be checked although my father was very meticulous in his servicing so these should be within spec.

I have purchased a radiator brace from gotojoe to prevent the rad from cracking.

Have i missed anything off my list?
I do apologise for the long post.
Regards antony
Hey Antony, Sorry to hear about your Father, you have indeed made the right choice of keeping the MV in your family. I'm sure where ever your Father is, he will be pleased with that. Welcome aboard!

Last edited by MrAgusta; 01-08-2014 at 07:10 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 01:14 PM Thread Starter

well, today i checked the valve clearances and surprisingly all the inlet valve were tight, the worst being 0.12

and two exhaust valves were loose,cyl 4 0.32 and 0.33mm

shims have been ordered so thats one job out of the way
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2014, 02:26 PM

Hi Antony, great looking F4 by the way. I am in your area and also have an F4750.
Best advice is from Haupti above, just get out and ride it and enjoy it, all the mods and upgrades can wait for winter tinkering lol. This forum is the best place for advice, tips and improvements, more info than a dealer! you can spend hours reading and feeding your new found addiction! Enjoy it Jon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensonF4 View Post
Hi Antony, great looking F4 by the way. I am in your area and also have an F4750.
Best advice is from Haupti above, just get out and ride it and enjoy it, all the mods and upgrades can wait for winter tinkering lol. This forum is the best place for advice, tips and improvements, more info than a dealer! you can spend hours reading and feeding your new found addiction! Enjoy it Jon
this site is definately the best for anything mv, everything on my list is done so far and more
the only thing i need is the mitchy hub hopefully should have enough spends to get it by the end of march

i've yet too ride the bike so hopefully with all the upgrades it should be a hoot roll on summer!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode