another new guy - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

another new guy

Hello everyone, I live in Charlotte, NC and I am considering buying a 2006 F4 1000s with 16k miles, ferraci exhaust, upgraded cooling fans, ferraci rear sets and power commander. I know nothing about MV Agusta bikes other than they are beautiful. Anything I should look at or ask other than service history or damage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Welcome to the family.....Service History is most important. Rear hub bearings are susceptible to damage if chain has been run tight or pinch bolts over torqued. The hub should have been serviced a couple of times at 16K miles.

You have in Charlotte one of the best MV techs in the country....The service manager at the Charlotte BMW, Ducati, Triumph, MV dealership on the south side. Ask Michael if he is familiar with the bike, and take it there for inspection if you can.

Great bikes and very reliable if maintained well, and easy to work on.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info, the bike is actually in Georgia about 4 hours away from me. you can find it on the Atlanta craigslist, heck you may even be familiar with it

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4237602129.html
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Michael used to be the service manager at Triumph-Ducati-MV of Atlanta...probably when this bike was sold....
There aren't a huge amount of MVs in the US, much less Atlanta....wonder if the owner is a member here? Very possible I have met him.

Anyway, looks to be a good deal...especially with a full extra set of body parts!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 02:42 PM

BTW she has 3,900 miles.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 04:34 PM
Established Member

There is a few write ups on here on the MV F4 1000 common faults. One of the main issues I believe is the over heating issues with 1000cc MV's. They tend to run hot and it's common to see high temperature readings on the tacho. The way some forum members deal with this issue is to install the metal fan blades (muzzy's) and upgrade the water pump impellers to metal instead of plastic. Forum members have also run a specific coolant to reduce heat known as ICE. Some members have gone as far as cutting holes/vents in their fairings and exhaust heat wrap to tackle the over heating issues. The rear hub bearing is a big one for many forum members. These bearings are largely inexpensive to sort but require correct application of torque and inspection periodically. DO NOT high pressure wash your bike as water penetrates the rear wheel bearing seal and it will rust and fail. If dropped in previous ownership, check that the upper fairing mirror stays aren't bent. It really shows as the side it was dropped on (depending how hard) the mirror will be slightly out of whack. Check that the radiators have no cracks at the top corners where they are bolted (known to fail due to sagging over time), these can be prevented by installing a simple DIY bracket available on EBAY or on the site. The next thing and pretty much the last major concern is fuel lines and fuel line adapters. These are something to pay attention to IMO and are easily remedied by a DIY upgrade should you decide to do that. Fuel lines are known to give and so are the fittings. They are plastic and have a lifespan. Parts are sometimes hard to find for these bikes, they can also be very expensive. Overall check the bike over but buy with confidence as MV Agusta early year models were well built and offer many exciting experiences should you acquire one. Good Luck!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
BTW she has 3,900 miles.
What makes you think that?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-08-2014, 05:00 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evans44 View Post
Hello everyone, I live in Charlotte, NC and I am considering buying a 2006 F4 1000s with 16k miles, ferraci exhaust, upgraded cooling fans, ferraci rear sets and power commander. I know nothing about MV Agusta bikes other than they are beautiful. Anything I should look at or ask other than service history or damage?
Welcome in advance and I'll let the other wise mean do the talking as I'm quite new to this forum and MV as well.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode