Silmoto - MVAgusta.net
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 09:25 AM Thread Starter

Silmoto

So, a while back I purchased a set of silmoto tailpipes for a (european based) member here. They were advertised/sold as being in excellent condition, and after a couple of messages money was transferred and the package sent ......

What arrived was an old lightweight cardboard oil packing box with the pipes inside wrapped in a single sheet of bubble-wrap, occupying about 60% of the space so free to jiggle around. Once the cans were pulled out, this is what I found .....

Clearly not what I'd describe as "excellent" condition ...... On contacting the seller, I was told to speak to the (UK) post office, as they must have damaged them. The UK post office said that if the box was insured, the sender would have to speak to the original carrier, as the insurance would be with him/them. He said he tried, but they told him I'd have to claim from the UK post office ......

I was then offered a full refund ...... however I would have to pay to return them to the seller (70), and only the cost of the pipes, not the original postage (60) would be refunded, or the seller would be out of pocket It was however acceptable that I as purchaser would be 130 out of pocket ......

Deciding that whichever way it went I seemed to be the loser getting screwed over, I went to see a local chap I know who does exhaust work, to see if he could help me out ...... and he said he could re-sleeve the cans, but in Stainless Steel rather than the Titanium fitted. He would also be able to sort out the hanging brackets rather than the cobbled together things they came with. Unfortunately though, he was stacked out with work so I would have to wait until the end of summer for him to do anything ..... I told the seller I intended to keep the pipes and go down this route, as it would be the most economical for both of us, and asked if perhaps he might like to contribute to the cost ....... to which there was no reply ........

Anyway, a few weeks ago I finally got the bike back up to him to see what could be done, and this is the result:

I'm very happy with how they've turned out, and they sound awesome without being offensive the brackets are much tidier, and all the work done for the grand sum of 50

Now, I've deliberately kept the sellers name out of this, as I have no proof whether or not the damage was done in transit and have just chalked it up to internet transaction experience...... though perhaps the response in resolving the issue was less than desirable ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adecritten View Post
Great post.

"Out of the ashes"........................I can appreciate how pissed of you would have been, but with the damage limitation standing you in at 50 I think that the finished result is excellent.

Another possible option (providing this was the only damage that is) would have been to have swivelled the sleeves on the rivets so any damage was at the bottom..

I'm glad it turned out all right in the end...The seller got off very lightly.. Without any doubt they should have taken them back, full refund and paid the postal costs all wrapped up in a big apology.

I am in Export and Industrial Packaging and I don't think the average person realizes how kid gloves are not standard issue at the Post Office....However football boots are.

And Ade...I think your expression " swivel your sleeves" should pass into English language as a bostin way to say " sort it yourself mate "
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 AM

New Site Garage
Well... It does look great in the end!

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 11:26 AM

very nice, would like to see a pic of the whole bike with them on

looking good though.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to nikamilla Send a message via Skype™ to nikamilla
Thats exactly the reason I feel scared buying something off the internet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 05:04 PM

Glad it worked out ok, they will be heavier, but they look very good, nice work for 50, same pipes as me.
As for peoples ability to pack something with any degree of intelligence.....

The seller was fully to blame, not a lot of honor going there with his response.

Now you can blat your mates eardrums when they follow you, just like me
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Established Member

Great outcome from a bad start.
Wow they look awesome, that's the way SilMoto should have made them in the first place.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-29-2013, 06:18 PM

No one's fault

I believe we all stand to learn something from this experience - as this is a perfect example of how accidents can happen with no fault on the seller or buyer.

I believe it says something on the sellers behalf when they extend to refund your money. Having said that, could you confirm that it was the UK post office? Also, how much did you insure the item for?

When I sell something online, I always offer the option to to add additional insurance (buyer pays) to match the value of the item, with FedEx and UPS, etc. If I recall, they each provide a modicum of protection (insurance) automatically ($100?). The key here is that if the item is valued at greater than $100, make sure that the extra you pay will actually cover the replacement costs. For example, there are certain items some carriers will not pay replacement value. In these circumstances, there are 3rd party insurers.

Any reputable shipper will return a package at no cost, to either party, if the item is damaged. That is unless the shipper can demonstrate that the packaging was insufficient. And the only time they are going to be able to show that is if the package falls apart while it's in their hands.

As I am not familiar with the UK post office or how damaged goods in transit are dealt with, I will leave that up to you. It would be helpful for others if you detailed any additional information the post office provided on this matter.

Best of luck to you my friend.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2013, 01:41 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Wink packing?

I ship stuff all over the World....never a problem (lately)

back in the '70 the Army Post Office broke a 2" thick teak cutting board I made for my parents.....they had to have driven a truck over it, with one end up on a curb

you have to pack things correctly, all my boxes, peanuts and bubble pack are free, I buy clear tape, fiber re-enforced paper tape and box staples for my air powered carton stapler

ask Mitch how I ship hubs.......you can throw them off a 3 storey building with no damage
NicholasF4 and NicholasF4 like this.

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-02-2013, 09:48 AM

Tell us the name of the seller !

www.mv-agusta.es using motorcycle app.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode