2005 F4 Fuel tank questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

2005 F4 Fuel tank questions

Hey guys - I have my 2005 F4 1000 apart chasing a rough running problem. I managed to break one of those damn plastic fuel-line quick-disconnects, so have those nice metal ones on order, but have another question. There appear to be 3 attachment points for hoses under the tank. Two are moulded into the base plate, and one is on a tube coming out of that silver cylinder that protrudes out of bottom. On my bike, the only hose to those three was one drain hose on the left side. Are the other two just vent holes?

I've been poring over the parts diagrams, and it looks like the two moulded holes are both drain holes and should have tubes that join and go to the drain tube. I can't find any unused tubes lurking in the innards of my bike.

The bike is relatively unmolested engine-wise, with only 5000 miles, so wondering if something is missing or this setup is normal?

TIA, Ted

Ted

Atlanta, GA
2005 MV F4 1000
2004 Aprilia Tuono
2001 Ducati ST4
2003 KLX 400

All used, all abused.....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 03:40 PM

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 06:27 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Thumbs up Tank redo!

Ted;
download the parts manual
go to page K02
that's a stock 1000S (USA) diagram

what you want to do is;
>keep hoses #4 & #6 attached to the top of the tank remove the other ends (incl #5)
>keep hose #7 attached to #11
>remove #21 from #19 both sides and #17 & #18 too
>remove everything else, the cannister and mounts

now go to the auto parts store and buy;
>4 vacuum caps to fit #19s
>a 3/16" wye for #4, #6 and #7
>a package of JB Weld Kwik to plug the holes in the fuel pump plate left by removing #5 & #6 and the notches in the fuel pump plate mount that cuts O-rings
>a new fuel filter

when you're done, life will be simple

check #22 & #23 for leaks
also the clamps on the TBs

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Noel -

I did find the other lengthy posts about fuel tank mods. Upon further inspection, it appears previous owner already capped off the vacuum hoses, but left the cannister and associated hoses inside the tank. I will do the rest of the mod and recheck all the hoses to make sure there is not a leak somewhere. Already did the filter.

Thanks, Ted

Ted

Atlanta, GA
2005 MV F4 1000
2004 Aprilia Tuono
2001 Ducati ST4
2003 KLX 400

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 02:06 PM

Wink

Ted;
the silver cylinder is the vacuum operated fuel pressure regulator, in MV's finite knowledge they don't use the feature

the other 2 fittings you are going to plug on the inside, then wye the 2 lines together and connect to #11

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Noel -

I took it apart again and removed the hoses and canister and did the 2 to 1 hose mod. Plugged the holes. Took it out for a test and it ran OK for 5 mins, then started again with the rough running - like it was cutting out one or two cylinders. Not fuel starvation - it does it with tank cap open. I have already replaced the EGR relay and relocated slightly farther away from the heat. So, I think it is not that. Suspect something electrical now - ECU maybe? Getting frustrated and may have to take it to a professional.

Anyone in Atlanta area have a preferred MV mech? I have had good luck with MSP for my Ducati, and would rather not go all the way to Dahlonega....

Regards, Ted

Ted

Atlanta, GA
2005 MV F4 1000
2004 Aprilia Tuono
2001 Ducati ST4
2003 KLX 400

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-15-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Oops - I meant EBS relay, not EGR....

Ted

Atlanta, GA
2005 MV F4 1000
2004 Aprilia Tuono
2001 Ducati ST4
2003 KLX 400

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:15 PM

Thumbs up

change the fuel filter every 7,500 mi......if you live with ethanol

change it with your oil at 3,750 mi

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-16-2013, 09:22 PM

Wink

Ted;
you mess with the fuel lines and it runs OK for 5min......what could change?

you disturbed/added sediment to the fuel filter

check the lines between the pump/filter/plate they are notorious for loosening, leaking, blowing off

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Found the problem!

Well, after doing everything I could possibly think of, I finally caved in and took it to a local shop, MSP cycles here in Atlanta. They basically repeated all the checks I did - took apart the whole fuel system again and checked all hoses. Checked plugs and electrical connections. No bad readings from any of their analytical equipment. It was actually funny - He told me he had checked online, and from his comments about what he looked for, I could tell he had referenced THIS forum!

When they had it back together, they noticed a very slight fuel leak coming from one of the grey quick-disconnect fittings at the injector manifold. Upon further inspection, found one cracked and one split o-ring in that connector. Replaced them, and now it pulls strongly all the way to redline. In fact, they put it on their dyno and it showed 161 HP and close to 70# at the peak! Holy shit, is that possible? No wonder this bike scares the crap out of me when I really get on it.....

Anyway, props to them for figuring it out - they were very fair, also - spent a lot of time fooling with it and only charged me for 3 hours labor, so I figure I got off easy.....Thanks again for all the help, guys.

Ride safe, Ted

Ted

Atlanta, GA
2005 MV F4 1000
2004 Aprilia Tuono
2001 Ducati ST4
2003 KLX 400

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode