Tach and Speedo not working - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Tach and Speedo not working

2006 f4i.
I literally havent even rode this bike since Ive owned it. Everything worked fine on test starts a month ago, I come back from work and fire it up and NOTHING. I dont even have turn signals now either.
I just dont understand this bike really, it went from working perfectly fine to completely breaking down sitting in the same exact spot.

Where is the RPM pickup sensor?
Where is the wheel sensor for speed or is it part of the tach issue?
The needle spins at startup just not while the bike is actually running
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biglipps66 View Post
2006 f4i.
I literally havent even rode this bike since Ive owned it. Everything worked fine on test starts a month ago, I come back from work and fire it up and NOTHING. I dont even have turn signals now either.
I just dont understand this bike really, it went from working perfectly fine to completely breaking down sitting in the same exact spot.

Where is the RPM pickup sensor?
Where is the wheel sensor for speed or is it part of the tach issue?
The needle spins at startup just not while the bike is actually running
Well try and get on a positive note and you may find the fault is something as simple as a dirty or blown fuse..

Look at the manuals and get to know your bikes basic systems...Then you'll find diagnosis and rectification of simple faults a pleasure and not a chore...

A cheap multimeter would be your best friend in the present scenario ..

joe
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 01:35 PM
Established Member

New Site Garage
I had that problem. Was the 7.5 amp fuse.Caused by a short in the number plate light.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

There was just a bit of frustration in the post and a little venting! Ive been working on cars and bikes for almost 20 years and this one has been the most frustrating thats all

All fuses checked ok.

Ill just have to check into the service manual again and see where to start with the voltage measuring and all
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-13-2013, 10:34 PM

New Site Garage
One problem at a time mate, is the bike starting now ? If not, battery is dead, well know fact that in most cases you have to put the bike on a battery tender if left unattended for long periods of time.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-14-2013, 03:42 AM

Quote:
There was just a bit of frustration in the post and a little venting! Ive been working on cars and bikes for almost 20 years and this one has been the most frustrating thats all

All fuses checked ok.

Ill just have to check into the service manual again and see where to start with the voltage measuring and all
Ha ...we all get a bit p'd from time to time..

I've done alot of work with MV's and also Moto Guzzi BMW and Laverda and Honda bikes and what I can say is that without doubt the MV is the easiest and nicest bike to work on. Add to that a range of fantastic manuals and parts information ( Free on this site in maintenance section thanks to Donsy ) ..and then all the help you could want from guys on the forum..including technical advice and a nice pool of spares availability.

You're not on your own ; )

I always say when there is a Gremlin in there, don't try to go straight to the instant diagnosis, rather refer to the manual and do a logical procedure of elimination to "root" out the problem rather than guessing at it.
and Donsy has kicked it off in the right direction by asking .."will the bikes engine start ? "

joe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Starts and runs great for sure yes. Im waiting on my Windows laptop to charge up so I can see if the power commander is at least getting RPM signal, then at least Ill know if its a gauge related problem hehe. I just havent had the time to tinker with it at all, I just wanted to ride the darn thing!
Luckily I have a nice new Harley Street Glide to hold me over until I find a moment to mess with this one hah
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 08:57 PM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Starts and runs great for sure yes. Im waiting on my Windows laptop to charge up so I can see if the power commander is at least getting RPM signal, then at least Ill know if its a gauge related problem hehe.
If the bike is running, then the ECU is getting signal, the PC is not involved with signal to the dash.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
The Following User Says Thank You to Donsy For This Useful Post:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode