First mv, need advice. - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:01 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

First mv, need advice.

Hey guys decided to jump on the forums as it is always a lot easier to work on a bike with advice from people who have already done it.

just bought a 2005 MV f4s last week with 19k miles on it, and it is in need of a little love. previous owner dropped it in a parking lot and gave it some minor scratches on the left side. from what I can tell it seems to run well, but has a really bad oil leak from the valve cover gasket, new gasket is on the way. also when its running it has a loud tapping/clicking noise sounds a lot like a Ducati dry clutch..is this normal? Is there anything else I should be looking at as far as safety/reliability issues with it

I live in southern California close to San Diego. any advice on good shops in the area or parts suppliers would be greatly appreciated. also. or advice in general, I'm pretty decent at working on bikes, I've had my 07 zx6 torn completely down to the frame at one point, but am a little nervous taking apart one that is this expensive never dreamed I would actually own the most beautiful bike ever built...

thanks in advance for any help Micah k.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Welcome!

Micah;
Welcome to the Forum

good dealership is in Escondido, Moto Forza, Balz Renggli, the owner is a member here (crash2much)
760-746-6001

here are some useful links;
http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/show...and-tips/page2

http://www.mvagustauk.net/forum/show...&p=981#post981

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=10615

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 10:19 PM

New Site Garage
Welcome to the forum mate.
Lots of info in the F4 section as well as the Maintenance question.
You might want to look at that loud tapping sound sooner rather than later, I'm thinking timing chain tensioner damaged.
Download the engine and chassis workshop manuals from the indicated site and have a good read.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 PM

Wink

Micah;
download a manual from Donsy's site.....i prefer them printed
I think Donsy is probably right about the cam chain tensioner.......do you have a mechanic's stethoscope? because the primary drive is a bit noisy

a few seconds with the stethoscope will tell you

re; valve cover gasket, RTV both sides all the way around with a very light coat.....the manual says just at the cam cuts

i do the cover nuts too.....yes, they have O-rings want to do it twice?

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

awesome thanks for all the recommendations guys. I've already downloaded a copy of the engine manual, now just have to wait for the parts to get here. I don't have a mechanics stethoscope so that option is out. Is the cam tensioner a common problem with these bikes? I replaced my Kawasaki tensioner with an ape racing manual tensioner. from the manual it looks like this bike has an auto adjusting tensioner, is it a good idea to switch it to a manual or should I just replace it with an oem part.

Donsy many thanks for the shop manual uploads, they are so much better than my kawasaki shop manual. Now I just need to buy another printer and print the whole thing out.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 01:01 AM

New Site Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by white07zx6r View Post
Is the cam tensioner a common problem with these bikes? I replaced my Kawasaki tensioner with an ape racing manual tensioner. from the manual it looks like this bike has an auto adjusting tensioner, is it a good idea to switch it to a manual or should I just replace it with an oem part.
No problem Micah. As for the tensioner, not so much a problem as there being an updated version available for some of the earlier models, have a search through the Maint section I think, there's a few discussions on this topic.
Get the updated MV tensioner, and have a look at the bottom of my website (manual), there's a official instruction .pdf you can download.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-06-2013, 09:58 AM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...hain+tensioner

easy fix

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 12:26 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Excellent write up Ian... Since the valve cover has to come off anyways, I might as well just order the tensioner now. I checked it and it definitely still has the old style tensioner installed
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 06:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
You will find the MV much easier to work on than your Kwacker was...fear not. And MV's do have a pretty noisy engine compared to Japanese bikes...but doesn't it make glorious sounds???

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-07-2013, 09:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
....... And MV's do have a pretty noisy engine compared to Japanese bikes...but doesn't it make glorious sounds???
best statement you ever made Ed

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode