What radiator fits - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

What radiator fits

I'm wondering what later model radiators fit the 2003 F4s model? If not, which ones would fit (it's to replace a cracked radiator)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 07:20 PM

New Site Garage
All the double radiators where the same, up to 2009 model.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 10:15 AM

Depends on how much you want to spend. For $2000 you can get an aftermarket radiator. Check out H2O performance

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:38 PM

So fellas, is a super radiator like Febur better in cooling for the bike ( road ) than a single radiator and dedicated oil cooler ?

joe
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 09:23 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post
So fellas, is a super radiator like Febur better in cooling for the bike ( road ) than a single radiator and dedicated oil cooler ?

joe
Joe;
NO, we need to fix the problems, not just use a giant radiator (you'll be making support rods for them for sure)

stock the 2 rad MV has 40% more core volume than a Ducati 1198 making the same amount of HP (heat)
and it gets HOT

PSSSST! the Ducati has a real oil cooler

the heat exchanger is a joke..... how much water can you push through 5' of 6mm tubing with a vane pump?????

I had a radiator modified for Donsy's race bike....
the pressure cap is on the right tank....the left tank is divided in half horizontally, the water pipe on the left is straightened and the bleed line to the header tank is gone
the header tank is no longer pressurized
it gravity feeds the valve in the filler neck.....and you never need to do the radiator bleeding monkey motions

MV on the '10 bikes got it a bit better by putting the cap on the right tank.....but then screwed up by using a crossover pipe instead of dividing the left tank

but they did follow Ducati's lead with an oil cooler (like on a Brutale)

if Febur sent me a free radiator, i would not even consider using it, as it adds even more weight to the bike

F4s need;
>ignition maps
>fuel maps
>to lose the "heat exchanger" anchor
>eliminate extra plumbing
>ventilate the fairing
>seal the triple clamp area so air doesn't bypass the radiator, like on my Aprilia RSVR
>add an oil cooler

Chris X81 with the MicroTec fixed the 1st 2, the rest is kind of up to you

get yourself a Brutale oil cooler adapter.....then you need an oil cooler, the '10+ MV radiator seems to be the easiest to hook up, Donsy started with a 848-1098-1198 one, i don't know what he has now

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2013, 01:54 AM

Thanks Noel. I did follow you and Donsy's lead by fitting a complete 2010 cooling system c/w oil cooler to my 2007 engined F4. This week I am taking her on the road so I'll give a report. As I have a sister bike with a standard double rad system I'll be able to give a rough comparison between the two systems. For me ( as I am sad lol ) it will be an interesting exercise.

I am curious about how the two different cooling circuits work on pulling heat from the engine.

In a simplistic way I see the 2010 having a upper rad which directly cools the cylinder head and barrels via the " jacket " and the oil cooler has a direct cooling effect on the oil itself which more efficiently cool the crank journals..

On pre 2010 the top end is cooled nicely but the oil is actually warmed in the intercooler ( useful while the engine is warming up ? )... When the engine is hot..The oil is getting very indirect cooling and maybe this is why the 312s occasionally shoot a big end bearing..certainly won't help matters.

Joe

Last edited by gotojoe; 08-17-2013 at 01:57 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 03:32 PM

I have an stock radiator with no cracks or fixings for sale if someone is interested.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 05:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotojoe View Post

joe
I know that it's not the question you're asking but I can confirm that a Febur radiator / Microtec combination on a 312R is significantly better than a standard setup. I have no opinion on the oil cooling system that you mention.
I can also assure you that the structural build of the Febur is a massive improvement on the standard radiator. There is no risk of an upper radiator failure.

It ain't what you ride, it's the way you ride it.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-29-2013, 09:49 PM

Not sure why Febur is getting bagged on but they make bang up products. Have owned numerous radiator set ups for various bikes over the years and have their rads on each of my bikes now(plus oil coolers). Just about every race team with high power superbikes use them or some variance(pace, pwr, and a few others). Granted the MV isn't a 200+whp monster but it will still benefit from an aftermarket radiator.

Are there cheaper ways to remedy the over heating? Yes.

Is a Febur radiator a worthy option for cooling? Yes, expensive, but yes.

Something nobody ever thinks about is keeping the oil temps cool and at a steady temp. A stand alone cooler can do wonders for controlling heat soak and fast rising temps. Just haven't figured out how to mount a cooler up in the F4 as the italians are not much on efficient design(i.e. headers sticking out at odd angles taking up way to much room under the panels and sitting way to close to the radiator) so getting something fitted under the bodywork might be a bit of a headache, if not impossible.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 AM

New Site Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by varium View Post
Something nobody ever thinks about is keeping the oil temps cool and at a steady temp. A stand alone cooler can do wonders for controlling heat soak and fast rising temps.
Are you sure about that .
Anyway, yes Febur makes great gear, not just radiators either.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode