2005 F4 All these sputtering What is going on? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

2005 F4 All these sputtering What is going on?

Well what you know, I had posted a thread sometimes ago 3-4 weeks or so ago about my f4 running on 3 cylinders and I start reading about all this sputtering threads.

I had that problem but worded as running in 3 cylinders because it was the same effect with my 4cylinder car that has one bad spark plug wire.

I guess sputtering is the right word.

The first time it happened after filling up the tank and not riding it for a good while 3-4+ weeks, and when I was getting out of the gas station it was fine for a mile or so and them started and rode it shifting down/up reving it to see if it would clear if was water but it did for a couple miles and suddenly it was normal, twist the throttle and everything is fine until a few miles later.
It dies on me as I am rolling downhill and I push the button and fires right up, sputters but it goes.

I get to my destination and it is fine, turn it off and after about 1hr later, I get on it turn it on and it sounds fine, ride home and everything is just fine.Park it.

Few days pass I start the bike, and warm it up, get on it go for a ride and all is fine not a single problem, 60 miles ride.

Another day take the bike out fire it up no problem and ride it not problem.

Yesterday I take it out and not long it start to sputter and it sputters and for a couple miles and then it is fine, I ride more and it happens again, I ride it it comes intermittently and on the last leg home it was fine. 40 miles ride. Staying close to home in case.
I've got just over 11k miles on it.
Anyone had the same type of experience?????????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM

I've had a similar experience. I changed gas stations, thinking that I may have gotten bad gas. I bought a fuel additive to help take out any water and make everything combustible. Nothing worked. I found myself revving the bike to get it off the line and I had to row through the gearbox to keep it from dying. Not fun.
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Mine did that when the ebs relay was failing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Own 2010 F4
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 04:00 PM
MVAgusta.net Sponsor

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to mitchy
You can try fitting Iridium spark plugs,they help with the stalling side of your problem.When you first start the bike is it running rich?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Bike- F4 1078.
Work.Email & Paypal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Work Phone (+61)0755244655
Facebook- Mitch Covington
Mobile-0423041326
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
You can try fitting Iridium spark plugs,they help with the stalling side of your problem.When you first start the bike is it running rich?
How do I know if it is running rich?
It sounds like always did and I don't have a clue!

I took the tank and the air box off and the air filter looks pretty dirty, it was supposed to have changed last time 7500 service, and I am going to change the fuel filter next, as soon as I get my hands on one, and will try to get the iridium plugs- can I get those in the regular auto shop?

Last edited by foguete4; 08-15-2013 at 08:09 PM.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stegen View Post
Mine did that when the ebs relay was failing.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

What is an ebs relay and what does it do?
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:41 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Your bike has an evaporative emissions canister in the tank...If all this started after a fill up it is possible you overfilled the tank and got raw gas into the canister. The carbon in the canister is breaking apart and restricting the fuel tank ventilation, or dumping high levels of fumes or even raw gas into the intake tract.

At any rate, yank that evap system out of the tank while you have it off to change the plugs. Search for the threads with instructions and diagrams....The Knurl's hose routing method is the best option.

And get a new EBS relay.....that is the "Engine Breaking System" relay that kicks in to help with back torque during decel downshifts (think slipper clutch).

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-15-2013, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Your bike has an evaporative emissions canister in the tank...If all this started after a fill up it is possible you overfilled the tank and got raw gas into the canister. The carbon in the canister is breaking apart and restricting the fuel tank ventilation, or dumping high levels of fumes or even raw gas into the intake tract.

At any rate, yank that evap system out of the tank while you have it off to change the plugs. Search for the threads with instructions and diagrams....The Knurl's hose routing method is the best option.

And get a new EBS relay.....that is the "Engine Breaking System" relay that kicks in to help with back torque during decel downshifts (think slipper clutch).
Thanks for the info I'll follow your instructions and will look for this carbon canister, and will find info for the (Knurl's hose routing method).

Again, I ain't a mechanic and know crap about engines so I will look up for these things, and will come back for more help.
I'll probably start this next week when I have a little more time.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 01:42 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy View Post
I just did this on mine and it helps a little bit. While on my previous 1000it was solved with these plugs. From what I could see on the dyno is that the sputtering is not because it is rich, but because it was lean on low revs. Above 5000 is was perfect. I will try the MV Corse ECU, that should solve the sputtering. Unless the technical people over say that it makes no sense...

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 08-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
foguete4.....not sure where Pacific Grove is, but Noel the Knurl lives in So Cal (Redondo Beach area??) and would probably be happy to help you with the cannister. He is very generous with his time and knowledge.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode