Heat Absorbing Pad Replacement for MY2010 F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Heat Absorbing Pad Replacement for MY2010 F4

Guys,

Now that I have the red SAMCO radiator hoses installed on my 2010 F4, I was buttoning up all the body panels and found the "wool fiber" heat insulation pads which mount against the exhaust catalytic converter are pretty ragged. There are two pads and one is 8" long with the other one being 12" long. They are each about 1/4" thick and appear to be this thick in order to really insulate the cat from the plastic belly pan.

I called a MV dealer and they told me you cannot order just the pads as you will also have to get the aluminum panels, too. Cost is about $150 for this kit.

Is there something in the auto industry I can buy, such as a sheet of this material, and cut my own? I know there are aluminized heat reflection sheets you can get but this is one time I think the factory had a reason for going with these very thick pads....they wanted absolute insulation from the belly pan not being melted by the cat.

Thanks!

The Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-11-2013, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head Tomcat View Post
Guys,

Now that I have the red SAMCO radiator hoses installed on my 2010 F4, I was buttoning up all the body panels and found the "wool fiber" heat insulation pads which mount against the exhaust catalytic converter are pretty ragged. There are two pads and one is 8" long with the other one being 12" long. They are each about 1/4" thick and appear to be this thick in order to really insulate the cat from the plastic belly pan.

I called a MV dealer and they told me you cannot order just the pads as you will also have to get the aluminum panels, too. Cost is about $150 for this kit.

Is there something in the auto industry I can buy, such as a sheet of this material, and cut my own? I know there are aluminized heat reflection sheets you can get but this is one time I think the factory had a reason for going with these very thick pads....they wanted absolute insulation from the belly pan not being melted by the cat.

Thanks!

The Tom
Head down to your local home depot. They sell a few options that would work for you. They have an aluminized heat shielding that's adhesive backed which works pretty well.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

I Do Not Think That will Work

The OEM thick fabric pads do not have any adhesive on them whatsoever. I found out the hard way with a carbon fiber exhaust cover which had that kind of aluminized heat shielding and was retained by some kind of tar-like black adhesive. It did not touch the exhaust pipe at all and still the heat totally melted the adhesive so it dribbled off the cover and melted to the pipe. Fortunately, this quickly became ash and was easy to rub off with a green scrub pad once things cooled down.

So, it appears the factory deliberately did not use shielding which had any adhesive as the heat is so intense that it will melt it. The OEM pads are thick enough (about 1/4") so that they are retained in place by size and not adhesive.

Still looking for whatever this fire-resistant material is.......

The Tom
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Banned

Wish you luck finding something that will work for you. My 2002 used this material installed by the previous owner for many years without issue. Different bike though and different heat situation. Keep looking. I'm sure you will find something that will work for your application.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode