squealing rear hub or rear stand - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

squealing rear hub or rear stand

People,

Yesterday I cleaned my bike including using a wheel cleaner around the rear hub. The bike was on the factory rear stand.

This morning when running the bike on the stand for around 1-2 minutes, there is a squeeling coming from the rear hub and rear stand area

The rear stand heats up.

The rear hub did not get hot

Do any others have a rear stand that heats up in use??

Cheers

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................

Last edited by Submariner; 07-28-2013 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:12 AM

New Site Garage
If it's the standard stand, you are melting the bush mate, they are not designded to run the bike.

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

eMial:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for a quick response Donsy, It is the standard stand. Just to be on the safe side I'll go out for a spin later and ride past the missus in neutral and see if she can hear a squealing sound.

Perhaps i am being overly worried that its the rear hub bearings as I did use a wheel cleaner which could contain degreasing agents and also used a hose pipe

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 AM

Bearings should be ok Paul so long as you didn't blast the area with high pressure water...

Did you have the bike in gear when it was on the stand ie wheel turning ? That would cause the stand spindle to heat up and expand .There are no bearings in the standard stand so no small wonder that it got hot in such an instance...Could even catch fire potentially...

Good luck with the Missus... ; )

Joe
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Cheers guys, there was no blasting with high pressure water. I am going to test ride the bike later though as I intend to track day it next Tuesday. Cheers

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:23 AM

I would only turn the back wheel by hand while on the rear stand A.E. to lube and clean the chain and clean the tire and rim. If you run the bike in gear while on the stand you will risk the chance of it falling and taking off, among other disastrous scenarios. You can take the bike off of the stand , lube the spindle .and put the bike back on Turn the wheel by hand and see if the squeak is still there. Good luck.
Chris.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Cheers cd, I have previously read about a poster who has had the bike fall of the stand and I have always been wary of this!! I will ride the bike in the next hour or so to check it out. Considering the advice above I am confident it was the rear stand

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

OK Guys, Thanks for your help so far. I have just been out on a short 20 minute ride and took the bike up to the same speed that it was squealing on the OE paddock stand.

On a very quiet road I then hit the kill switch and allowed the bike to coast. At this stage I thought I could hear the odd squeek now and again (every other second). This was a different squeek to the one which was on the paddock stand which was a constant high pitched noticeable squeal (enough for my wife to hear it from the bathroom despite me being in a closed garage). During the wide I had my Arai lid open and it is windy so that may have given me some noise.

I returned home after around 15-20 minutes and then undertook 3-4 slow ride pasts with my wife listening for any noise. Again this was with the engine off so in 'bicycle mode'. She couldn't hear anything.

When I got off the bike the hub was not abnormally hot and was as hot if not abit cooler than the rest of the chassis. As I pushed the bike into the garage there was still a slight squeek but certainly no squealing.

Surely this concludes that earlier the stand was probably to blame as stated above and perhaps there was some water in the hub which now seems to have gone away.

Thoughts would be appreciated as always.

Last edited by Submariner; 07-28-2013 at 12:43 PM.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 04:58 PM

New Site Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to Ian SAVS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

Thoughts would be appreciated as always.
After all that, I would feel pretty confident that the hub is fine and that it was the rear stand that was in fact making the noise.

What we've got here, is failure to communicate.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 06:08 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Melting the plastic bushing and running the risk of damaging your bike. You are very lucky the bike didn't slip off the stand and crash hard in front of you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode