New and about to trade my Duc 999 for a F4...Advice? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

New and about to trade my Duc 999 for a F4...Advice?

Hello everyone. I'm new to this forum but not to motorcycles. I have owned many bikes over the last 20 years but sadly not a MV...until now...i think.

So i'm looking at trading in my 2003 Ducati 999 with 8K miles for a 2001 F4 750 with about 3K miles + $2000 cash. I have always wanted a MV F4 750 but now it looks like it might happen.

So the bike i'm looking at is a one owner bike and looks to be in excellent condition. I was told it was mostly admired in his living room since new. All maintenance has been done (brake system and cooling system flushed, fresh synthetic oil plus fuel lines replaced and brand new tires. I guess i'm looking for any pointers from any of you guys. Is there anything I should know about? Problems that I should be looking for? Issues with 2001 models?

I thank anyone in advance that can point me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 07:43 PM

Welcome here.
First i would say don't be blinded by the beauty of the F4 750 alone. Compared to a Duc it's a complete different beast. In particular the torque compared to your Duc in the low and mid revs. I've had a Duc so i know. In 2003 i fell in love with the F4 and rented a 750F4 and B4 a couple of times. I was impressed by the handling and top end but disappointed by the low end. It felt like a 600 while i was used to 1000's fours and twins. I wanted to wait for the F4 1000s that time. But my financial situation didn't allow me to save enough money and i didn't want to loan. I bought a 2nd hand Duc and time went by. Until last year. The old flame started burning again and i decided to buy the bike i wanted almost 10years ago; the F4 1000s, not a modern version. I love it!

Since i've been at the position you are right now i would advice to go for a 1000 unless you settle for less torque and like a revy sportsbike with the charistics of a 600. I strongly advise you to ride a 750 and a 1000. Once you've made that choice and still want a 750, go for the 2002 EV02 or 2003 EV03 (only minor changes to the EV02).
MV's are quite solide but have some, like all brands, issues. Notorious are the rear hub bearings. You can find the issues on this forum.

Good luck!

Keep the rubber side down....

Last edited by Z3Mroadster; 07-10-2013 at 07:46 PM.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Well....it is a gorgeous bike....and it performs really well for a 12 year old model.
The 750 likes rpms...it is not a torquey engine like a twin. Keep it screaming and it will repay you with phenomenal performance.

The rear hub bearing problems are related to proper maintenance, so make sure you understand how to maintain chain tension correctly and use a torque wrench. The cooling system was not designed for city traffic, so understand that stop and go traffic will get temps up pretty high. There are countermeasures.

2001 is only the 2nd year of full production. Lot's of minor improvements in later years....but it is still a fine bike.

And this forum has a lot of helpful information and friendly people from around the globe. If you go for it we will welcome you to the family!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 11:06 PM

I agree with Z3Mroadster. Go for a 1000 if possible. The 750 will feel a tad anemic compared to your trip 9. Again, as Z3Mroadster said, the 2003 750 is more refined that the 2001, with the dual radiators and other tweaks. I had the chance to buy an almost new 2003 750 and am glad I waited for the right 1000S to come along. Good luck.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:12 AM

New Site Garage
I agree with Marco too. In 2002 I started with the F4 750 and I liked it very much but I could not wait for the 1000. The 1000 is a much more complete bike and has everything that the 750 missed. If tuned properly the 1000 has also a lot of torque on lower revs. Like a twin actually.

What a beast of a motorcycle!
It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

Skye I miss you. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 02:15 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad-turbo View Post
Obviously the 1000 has more torque than the 750, just as the 1078 has more than the 1000. Personally if the 750 has been looked after it will be a great bike and I guess the price suits you. I would advise you to go for the 750 and enjoy a rev happy F4. As the revs rise so will your enjoyment. Over 6500rpm you will notice a step up, another after 9000, then again after 11500. The 750s are so much fun, the 1000s are lazier. Keep us posted on your decision mate
Nah... not entirely. My 1000 had on the dyno till 7000 rpm more torque than my 1078. After 7000 rpm all hell breaks loose with the 1078; the overall character is much racier, while with the 1000 the curve is more smoothened.

It growls and rages and flies across the tarmac like a wild animal that has escaped the confinement of a cage and after merely waiting restlessly until the release, will not endure being locked up ever again.

post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:16 AM

Speaking as an owner who has access to both 750 and 1000 versions of the F4, I would say the 750 is more fun, it steers better, and the fact that it needs to be revved hard to perform unlike a 1000, it means you can have more fun pushing the bike and yourself.

To have fun on the 1000 you need a track, not a public road, unless you have a very understanding police force in your area which I don't have.

Going out for a ride with my mates on their "big bikes" my 750 has no problem keeping up, and despite being 12 years old it sure embarrasses a lot Rossi wannbees.

jimboF4
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 05:25 AM
Established Member

Corbin, my previous bike was a 998 Ducati. I agree with Z3Mroadster's assessment of the difference in engine characteristics between the Duc and the MV. I bought a much later model F4 than what you are considering and the difference in engine characteristics is still apparent. I have no doubt that you will fell a reduction in power if you choose the 750, but that should not prevent you from an enjoyable riding experience.

Whatever your decision, keep us all informed and take pictures...I wish you all the best for your decision.

Pete
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 07:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to silentservice703
Hello from the US, Corbin! From what part of the world do you hail?

The 750 version of the F4 is an excellent bike, even for its teething pains. This forum membership has experienced, and found cures for, many of its possible ills. I want to add a 750 to my garage, but haven't found the one I can afford at the right time.

It's different from the Duc, no doubt, but you've had inline fours previously so no big surprises there.

Are you getting 2k plus the F4 for your 999, or the other way around? I'm trying to figure value here.

Anyway, peruse the forum. Search for F4 750 and see what issues have cropped up with that generation. If you are a capable wrench, you will find the F4 easy to work on.

(Be careful in here....don't let the funhouse mirrors catch you out and get you lost.....)

Chuck

Gapalicious 2019 at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
from OCTOBER 2-6, 2019

Call (423) 519-2000 or (423) 253-6213 to reserve your Riverfront Cabin. PM me for The Crow's Nest reservation!!!

Email/Paypal:

My personal Cell Phone: (781) 223-3020

'07 F4 312R, '10 B4 1090RR, '15 B3 800RR
'07 Ducati Monster S4Rs, '07 Ducati Monster 695
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra-Classic Electra-glide CVO FLHTCUSEBLK
'63 Honda C100A Cub
'61 MVA TRA 125
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad-turbo View Post
That's very interesting, I would not have picked that based on simply riding both. Erik try to get a ride on a Tambo and let me know what you think.
Just to be sure, I am not talking about track use.
I dont't think that I can find a Tambo just to test haha!
The one at Dipi has 0 miles on it I believe...
Maybe I can find the the 1000 vs 1078 graphs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode